• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London/Paris to Madid return

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
Been looking at using my FIP card to go to Madrid but find the whole literature from ATOC goes straight over my head! I've got plenty of colleagues who make these European trips so not sure why I find it so confusing but anyway...:lol:

So, Eurostar London to Paris seems fairly straight forward- I have to use my FIP card because coupons aren't valid.

Do I ring up DB to book it or just nip into to St pancras?

Do I need to pay extra for a reservation?

I was planning to take the trenhotel from Paris to Madrid but it looks like it stopped running daily this week so ill have to take the TGV Paris to Figueras and then either stay overnight or travel on to Madrid on AVE the same day.

I know ATOC says you can't use coupons on Trenhotel but what about on the TGV/AVE services to Figueras/onto Madrid?

Again, do I need to book a reservation for these services and is that something DB can do for me?

How do the coupons even work - you turn up at a station, show a coupon and ask to book a reservation or do you have to plan the whole journey before you go then DB will book whatever you actually need to book before hand?

Finally, how long before the trip do I actually need to make the bookings/reservations?

Would really like to make this return journey by rail but can't help but think that air is just going to be easier! :cry:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi,

Your FIP card gives you discounted travel abroad.

International Coupons give you free travel. However, many countries charge a supplement and/or reservation fee for certain services - primarily high speed trains.

Many International trains - that is those from one country to another will not all International Coupons - these are called Global Fares.

So, :-

D/Bahn will give you a FIP fare from St Pancras to Paris.

Use your FIP card to give you a discounted ticket on a Paris to Figueres service - D/Bahn will sell you this ticket and make you a compulsory reservation.

Then, Spanish High Speed trains don't allow coupons - so another FIP fare (also from D/Bahn) from Figueres to Madrid.

Alternatively, catch a TGV from Paris to Perpignan - the last station in France. On this you can use your International Coupon. Order it from ATOC about 4-6 weeks before you go. Just put the date on the coupon than you want to travel. You then get unlimited travel in the country that the coupon is valid in for that day and the following day. As all TGV journeys require a compulsory reservation, D/Bahn will sell you one of these - typically £1.50 - £5.00 per person per train.

Use your FIP card for another ticket from Perpignan to Spain (Figueres / Girona / Barcelona) - once again through D/Bahn and then your FIP fare from there to Madrid. The last time I did this it cost about £10.

You could also get an International Coupon for RENFE - the Spanish Railway company. However the services that you can get completely free of charge with the coupon are slow and few and far between.

Hope this helps

Eurostar opens for bookings 4 months in advance. France - 3 months and Spain 60 days. Flying is easier and quicker but not so much of an adventure.

I'd suggest contacting D/Bahn and booking everything in Advance - but may be not all at the same time due to the booking horizons. You can, in theory, show your International Coupon at the station on the day and ask for a reservation - but the train may be full.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
I'd suggest contacting D/Bahn and booking everything in Advance - but may be not all at the same time due to the booking horizons. You can, in theory, show your International Coupon at the station on the day and ask for a reservation - but the train may be full.
A massive, massive help. Thank you!

I would much rather travel by train and enjoy the adventure but I'm not sure that my FIP card will arrive in time for the trip. Fingers crossed!

Due to massive flexibility in the journey times and being able to stay places on route if need be along with it not really being during any type of holiday season, I'm hoping that if I do end up having to leave it late that I will be able to find space on a train somewhere - though am I right in thinking that Eurostar (maybe others as well) have a limit on how many FIP fares hey will sell for each train?

Anyway now I have a rough idea how the system works then if I end up having to fly for this event I've toyed with a trip to Bruges around crimbo.

Thanks you for taking the time to reply 158801, appreciated! :)

the sniper

Established Member
Spain are the worst in Europe for being stingy to FIP users. They should be thrown out of the FIP group, as their staff presumably get to benefit from the real generosity of the likes of the Swiss, Germans, French, ect, yet they don't play the game for anyone who wishes to go to their country!

Something I've wondered for a while, does anyone know of any restrictions placed on the FIP Coupon for foreign rail staff coming to the UK? Presumably they're pretty much unrestricted? Has anyone here actually come across a foreign railwaymen using their British FIP coupon?

FIP Cards are generally valid for up to 2 years.

So you should apply for your FIP card asap. When you apply for Intl Coupons you need to let ATOC know the dates that you are travelling.

If you tell ATOC you are travelling 1st December they will send your coupons out a week beforehand - they then expire three months later. Each coupon has four "boxes" that must have a date entered before use. The coupon is then valid on that day and the following day.

You have three months to use all four boxes. So you could enter 01 Dec / 03 Dec / 05 Dec / 07 Dec or 01 Dec / 01 Jan / 09 Jan / 27 Feb

I have had people with Intl coupons on my train. No restrictions. Recently had Northern Ireland Railways and Poilish Railways.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Spain are the worst in Europe for being stingy to FIP users. They should be thrown out of the FIP group, as their staff presumably get to benefit from the real generosity of the likes of the Swiss, Germans, French, ect, yet they don't play the game for anyone who wishes to go to their country!

Something I've wondered for a while, does anyone know of any restrictions placed on the FIP Coupon for foreign rail staff coming to the UK? Presumably they're pretty much unrestricted? Has anyone here actually come across a foreign railwaymen using their British FIP coupon?

Tend to agree, although the 'tallies can be just as bad. Don't get me started on the Greeks! <( (Only place I've been put of a train with my properly filled in coupon!! [Short version. Sleeper from Constantinople over 3hrs late so missed booked connection at Salonica. Therefore no resv. for next train. Sat in bar coach & was buying food & drink as no seats elsewhere - no other pax in bar. Threatened with polis if did not leave train at Larissa. Hotel in Athens was a hovel too]).

See lots of FIP coupons on my trains. In the main Germans, Belgians, Dutch, Irish, & French. Also on occassions Czechs who seem to have a fascination with big bridges e.g. the Forth & Tay.

Apart from the Greeks (& a small incident in Hungary) always had great service from the on train staff. Have received a few unprompted upgrades, a cab ride on an ICE at 300km/hr, & a German guard even bought me a beer, I was asked to help in a revenue exercise on a Dutch train, & to make announcements in English a few times too.

For the OP I have found DB (UK) very good for making my bookings in advance but that said in the main have also found no real problems obtaining tickets/reservations at local offices too.

As has been said above apply for your FIP card now as it is valid for two years (although most of this year is up) and is great for last minute trips. I am known as "the man in seat 61 1/2" at work and usually work out my colleagues international bookings for them ~ if you are struggling with any aspect of FIP travel then just PM me for advice.

NB the direct Franco-Spanish Tren Hotels may (or may not) disappear once the direct through daytime services start therefore I would travel on them sooner rather than later ~ I can recommend them as had great night in the bar & restaurant car. I cut a dash in my full Highland Dress.

W230

Established Member
Thanks for the continued advice gents. You'd also answered a question I forgot to ask on how often we see other countered using their coupons in GB.

reb0118 said:
As has been said above apply for your FIP card now as it is valid for two years (although most of this year is up) and is great for last minute trips. I am known as "the man in seat 61 1/2" at work and usually work out my colleagues international bookings for them ~ if you are struggling with any aspect of FIP travel then just PM me for advice.
I'm not sure whether my FIP card/coupons will arrive in time for the trip (I have only 4 weeks) but if they do, I may well be sending you a PM you for advice, thank you & thanks to all posters. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.