• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground in chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Just logged in to the TfL service updates website at 09:52 to discover that over 75% of the LOROL network is either suspended due to power problems and signal failures, plus planned engineering work.

Last week was the turn of LUL to prove it's no ready for the Olympics with the Jubilee Line fiasco, now it's the turn of LOROL and NR to prove that they're just as unprepared, too...

North London / West London Line
Suspended between Stratford and Richmond/Clapham Junction due to power problems.

Watford DC Lines
Suspended between Euston and Watford Junction due to a signal failure in the Queens Park area.

Gospel Oak - South Tottenham (-Barking)
Suspended between Gospel Oak and South Tottenham due to power problems.

(Gospel Oak-) South Tottenham - Barking

Engineering Work. No service between South Tottenham and Barking.

East London Line
Engineering Work. No service between New Cross Gate and West Croydon / Crystal Palace.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrew bell

All engineering work is suspended during the weeks of the Olympics and Paralympics so any engineering work happening at the moment is to help improve the service. Power supply problems can happen anywhere at anytime as well as signalling problems. Personally I think the problems that we have everyone makes a big deal about it but honestly, what can anyone do if it goes wrong?

ChristopherJ

Exclude the engineering works and that's still the entire North London, West London, GOBLIN and Watford DC lines all suspended at the same time, when they should be operational.

Engineering work or no engineering work - it's a shambles.

LOROL might as well just not bother trying to operate a service in these conditions and just tell everyone to go back home to bed. I would. After all - it is Sunday.

GB

Established Member
Strange, can't see any mention of these incidents on the rail log.

tsr

Established Member
Does anyone know if there are any specific reasons why the end of this week has been the worst I can ever remember in the last few years for power outages on LU and LOROL?

Seriously - for an intensive and very well patronised set of systems, these networks generally do very well, but over the last few days there has been at least one mention of a power supply problem pretty well each and every time I have viewed NRE and TfL's websites - and that happens frequently, I can tell you!

bailey65

London overground is usually the most trouble free of the tocs must be having a bad day.
It will be good when the last link to clapham is finished and the full orbital railway is operational.

bailey65

With the olympics not far off now and all the recent problems and faults in london,the transport operators must be having sleepless nights.

Skoodle

There's only one common variable with the problems over the last week, sudden higher temperatures and high winds over the last few days. Winds knocked a branch onto the OHLE and caught fire, suspending the NLL, I don't know the causes of the other power supply problems but I'd imagine it could be down to the same things.

Chris999999

"Sudden high temperatures"! We have had temperatures which approached 29 degrees. These are not unusual at this time of year and they are certainly not high. Using this as an excuse is claiming incompetence.

ushawk

Established Member
Why do i get a feeling that Willesden Depot was affected by the problems ? If there are power problems there, then it would have major problems on the rest of the LOROL network (excluding the ELL of course as that has its own depot at New Cross).

Has been one of those weeks for them though with a lot of problems, usually they are one of the most reliable TOCs. Merseyrail had a bad week a few weeks ago too - it happens occasionally.

Skoodle

When the temperature increases from 12c to 25c in a couple of days, that's a sudden increase.

Chris999999

When the temperature increases from 12c to 25c in a couple of days, that's a sudden increase.

Hmm.. 6.5 degrees increase in a day. Seems like a great excuse for the rail infrastructure to fail.

Still seems like incompetence to me.

tsr

Established Member
There's only one common variable with the problems over the last week, sudden higher temperatures and high winds over the last few days. Winds knocked a branch onto the OHLE and caught fire, suspending the NLL, I don't know the causes of the other power supply problems but I'd imagine it could be down to the same things.

LOROL, yes. LU, probably not. As I say, there have been several local outages on LU within the last few days (certainly a few within the last week). Added to the major signalling problems at Embankment and elsewhere, the recent exceptional overcrowding at Bank and the faulty trains in various places, this hasn't been a good week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The W&C line probably isn't expected to have power today.

I'm not actually talking about today (as would have been inferred by the way I wrote my previous posts, which were referring to the last few days)! I take your point though!

ert47

LOROL, yes. LU, probably not. As I say, there have been several local outages on LU within the last few days (certainly a few within the last week). Added to the major signalling problems at Embankment and elsewhere, the recent exceptional overcrowding at Bank and the faulty trains in various places, this hasn't been a good week.

I think there were some power problems on the Tram network as well (unless the message was about power problems on the District (were there any?)

tsr

Established Member
I think there were some power problems on the Tram network as well (unless the message was about power problems on the District (were there any?)

There were also problems on Tramlink. I may be wrong, but I think something fell on the OHLE (which is normally quite reliable in and of itself :) ).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hmm.. 6.5 degrees increase in a day. Seems like a great excuse for the rail infrastructure to fail.

Still seems like incompetence to me.

Would you consider yourself competent at maintaining infrastructure?

I'm sure these people would love to hear from you: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/m/jobsearch/

DavyCrocket

Hard to believe that the embankment signal failure was a single signal track circuit. LU's response was the biggest factor in the disruption.
The most recent jubilee power problems have been caused by an earth.

Chris999999

A temperature change of 6.5 degrees is not very large. If the rail infrastructure is likely to fail because of such a change then the design/implementation/maintenance (I don't know which) is very poor. If network rail don't know what to do to cope with such small changes then they need to take advice from other European rail operators, who cope with far greater changes in temperature because of their continental climate, than we get with our maritime climate.

Established Member
This is the sixth consecutive day of problems on the NLL section of LOROL that i know of.

Signal failures, Points failures, Train Failures, Overhead Line problems, One Fire and one train derailment has meant that there has been a part suspension and severe delays, every day since Wednesday.

The Euston Watford DC service is down due to the radio systems being down, and not wanting to put Guards on them and run conventionally ( so in theory admit DOO is unworkable) it is decided to withdaw half the service and double man the rest with two drivers!

causton

Established Member
This is the sixth consecutive day of problems on the NLL section of LOROL that i know of.

Signal failures, Points failures, Train Failures, Overhead Line problems, One Fire and one train derailment has meant that there has been a part suspension and severe delays, every day since Wednesday.

The Euston Watford DC service is down due to the radio systems being down, and not wanting to put Guards on them and run conventionally ( so in theory admit DOO is unworkable) it is decided to withdaw half the service and double man the rest with two drivers!

Couldn't they work it so that they just worked Watford - Harrow and Wealdstone (with a reversal at Kenton?) and Euston - Queens Park to connect with Bakerloo line services to better utilise the resources?

VP185

Air temperature may have risen by a few degree but its more to do with the actual rail temperatures which in certain locations have been in the 40's

cle

Established Member
Unlike across France, Spain, Italy etc... during summer, not to mention India, Australia and many more... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.