• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Oyster 60+ and Senior Railcard combined

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoorweg

I have both the Oyster 60+ and Senior Railcard and travelled from London Waterloo to Poole. I purchased a ticket from London to Poole yet another 60 something passenger who also started her journey in London showed a ticket from Surbiton as that is the last station for which Oyster60+ provides free travel. The train did not stop at Surbiton. I asked the inspection why I was told to buy my ticket from London but someone else had a ticket from Surbiton (but boarded in London). He said it is a grey area and as he isnt sure he accepted her tickets.

I have tried asking South West trains and Railcard and no one can answer the simple question is whether the train has to physically stop at the last station where Oyster60+ is valid and from where fare for rest of journey commences.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

No, 60+ Oyster and Freedom passes are considered the same as a Travelcard season, so a condition 19(c) split is possible allowing non-stop trains to be used when the other ticket is not a season.

Outside London it's the other way around as concessionary passes are considered PTE tickets so are excluded from 19(c).

causton

Established Member
On the Knowledgebase I believe both are listed are acceptable but I will have to double check. We sell tickets from Boundary Zone 6 for extensions for people using Freedom Passes but I believe the named stations are also acceptable in this one case (edit: As shown below by OwlMan, I was right in saying it is on there, but only if the Boundary Zone 6 fare is not available).

Edit: So, just to make it clear to the OP, ask for a ticket from the Boundary of Zone 6 as it is usually the same price as Surbiton or close to it, and will let you take a train that does not stop :)

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
No, 60+ Oyster and Freedom passes are considered the same as a Travelcard season, so a condition 19(c) split is possible allowing non-stop trains to be used when the other ticket is not a season.

Outside London it's the other way around as concessionary passes are considered PTE tickets so are excluded from 19(c).

The above is correct with one proviso - the pass is only valid on the folowing

• Abellio Greater Anglia
  • c2c
  • Chiltern Railways
  • Great Western Railway
  • Great Northern
  • Heathrow Connect (between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington only)
  • London Midland
  • London Overground
  • Southeastern (but not on High Speed services)
  • Southern (but not on Gatwick Express services between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport)
  • South West Trains
  • TfL Rail
  • Thameslink
and is not valid on

Virgin Trains East Coast
East Midlands Trains
Grand Central
Heathrow Express
Hull Trains
Virgin Trains.

Below are the full details

iKB

Free travel is permitted on:

• Participating Train Operating Company services between all National Rail stations within London Fare Zones 1–6, and additionally:

• to Dartford
  • between Rickmansworth and Amersham inclusive
  • between Carpenders Park and Watford Junction inclusive on London Overground services only.

• All London Underground, Docklands Light Railway and London Tramlink services.
  • Most bus services in the Greater London area.

2. Extension Tickets for journeys starting from stations within the Concessionary Travel area:

The 60+ London photocard is considered to be an ‘off-peak’ season ticket for the purposes of National Rail Conditions of Carriage clause 19 "Using a combination of tickets" and for through journeys made on participating operators to and from stations outside the Concessionary Travel area the train does not need to call at the boundary station.
The 60+ London photocard holder needs to buy the appropriate single or return ticket, which should be either:
a) a Travelcard Extension ticket to or from ‘Boundary Zone 6’,( see Note 1), or
b) a point to point ticket to or from the outermost station in Zone 6 to destinations where a Travelcard Extension ticket is either not available, (see Note 1), or
c) a point-to-point ticket to or from Amersham, Dartford, Swanley.
d) a point-to-point ticket to or from Watford Junction (see Note 2)
Note 1: A 60+ photocard used in combination with either a Travelcard Extension ticket or a ‘point-to-point’ ticket is only valid for a throughout journey when travel is on the services of a participating Train Company in the 60+ photocard scheme.
Note 2: Extension tickets to/from Watford Junction are only applicable if travel to/from Watford Junction is on London Overground services. 60+ photocard holders travelling on through services operated by London Midland or Southern need to buy the appropriate Extension Ticket to or from Boundary Zone 6 or Hatch End. Virgin Trains are not a participating company in the Freedom Pass, so travel on through trains to/from London using 60+ photocard and Extension Ticket is not valid.

spoorweg

Thanks for the replies to which I will refer when booking tickets. My next trip is to Newquay on GWR so it looks like Hayes and Harlington is the boundary station. Can I therefore buy my ticket from H+H to Newquay and board at Paddington ? TBH I find it confusing as so many exceptions because of the different rail companies and sadly grey hair does not mean grey matter.

MarlowDonkey

so it looks like Hayes and Harlington is the boundary station.

West Drayton is the boundary. From stations the country side of West Drayton, splitting at West Drayton onto Oyster would seem to be a money saver.for journeys to Zone 2, the disadvantage being the likely impossibility of being able to reach an Oyster reader and return to the same train.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have both the Oyster 60+ and Senior Railcard and travelled from London Waterloo to Poole. I purchased a ticket from London to Poole yet another 60 something passenger who also started her journey in London showed a ticket from Surbiton as that is the last station for which Oyster60+ provides free travel. The train did not stop at Surbiton. I asked the inspection why I was told to buy my ticket from London
who told you this? was it when you bought the ticket?

and yes you can buy from West Drayton to Newquay.

spoorweg

So I am now going to book from West Drayton to Newquay bur board and alight at Paddington using Oyster 60+ and Senior Railcard. Obviously train will not stop at West Drayton and I have no idea if it whizzes past it. Hope all above board and will be quoting clause 19.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So I am now going to book from West Drayton to Newquay bur board and alight at Paddington using Oyster 60+ and Senior Railcard. Obviously train will not stop at West Drayton and I have no idea if it whizzes past it. Hope all above board and will be quoting clause 19.

For example:
Off Peak Return Paddington-Newquay is £87.30 (with railcard).
Off Peak Return West Drayton-Newquay is £89.30 (Any Permitted, presumably allows travel via Paddington).
Off Peak Return West Drayton-Newquay £78.30 (Not via London).

Presumably you will be able to get the Not London ticket and save £9 or £11 depending on how you plan to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.