• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Stadium to Waterloo (after gig)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiledbeans2

Anyone have experience/advice of leaving London Stadium after a gig?

I have a gig ending 2200 this Sunday, and I need to get to Waterloo by ideally ~2320 for the 2330 train to Guildford.

On normal Sundays, there is a later post-midnight stopping service to Guildford but has disappeared because of Raynes Park engineering. So 2330 is the last train and I think the journey to Waterloo will be quite tight.

I think the bulk of the people will be heading to Stratford after the gig. So possibly I could walk in an opposite direction to Bow Road?

I think if I can get onboard a tube train by 2250, I should be fine.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There's often a form of crowd control post events and one-way systems at Stratford which is fairly slick, but if you're near the front of the queue and can get out of the stadium promptly, you'll be fine for a 2250 departure.

Incidentally, where were you thinking of changing after Bow Road?

boiledbeans2

Thanks for the details on Stratford. I have never been to London Stadium before so I'm unsure of the operations post-gig.

I still don't know if it's a good idea to do Stratford - Waterloo that night. There's another gig at O2 on the same night. So probably the trains from Stratford - North Greenwich may be slower because of the longer dwell time at North Greenwich?

At Bow Road, I was thinking of District to Embankment, then Bakerloo to Waterloo.

boiledbeans2

I think I'm more concerned about getting to Stratford station, rather than when I'm already near the station for the slick one-way system to take effect.

Because the London Stadium website says
Please be aware the walking journey to the main Stratford Regional Station can take up to 80 minutes post-event.

Wolfie

Established Member
Anyone have experience/advice of leaving London Stadium after a gig?

I have a gig ending 2200 this Sunday, and I need to get to Waterloo by ideally ~2320 for the 2330 train to Guildford.

On normal Sundays, there is a later post-midnight stopping service to Guildford but has disappeared because of Raynes Park engineering. So 2330 is the last train and I think the journey to Waterloo will be quite tight.

I think the bulk of the people will be heading to Stratford after the gig. So possibly I could walk in an opposite direction to Bow Road?

I think if I can get onboard a tube train by 2250, I should be fine.

Thanks in advance!
How about Stratford (or Hackney Wick) to Highbury & Islington on the Overground/North London line, Highbury to Waterloo, changing at Oxford Circus on the Victoria/Bakerloo lines?

Wolfie

Established Member
Thank you!
Welcome.

I received a PM asking how my suggestion helped issues. My response is:

There was concern expressed about another gig at the O2 causing issues on the Jubilee line too.
Hackney Wick station will be much less busy albeit that the trains, running out of Strafford as they do, may not unless you get there early.

boiledbeans2

Many thanks for all your replies! The more options the better. I think I will have to decide which route to take on the spot when I leave the stadium. First, I will need to get my bearings after leaving the stadium, and see where everyone is going. Then proceed in the opposite direction!

How about Stratford (or Hackney Wick) to Highbury & Islington on the Overground/North London line, Highbury to Waterloo, changing at Oxford Circus on the Victoria/Bakerloo lines?
This sounds like the best option so far.

So my options are:
1) Hackney Wick (2249 train) --> Highbury --> Victoria (2325 train) --> Clapham Junction (Google maps says I will arrive at Waterloo at 2330 exactly if I change at Oxford Circus, missing the Guildford train)

2) Bromley-by-Bow or Bow Road --> (Embankment --> Waterloo) OR (Victoria --> Clapham Junction)

3) Stratford --> Waterloo

If everything runs well, the Jubilee line should be the fastest, but it will be doing some heavy lifting that night! Clearing gigs at London Stadium, O2 Arena (as mentioned earlier), as well as Hyde Park!

Wolfie

Established Member
Many thanks for all your replies! The more options the better. I think I will have to decide which route to take on the spot when I leave the stadium. First, I will need to get my bearings after leaving the stadium, and see where everyone is going. Then proceed in the opposite direction!

This sounds like the best option so far.

