• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground TT May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

evergreenadam

London Overground will now operate 8 trains per hour peak and offpeak from Stratford to Willesden Junction, with four trains continuing to Clapham Junction and four trains continuing to Richmond.

The alternating every 10/20mins off-peak service on the Richmond branch will become every 13/17mins, so still not evenly spaced, but better. The strange new thing is the three South Acton terminators in the afternoon giving gaps of 25mins in the service through to Richmond. The lack of a clockface timetable is also disappointing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Triumph

This is because they don't fit into the new District Line TT which runs every 5-9 mins at those times. The 3 trains that terminate at South Acton would be 2 mins behind a District and 3 mins in front of the next one, which is too close. Also disappointing that the new District WTT isn't clockface at 10 mins anymore.

evergreenadam

This is because they don't fit into the new District Line TT which runs every 5-9 mins at those times. The 3 trains that terminate at South Acton would be 2 mins behind a District and 3 mins in front of the next one, which is too close. Also disappointing that the new District WTT isn't clockface at 10 mins anymore.

Interesting. Why have TfL abandoned the clockface offpeak departure pattern on the District Line Richmond branch?

Triumph

This is what it says in the new District WTT.
All week
Due to the introduction of a new London Overground timetable with improved services on the North and West London Lines
between Stratford and Richmond/Clapham Junction, timings of District Line trains operating to/from Richmond have been
revised.
6 trains p.h & 4 trains p.h doesn't fit evenly.

Last edited by a moderator:

cle

Established Member
So the District line has gone up in frequency? Much needed on that branch.

Good news for the NLL core, and the WLL too.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Looking at realtime, it's impressive they've managed it with all the freight. I can't see it being very reliable though.

plcd1

They may have increased the frequency but the peak headways on the NLL are appalling. Long gaps then trains literally on top of each other 3-5 mins apart. There is also a particularly daft 15 min gap at 1736 to 1751 at Highbury heading east. I cannot understand why TfL / Arriva would schedule a 15 min gap close to the height of the PM peak on the eastbound NLL service. That train will have so many extended dwell times it can't possibly run on time. The crowding at Highbury will be ludicrous at the time of day. I can see people having to be held back in the ticket hall at Highbury as the platform will be unable to cope with people alighting from that train and those trying to board it.

I am not a betting man but I can't see that 15 min gap lasting very long. TfL / Arriva will have to adjust the timetable to remove it somehow.

tbtc

Veteran Member
They may have increased the frequency but the peak headways on the NLL are appalling. Long gaps then trains literally on top of each other 3-5 mins apart. There is also a particularly daft 15 min gap at 1736 to 1751 at Highbury heading east. I cannot understand why TfL / Arriva would schedule a 15 min gap close to the height of the PM peak on the eastbound NLL service. That train will have so many extended dwell times it can't possibly run on time. The crowding at Highbury will be ludicrous at the time of day. I can see people having to be held back in the ticket hall at Highbury as the platform will be unable to cope with people alighting from that train and those trying to board it.

I am not a betting man but I can't see that 15 min gap lasting very long. TfL / Arriva will have to adjust the timetable to remove it somehow.

Is this because this freight service cuts across the path in between the 17:38 and the 17:51 (ex Highbury) at Wilsden - Camden Road?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H42827/2018/05/29/advanced << Burngullow to Bow East

(in which case there's certainly an argument about whether a freight service through Zone 2 at rush hour is the best use of a path, especially given that it's sat at Acton for a couple of hours - it sets off from Cornwall at six in the morning and doesn't get to Bow until six at night)

jfisher21

Yes, does it need to stop at Acton for nearly two hours? It would be better to either go straight through or stop there for 4 hours

plcd1

Is this because this freight service cuts across the path in between the 17:38 and the 17:51 (ex Highbury) at Wilsden - Camden Road?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H42827/2018/05/29/advanced << Burngullow to Bow East

(in which case there's certainly an argument about whether a freight service through Zone 2 at rush hour is the best use of a path, especially given that it's sat at Acton for a couple of hours - it sets off from Cornwall at six in the morning and doesn't get to Bow until six at night)

I saw that freight path earlier on today when doing some more checking. I was somewhat surprised that such a path would exist as I understood that TfL had tried to get them removed at peak times. It does seem odd given the long wait at Acton.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I saw that freight path earlier on today when doing some more checking. I was somewhat surprised that such a path would exist as I understood that TfL had tried to get them removed at peak times. It does seem odd given the long wait at Acton.

If its got rights to be there, its got rights to be there. Probably hard for it to arrive Bow slightly earlier due to the clash it would have with evening peak ECS heading from Orient Way to Liverpool Street via the Temple Mills lines - hence the stand at Acton.

Class 170101

Established Member
If its got rights to be there, its got rights to be there. Probably hard for it to arrive Bow slightly earlier due to the clash it would have with evening peak ECS heading from Orient Way to Liverpool Street via the Temple Mills lines - hence the stand at Acton.

I just looked at it briefly and it wouldn't be a clash if it arrived at Bow around 16:15ish. I wonder if it could follow 2N87 around the NLL from Acton Wells Jn.

cle

Established Member
Freight shouldn’t be running on the NLL at that time - ideally not at all between 7 and 7 or later, it’s a metro now - but obviously there aren’t any real alternatives.

trek

I'm noticing some (possibly last minute?) additions too, there's a (Q) (Runs as Required) 2Y16 at 08:23 from Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction, which ran Monday & Tuesday this week, but didn't run last week as far as I can tell. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L41225/2018/06/05/advanced

Hoping that is now permanent, as I may decide to commute that way from next month, and I don't like the look of the 24 minute (!) gap between 8:15 and 8:45 towards Clapham if I miss a train or there's disruption...

Edit: Looks like the train should make a number of trips in the AM peak until heading to Wembley to stable from Clapham at 09:49, still would be interesting to see why it's not advertised, and whether this is going to be a train one can rely to run?

Last edited:

Established Member
Nothing last minute about it but chalked up as using the standby/maintenance unit if its available. Not advertised presumably as this means the unit is above those contracted to be available for service.

radamfi

Established Member
I'm noticing some (possibly last minute?) additions too, there's a (Q) (Runs as Required) 2Y16 at 08:23 from Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction, which ran Monday & Tuesday this week, but didn't run last week as far as I can tell. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L41225/2018/06/05/advanced

Hoping that is now permanent, as I may decide to commute that way from next month, and I don't like the look of the 24 minute (!) gap between 8:15 and 8:45 towards Clapham if I miss a train or there's disruption...

Edit: Looks like the train should make a number of trips in the AM peak until heading to Wembley to stable from Clapham at 09:49, still would be interesting to see why it's not advertised, and whether this is going to be a train one can rely to run?

When it runs, is it advertised at the platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.