• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Return Tickets - Child £6.60

Status
Not open for further replies.

furryfeet

i agree that the routing guide be scrapped.

why not replace the wording "any permitted route" on a ticket with "any reasonable route" which it what it was under BR

the routing guide smacks of being yet another way in which ATOC and hence the TOC's can manipulate ticketing for their own benefit, rather than the passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
why not replace the wording "any permitted route" on a ticket with "any reasonable route" which it what it was under BR

I believe the 'any reasonable route' rule was scrapped in a recent revision to the routeing guide. I'm guessing it's because the term 'reasonable' is so debateable.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You will no longer be charged a penalty fare if your ticket is not valid due to being off route ......
Could you give an example of this, where someone is not valid but is not counted as being 'over distance' and is, instead, excessed for being 'off route'?

Tom C

Could you give an example of this, where someone is not valid but is not counted as being 'over distance' and is, instead, excessed for being 'off route'?

An easy example would be any route with NOT in it.

Say Brighton to Streatham Common via NOT LONDON and you end up at London Bridge then you would be issued with an excess fare. Haydons Road to Norbury via NOT CLAPHAM JUNCTION and you go via Clapham Junction then again it would be an excess fare. The reason you would not be issued a PF for either of those is that the Any Permitted ticket would allow you to go via London or Clapham Junction and therefore there is an excess fare which would allow you to do either of the above.

Other ones include TOC specific tickets i.e Southern Only or FCC Only.

What you cannot do is buy a ticket from Brighton to Streatham Common via Not London and end up in East Grinstead for example and claim to be off route as the last place that ticket would still be valid is East Croydon.

Last edited:

1D53

Established Member
I suppose this is the same thing as having a Wakefield to York ticket and turning up in Knottingley and getting the bus to Church Fenton, which I've seen done. They were charged a new ticket from Wakefield to Knottingley for their 'mistake'
Posted via Mobile Device

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TOC specific is an interesting one - because you can't (officially) excess them, although the system won't stop you (apparently - is that right?). So what do you do? Charge them a new ticket? Say someone is travelling off-peak with a railcard discounted FCC only CDR and is using SN, do you charge them a railcard discounted CDR valid on SN? or are they further punished by being charged a full fare SDS?

And what if someone is using a route that is not valid on an Any Permitted but seems not totally unreasonable? e.g. someone trying do to go Leicester via Nuneaton or Peterborough. (I've heard of this being done in times of disruption).

Tom C

Say someone is travelling off-peak with a railcard discounted FCC only CDR and is using SN, do you charge them a railcard discounted CDR valid on SN? or are they further punished by being charged a full fare SDS?

I can't really say what Southern would do but I can do it the other way around.

If someone buys a Pricebuster ticket with route Southern Only and travels on FCC then you have to look at the reasons for issuing a PF.

1) No ticket - N/A
2) Adult on Child - N/A
3) No Supporting Document - Well if they didn't have a railcard to support the ticket then it would be a penalty fare but seeing as noone on this forum would get out of bed without their Y-P then N/A
4) Out of Date - N/A
5) STD to 1ST - N/A
6) Off Route - Could use it as it is in the Route section on the ticket but I would be more inclined to use...
7) Restricted Ticket - The ticket is restricted to a specific operator therefore I cannot issue a PF so I would excess the ticket from A to B via route Any Permitted or in the case of the Brighton Mainline, NOT Gatwick Express.

And what if someone is using a route that is not valid on an Any Permitted but seems not totally unreasonable? e.g. someone trying do to go Leicester via Nuneaton or Peterborough. (I've heard of this being done in times of disruption).

If this was being used in times of disruption then usually operators get clearance to allow their tickets to be used via another operator and usually via any "reasonable" route. If this was a reasonable route and ticket acceptance was allowed for that operator then I don't see a problem. Would I tend to do during disruption is find out from the station I am travelling from what the easements are.

In times of normal running then it is down to the individual person checking your ticket, by rights its not valid and thus you shouldn't expect to be allowed to travel without paying an excess (don't think PF's are around this area are they?).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
TOC specific is an interesting one - because you can't (officially) excess them, although the system won't stop you (apparently - is that right?). So what do you do? Charge them a new ticket? Say someone is travelling off-peak with a railcard discounted FCC only CDR and is using SN, do you charge them a railcard discounted CDR valid on SN? or are they further punished by being charged a full fare SDS?

