• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London St Pancras International [STP] to Leicester [LEI]

Status
Not open for further replies.

penaltyfines

Hi,

I'm travelling to Leicester tomorrow (08:30 departure, any evening train back) and looking at ticket options with a 16-25 Rail Card.

The first question is can you split tickets at a station that the train calls at to pick up only? The train stops at Bedford [BDM] and given there is no arrival time on National Rail and it's missing from STP-BDM searches, I presume it stops to pick up only.

Assuming it is valid, can anyone suggest a lower fare than this?

STP > BDM SDR £24.10
BDM > LEI SVR £18.50

Total: £42.60

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The ASLEF strike means the timetable for tomorrow has changed, so it runs as 0830 to Derby, first stop Bedford (uplift only). As far as I'm aware (but wait for confirmation) you cannot split tickets at restricted (i.e. uplift / set down only) stations unless you fancy a potential argument over the NRCoC in some cases.

(EMT's booked service is 0830 to Nottingham (not via Derby) calling openly at Luton Airport and Bedford, however this isn't running on the 15 and 17 May.)

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As usual the NRCoC is clear as mud on this topic:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
[...]
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another; or

In previous threads the majority opinion was that it should be allowed, going on any reasonable definition of "calling at", but expect to face problems from guards who argue that as the train doesn't set down at Bedford therefore the ticket isn't valid. Doubly so with the TOC concerned.

If you're feeling up for a fight though, I'm sure we'd all like to hear how you get on!

penaltyfines

Oh my lord - how does split ticketing work when you're on a different route/timetable due to strikes then?!

The only relevant rule I know if is from the NR CoC:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:

(...)

(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another (...)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Oh my lord - how does split ticketing work when you're on a different route/timetable due to strikes then?!

The usual rules apply (excepting emergency diversions and the like where there's no warning before travel that the route is changed).

Swings both ways - sometimes splits are no longer possible, sometimes cheaper tickets can be used, as with Via High Wycombe tickets on diverted VT services, or Via Honiton on FGW.

MKD

For future reference if travelling that route again it's one of www.megabus.com Bus & Train routes so can be done from £1+ each way with some pre-planning (Also Derby, my American aunt saved loads using megabus tix on her last UK visit.)
MKD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.