So my options are:
1) Hackney Wick (2249 train) --> Highbury --> Victoria (2325 train) --> Clapham Junction (Google maps says I will arrive at Waterloo at 2330 exactly if I change at Oxford Circus, missing the Guildford train)

2) Bromley-by-Bow or Bow Road --> (Embankment --> Waterloo) OR (Victoria --> Clapham Junction)

3) Stratford --> Waterloo

If everything runs well, the Jubilee line should be the fastest, but it will be doing some heavy lifting that night! Clearing gigs at London Stadium, O2 Arena (as mentioned earlier), as well as Hyde Park!
Does your train leaving from Waterloo stop at Vauxhall? If so you could take the Victoria line to there and then board your train. Alternatively you could use an alternative SWR service to Clapham Junction.
Just a thought!

boiledbeans2

Does your train leaving from Waterloo stop at Vauxhall? If so you could take the Victoria line to there and then board your train. Alternatively you could use an alternative SWR service to Clapham Junction.
Just a thought!
I did think of that option as well.

But the problem is because of engineering works at Raynes Park, the service from Waterloo is very sparse. For example, in the period 2300 to 2330, there are only 4 trains departing Waterloo. My train is at 2330 (which doesn't stop at Vauxhall), and the preceding train (which does stop at Vauxhall) departs at 2314. (I'm also expecting my 2330 train to be very busy...)

So that's why the 2325 Victoria - Clapham Junction is one of my backup options in case I can't make it to Waterloo in time.

Wolfie

Established Member
I did think of that option as well.

But the problem is because of engineering works at Raynes Park, the service from Waterloo is very sparse. For example, in the period 2300 to 2330, there are only 4 trains departing Waterloo. My train is at 2330 (which doesn't stop at Vauxhall), and the preceding train (which does stop at Vauxhall) departs at 2314. (I'm also expecting my 2330 train to be very busy...)

So that's why the 2325 Victoria - Clapham Junction is one of my backup options in case I can't make it to Waterloo in time.
Makes sense.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I went to a concert there maybe three years ago. It was a bit of an indirect march to Stratford, but was rather quicker than I feared it might be, and I don't recall much waiting at the station to get in (admittedly I was traveling east on the Central Line). If that night was in any way representative, even with an event at the 02, I'd have thought you'd be at Waterloo via the Jubilee with time to spare, at least so long as you don't delay leaving the stadium.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Might it be worth driving (assuming you can drive & have a car available) to Woking, at least that gives you the backup of the 00:10 Southampton train (also from the looks of it a late night replacement bus to Woking)

One issue with going towards Hackney Wick is that the train might be too busy to board

Wolfie

Established Member
Might it be worth driving (assuming you can drive & have a car available) to Woking, at least that gives you the backup of the 00:10 Southampton train (also from the looks of it a late night replacement bus to Woking)

One issue with going towards Hackney Wick is that the train might be too busy to board
The time to walk from the London Stadium to Hackney Wick station is, give or take, the same as walking to Stratford station. If you head there promptly you should miss the worst of the rush from Stratford.

boiledbeans2

I went to a concert there maybe three years ago. It was a bit of an indirect march to Stratford, but was rather quicker than I feared it might be, and I don't recall much waiting at the station to get in (admittedly I was traveling east on the Central Line). If that night was in any way representative, even with an event at the 02, I'd have thought you'd be at Waterloo via the Jubilee with time to spare, at least so long as you don't delay leaving the stadium.
Thanks for sharing your experience regarding Stratford.

So right now, all 3 options including Stratford are still on the table. It will all depend on what I see after exiting the stadium. :lol:

boiledbeans2

Nope, I don't have a car.

Yeah, the 00:10 Southampton is the ultimate backup, followed by a 2.5h walk from Woking to Guildford along Woking Road. I should be able to see the sunrise during that walk. :lol:

There's also a rail replacement bus departing at 01:05 from Waterloo, arriving at Woking at 02:20, followed by a 2.5h walk. In that case, it might be better to sleep over at Waterloo and wait for the first train on Monday!

Pre-covid, there used to be a 00:50 express service to Portsmouth as well. What happened to that? I remember reading on this forum that it was an agreement with the navy or something? So the agreement has stopped?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's 5.6 miles from the London Stadium to Waterloo which would take just under 2 hours to walk. Walking all the way isn't an option but I'd head for Bow Road as it's in the right direction. If for any reason you can't board a train at Bow Road keep walking and you'll get on one at Mile End, Stepney Green or Whitechapel.

Wolfie

Established Member
It's 5.6 miles from the London Stadium to Waterloo which would take just under 2 hours to walk. Walking all the way isn't an option but I'd head for Bow Road as it's in the right direction. If for any reason you can't board a train at Bow Road keep walking and you'll get on one at Mile End, Stepney Green or Whitechapel.
In principle l agree that's not a bad plan but far from the greatest part of London to walk through quite late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.