Officially, a TOC specific ticket can't be excessed for use on another TOC, so for example, an FCC only London-Gatwick ticket could not be excessed to travel on Gatwick Express services, but could be excessed to go to Brighton on FCC. Passengers in the situation where they need to use another TOC would be expected to purchase a new ticket and obtain a refund from the issuing office.

You would be expected to sort this BEFORE you board the train, on-train personnel should either issue a PF or offer a ticket based on the company policy, for most that would be a SOR/S or SDR/S with no discount.

Tom C

You would be expected to sort this BEFORE you board the train, on-train personnel should either issue a PF or offer a ticket based on the company policy

On what basis could you issue a Penalty Fare though?

As I explained the person has a ticket, its in date, its within the correct class, that are not trying to pay child fare and they can show their railcard.

The only other reason you could issue a Penalty Fare would be because the person is travelling beyond validity. If you buy a Brighton to London Bridge Pricebuster on Southern and take a FCC train then you are not travelling beyond the validity of the ticket, your ticket is not valid because it is restricted by operator and you cannot issue a penalty fare for it.

Bear in mind that Pricebuster tickets were usually issued to SPECIFIC London Terminals i.e London Victoria therefore you can excess the ticket to London TERMINALS which to me is the same as excessing it to Brighton as you now have the option of travelling to Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Blackfriars etc etc.

The official line is that you cannot excess a ticket marked by a specific operator HOWEVER nor can you issue a penalty fare unless the person has gone beyond the validity of the ticket i.e Croydon to Gatwick SN only and is now at Three Bridges, regardless of the operator the ticket is now not valid at all so it would be a PF. In most cases a new ticket should be issued without discount however I have never been told OFFICIALLY that I cannot excess a TOC Specific ticket therefore if the situation warrants it then that is what I will do.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
On what basis could you issue a Penalty Fare though?

Travelling without a valid ticket?

You cannot excess a TOC specific ticket for use on another operators services (see Retail Manuel 1 or ask your local station to do it).

In your case of using a price buster, you cannot excess because its a Southern only ticket and you are using FCC, irrespective of route.

The options are:

1 ) Issue a ticket, as if none where held, and advise customer to refund their ticket from the issuing office;

2 ) Penalty Fare.

FCC, to my knowledge, only issue tickets onboard if there were no facilities available at the passengers starting station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But you aren't trained in issuing PFs, right? (NT do not use them); Tom C is trained in issuing PFs.

Agreed that you can't "officially" excess TOC-specific tickets, but that doesn't mean it can't be - or isn't - done!

Chris B

Probably depends on the policy of the TOC concerned.

I've heard that FCC stiock to the letter of the laws concerning PFs.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
But you aren't trained in issuing PFs, right? (NT do not use them); Tom C is trained in issuing PFs.

I have not been trained by Northern, this is true, but just because my current employer doesn't use them does not mean I have not done it.

Agreed that you can't "officially" excess TOC-specific tickets, but that doesn't mean it can't be - or isn't - done!

Isn't done? I wouldn't know.

Can be done unofficially? In theory, yes, and maybe some do it, but I never have.

Tom C

I have not been trained by Northern, this is true, but just because my current employer doesn't use them does not mean I have not done it.

Well, if you were trained in issuing Penalty Fares you will know that all parts of the Penalty Fare must be filled in otherwise IPFAS are likely to uphold any appeal.

If that is the case then you will know that on a Penalty Fare there are a number of reasons, you must tick one of these otherwise the Penalty Fare is incomplete.

Therefore I will ask you again, on what basis can you issue a Penalty Fare............

The options you have are: No Ticket, Out of Date, Travelling beyond Validity, No Supporting Document, Adult on Child, Standard to First, Off Route and Restricted Ticket.

You will obviously know that the Penalty Fare regulations were changed and you cannot issue a penalty fare if a ticket isn't valid due to it the person being off route or the ticket is restricted by type.

So again, which of the above apply?

FCC, to my knowledge, only issue tickets onboard if there were no facilities available at the passengers starting station

"FCC" or rather an inspector on FCC can issue a ticket in any situation if the inspector feels it is warranted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(see Retail Manuel 1 or ask your local station to do it)

Without wishing to sound flippant but why would a member of on train staff be refering to the retail manual?

The only manual for on train staff is the ticket examiners handbook which is woefully out of date and hasn't been issued to our on train staff for a very long time!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
.....Without wishing to sound flippant but why would a member of on train staff be refering to the retail manual?

The only manual for on train staff is the ticket examiners handbook which is woefully out of date and hasn't been issued to our on train staff for a very
long time!

