• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground at Barking

Status
Not open for further replies.

essexjohn

I have noticed that on Saturdays, some GOBLIN trains terminate at and start from platform 7 at Barking rather than the usual platform 1. These are not using East Ham depot. Can anyone explain this practice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It's not just Saturdays, PSUL gives the following as running to/from 7/8 on weekdays:
  • 2J98 0618MO Barking - Gospel Oak
  • 2J00 0632MX Barking - Gospel Oak
  • 2J02 0646SX Barking - Gospel Oak
  • 2J11 2007SX Gospel Oak - Barking
  • 2J14 2048SX Barking - Gospel Oak
  • 2J25 2150SX Gospel Oak - Barking
  • 2J39 2335SX Gospel Oak - Barking

At a guess, these are to retain route knowledge in the event of Platform 1 being unavailable.

essexjohn

Thanks for reply CyrusWuff, but these are trains from / to East Ham depot.
I want to know why some non stabling trains use platform 7 rather than the usual platform 1.

Established Member
I have noticed that on Saturdays, some GOBLIN trains terminate at and start from platform 7 at Barking rather than the usual platform 1. These are not using East Ham depot. Can anyone explain this practice?

Route knowledge reasons as above.

Class 170101

Established Member
Its for route knowledge as noted above but has been going on for years even before Silverlink started to use East Ham depot.

essexjohn

Thanks for all replies, so route learning it is. Seems a lot of journeys just to learn Barking Station Junction to Platform 7, leaving Upney Junction to East Ham depot via Platform for other times.
I wonder what the regular LO users from Barking think about the unpredictable platform use?

455driver

Veteran Member
Thanks for all replies, so route learning it is. Seems a lot of journeys just to learn Barking Station Junction to Platform 7, leaving Upney Junction to East Ham depot via Platform for other times.
I wonder what the regular LO users from Barking think about the unpredictable platform use?

No not route learning, route retention!

The drivers already sign the route but have to work over it once every so often (varies for each TOC) and these trips are a way of making sure they get the correct number of trips in over the time period so they dont have to be taken off to do a refresher!

If you actually read what people had written you would realise that!

duncanp

Established Member
I got caught by this a few weeks ago.

I went down to platform 1, and just missed a train.

I thought the next one would be in 15 minutes (14:03) , but the departure board said 14:18. So I (and quite a few other people) waited on Platform 1, and it was only just after 14:00 that I realised that the train was going from Platform 7. I made the train with seconds to spare, but there were several people who didn't.

I supposed I was to blame in that I shouldn't have assumed that all GOBLIN trains leave from Platform 1, but I do think that in these circumstances an announcement should be made to tell passengers that the next train is going from Platform 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.