• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Rail advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowson14

Hi guys, sorry to seem like a right amateur but I'm using the London trains for the first time EVER, on Monday. I have work experience in London and I am staying at my uncles for the week.

I have to get from Three Bridges to Chalk Farm (Underground) and have no clue. I could ask my uncle but trying to be independent about it first. I've looked at a weekly travel card etc? I'm just trying to find out what I'm doing and how the cheapest to do it is, I need to travel Monday - Thursday and will need a return.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I assume you are 14?

What sort of times are you going to be travelling? How would you be getting to/from your uncles before/after the work experience?

Dowson14

No I'm 20 and a student. Just a Welsh country boy with no experience of this. I'm driving to my Uncles in Maidenbower, then in the morning he lives right by Chalk Farm station so I walk there, and get a return back to Three Bridges, I was hoping?

And need to be at Chalk Farm station for around 8:30 and leave around 5:30

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think the £81.80 Thameslink Only Travelcard weekly is a good choice. This allows you seven days' unlimited travel within Zones 1-6, and unlimited travel between the boundary of Zone 6 and Three Bridges, the latter on Thameslink-branded services only, which run four times an hour between Three Bridges and East Croydon (and onwards to either London Bridge or St Pancras/Bedford) for the vast majority of the day.

You may be able to argue that the ticket is valid on Southern-branded services (outside Zones 1-6) on a technicality, but I really wouldn't bother if I were you, as an inexperienced traveller, and time spent potentially arguing with the guard can be better spent on other more important/interesting things. Thameslink-branded services offer a decent frequency in any case.

It may be cheaper to split at East Croydon and/or Gatwick Airport, but it will depend on the time you need to be at Three Bridges. Do you have a contactless credit/debit card?

James Wake

Is Kentish Town walkable for you, if it is just get a Thameslink train from Three Bridges to St Pancras then another to Kentish Town.

Dowson14

I've had a look at th Thameslink only and I kind of understand what your saying.

Would i use that to go from Three Bridges to Victoria? And the Victoria underground line to Chalk Farm? Would the ticket cover all of that?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've had a look at th Thameslink only and I kind of understand what your saying.

Would i use that to go from Three Bridges to Victoria? And the Victoria underground line to Chalk Farm? Would the ticket cover all of that?

Not without further changes.

Thameslink services don't go to Victoria and The Victoria line doesn't go to Chalk Farm. Simplest options are Thameslink to either London Bridge or Elephant & Castle then Northern Line to Chalk Farm, possibly changing at Camden Town.

Dowson14

Thanks Mike, as James said would Three Bridges to St Pancras then St Pancras underground to Chalk Farm work?

Veteran Member
Thanks Mike, as James said would Three Bridges to St Pancras then St Pancras underground to Chalk Farm work?

Yes, but at the moment the through trains from Three Bridges to St Pancras take aslow route through South London, and going via London Bridge is probably quicker.

MichaelAMW

Yes, but at the moment the through trains from Three Bridges to St Pancras take aslow route through South London, and going via London Bridge is probably quicker.

Agree, but you would join the Northern line after it had emptied out a bit, or even a lot, in the city. London Bridge to Swiss Cottage on the Jubilee might also be an option.

plcd1

I can't comment on any of the ticketing issues. One thing I would recommend if you have the time prior to Monday is to familiarise yourself with the tube at Chalk Farm / Kentish Town and take a ride on it to Kings Cross St Pancras and / or London Bridge. I think it is important for you to get the hang of the signage and what the stations look like. You should make sure you actually leave the Underground station and work out, using the signs, how to get to the adjacent National Rail station and where the trains go from. Even at weekends the tube will likely be very busy but remember to check for any engineering works - there is info on the TfL website (www.tfl.gov.uk) and posters in tube station ticket halls.

During the week you will be travelling in crowded conditions possibly unlike anything you've ever experienced and run the risk of being swept along and getting lost and then being late unless you allow a lot of time. I'm not trying to frighten you (!) but some up front orientation / route finding will be a real help. The last thing you want during work experience is being late and having to come up with a "lame" excuse.

I can still remember how "small" I felt when first using the tube and the bizarre experience that was my first "London commuter train" ride.

Good luck!

Antman

Established Member

That's the way I would go.

Another small tip, I'd avoid changing at Camden Town if possible if you're unfamiliar with the tube, it can also be very crowded there. You should normally be able to get a tube direct from Chalk Farm to St Pancras and vice versa, you need a tube via Bank from Chalk Farm to St Pancras and a train to Edgware (not a High Barnet train) to get back to Chalk Farm.

It's a fairly straightforward journey so don't be too concerned.

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
Like others have said, just watch out for the 2 bits of the Northern line. Make sure you're getting on the right part of it to the right destination. Kentish town and Chalk Farm are on the opposite bits of the northern line.

My Favourite would be a train from/to Kentish town. It's a 20 minute walk to Chalk Farm and whilst still busy it has to be better than the Northern line.

Either way, as a "Welsh Country boy" as per your own admission, these will be some of the busiest vehicles you've ever traveled on and has the potential to be a little unpleasant.

On some days have you considered breaking your return journey up and spending a couple of hours in the evening wandering around central London before getting a later train / tube back to where you're staying maybe after 7pm? Does your Uncle work in central London? Maybe meet up with him and find something to do will give you both a rest from the commuter trains.

Rob

silvercar

Is Kentish Town walkable for you, if it is just get a Thameslink train from Three Bridges to St Pancras then another to Kentish Town.

I agree with this. Less than a mile from Kentish Town to Chalk Farm and avoids the hassle and time of changing trains.

Also recommend an App called citymapper which will direct you anywhere in London on public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.