Hence the "ask at your local station" bit. Although you should raise this point with your manager and, if they fail to act, the Union, as they must provide you with the equipment and training to do your job properly, it is logical to assume that you cannot enforce rules that you can't back up when in the course of your duties.

I should perhaps marginally re-word a previous post as I failed to mention company policy. As I understand it, OFFICIALLY there is 2 options for TOC specific tickets:

1) Issue a new ticket according to your companies policy (for the purposes of clarity, this would include any conditions in the PF scheme (it must be company policy if they use it) and the Retail Manuel section on excess fares).

2) Issue a PF as NO TICKET. (the ticket they have is not valid and cannot be excessed)

By the book, you cannot use an excess fare because you cannot excess a TOC specific ticket to use on another TOC, unofficially maybe, but not by the book.

In relation to my previous post, all I meant by my comment to Yorkie was that just because my current employer doesn't use PFs doesn't necessarily follow that I know nothing about them, it was not meant to mean that I know everything or should be treated as though I do.

Rules may change, thats life, but instead of going whole hog into the "your current employer doesn't use them so you know nothing" approach without checking if the person to whom you speak actually knows about them, a simple "This person currently issues penalty fares for a TOC and knows about all the current rules, do you have experience in this field?" line of post would have been better, don't you think?

I feel that everytime me and yorkie have a disagreement about an issue it ends with an attack on myself, maybe light hearted, maybe not, with the potential for an all out war of words, as has happened before, I am getting fed up of it frankly. I enjoy a good discussion, particularly an informative one such as we were having.

I was unaware Tom C was a ticket examiner until now, and until otherwise stated, I will try and remember that for future posts.

I realise that sometimes I word things wrongly and accept that others may do, or that I mis-understand others posts and that others may mis-understand mine, but that it should keep happening between the same two people is beyond a coincidence.

I do not wish to see another thread about fares, routeings and such, turn nasty, for the benefit of the interested parties who wish to know more about the topic.

I will accept that Tom C is in a better position to state the current terms of Penalty fares than me, on the basis that he issues them, but equally I feel I am in a better position to state what constitutes a valid ticket and how they can be excessed, as I have access to the current RM.

Now back to the topic of the thread.........

Tom C

2) Issue a PF as NO TICKET. (the ticket they have is not valid and cannot be excessed)

By the book, you cannot use an excess fare because you cannot excess a TOC specific ticket to use on another TOC, unofficially maybe, but not by the book.

You cannot issue a PF for No Ticket as they hold a ticket. What you put in brackets is your reasoning for finding another option and if you go through the reasons you will not find one that you can issue a PF for.

The problem is should you issue that PF for No Ticket and the appeal goes to IPFAS they will see a copy of the ticket and instantly reimburse/cancel (depending on whether it is full paid or part paid) the Penalty Fare. You also have to be careful in asking for an excess which is partly why your second sentance is correct because by rights in this situation you SHOULD issue a brand new ticket. If someone refuses to pay the excess fare then the only option would be to compile a MG11 statement however should that get to court then it would fall down if the excess that was being charged is incorrect.

I have to say I have only ever had one situation like this before and it involved a Gatwick Express ticket which of course is not valid whatsoever on a Thameslink service and at that time a Restricted Ticket was part of the Penalty Fare system.

What noone has mentioned is WHY you cannot issue a TOC to TOC excess fare or a TOC only to AP or other routed ticket. Its all about where the assets go, if someone has paid £12 to travel on a Southern Only ticket then Southern recieve 100% of the ticket price. If they travel on FCC and you excess it up from a Southern ticket then all FCC recieve is the excess and its worse with Any Permitted as it would have to be distributed amongst the TOC's.

I have to say that when I have covered a booking office both as a clerk and as an inspector I used to upgrade TOC to TOC tickets as I was under the impression that is was a valid excess.

Although you should raise this point with your manager and, if they fail to act, the Union, as they must provide you with the equipment and training to do your job properly, it is logical to assume that you cannot enforce rules that you can't back up when in the course of your duties.

It is also logical to assume that in this day and age with a wide selection of TOC specific tickets, management should ensure that trainers and mentors are informing members of staff that they cannot issue excess fares on a TOC specific ticket.

Members of staff are put through a ticket training course, mine was at Reading a very, very, VERY long time ago and have never once had any refresher training, if my management team doesn't feel that it is warranted then obviously my knowledge is going to come from a time far, far away. I go to work to do my job, if my management team don't give me the tools to do my job and mistakes are made then the blame falls at their feet, not mine. As for telling management, well I can say with whole hearted assurance that the matter of training is bought up at least once a day.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What noone has mentioned is WHY you cannot issue a TOC to TOC excess fare or a TOC only to AP or other routed ticket. Its all about where the assets go, if someone has paid £12 to travel on a Southern Only ticket then Southern recieve 100% of the ticket price. If they travel on FCC and you excess it up from a Southern ticket then all FCC recieve is the excess and its worse with Any Permitted as it would have to be distributed amongst the TOC's.
If that is the reason, it makes no sense!

Chiltern get 100% of the revenue for a London to Birmingham Route West Ruislip ticket. Yet you can excess that to an Any permitted with no problems whatsoever!

Tom C

If that is the reason, it makes no sense!

Chiltern get 100% of the revenue for a London to Birmingham Route West Ruislip ticket. Yet you can excess that to an Any permitted with no problems whatsoever!

I should have said, that is what I am being told!!

I don't know why they can't do it but I am being told its to do with the distribution of assets and to be honest I can't find any other reason why it can't be done. Its certainly possible to do it through Advantix and all of the booking office machines that I have used so it must be red tape somewhere.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I should have said, that is what I am being told!!
It's alright, I realise it's the railway companies being thick, not you ;):grin:

Next time they tell you that just give them the High Wycombe example. They'll either shut up and admit defeat, or come out with some waffle!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You cannot issue a PF for No Ticket as they hold a ticket. What you put in brackets is your reasoning for finding another option and if you go through the reasons you will not find one that you can issue a PF for.

The problem is should you issue that PF for No Ticket and the appeal goes to IPFAS they will see a copy of the ticket and instantly reimburse/cancel (depending on whether it is full paid or part paid) the Penalty Fare. You also have to be careful in asking for an excess which is partly why your second sentance is correct because by rights in this situation you SHOULD issue a brand new ticket. If someone refuses to pay the excess fare then the only option would be to compile a MG11 statement however should that get to court then it would fall down if the excess that was being charged is incorrect.

But it makes no sense because if you issue a new ticket (which you have to do if you don't issue a PF), you are treating them as if no ticket were held (a reason for a PF). I don't quite get why it is one rule for one and not for the other. Nevermind, the day the railway makes sense, hell will freeze over.

I have to say that when I have covered a booking office both as a clerk and as an inspector I used to upgrade TOC to TOC tickets as I was under the impression that is was a valid excess....

....It is also logical to assume that in this day and age with a wide selection of TOC specific tickets, management should ensure that trainers and mentors are informing members of staff that they cannot issue excess fares on a TOC specific ticket.

Members of staff are put through a ticket training course, mine was at Reading a very, very, VERY long time ago and have never once had any refresher training, if my management team doesn't feel that it is warranted then obviously my knowledge is going to come from a time far, far away. I go to work to do my job, if my management team don't give me the tools to do my job and mistakes are made then the blame falls at their feet, not mine. As for telling management, well I can say with whole hearted assurance that the matter of training is bought up at least once a day.

Sounds about right!

And there-in lies the problem, no-one knows what is what and with all the manuels becoming non-paper form (e-mail, etc), it will only get worse.

Tom C's explaination of the splitting of monies from fares sounds about right, that'll be the top dogs setting up a simple (!), fair (or should that be fare) system!

Tom C

But it makes no sense because if you issue a new ticket (which you have to do if you don't issue a PF), you are treating them as if no ticket were held (a reason for a PF). I don't quite get why it is one rule for one and not for the other. Nevermind, the day the railway makes sense, hell will freeze over.

Back in the day when thing were a little more black and white it would have been a Penalty Fare. These days the rules have been changed to "protect" the travelling public when it comes to the bewildering range of tickets and routes on offer, basically saying the system is flawed and it is easy for Joe Public to buy the wrong ticket.

Down here it has to be said it is very rare to find a ticket not valid by route but it isn't to find tickets not valid by type and now there is little anyone can do unless someone refuses to pay.

Sounds about right!

And there-in lies the problem, no-one knows what is what and with all the manuels becoming non-paper form (e-mail, etc), it will only get worse.

Tom C's explaination of the splitting of monies from fares sounds about right, that'll be the top dogs setting up a simple (!), fair (or should that be fare) system!

Its worse when your only reference point is so out of date that what is now called the Freedom Pass is still refered to as a London Travel Permit (!!!!), the Network Card only has a restriction after 10 with no minimum fare, they still refer to a ticket called Network Stay Away and Oyster isn't even a concideration!

Status
Not open for further replies.