• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London station signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamskiodp

Hi folks :lol:

When you wake up with a thought and think you know the answer but then your mind wanders . . . .

London terminal stations are signed as London Paddington, London Euston, London Waterloo etc.

London Waterloo East is not a terminal station but is still signed as London Waterloo East.

Although maybe a little odd, why isn’t London Bridge station named London London Bridge?

Just thinking out loud really :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That's just the sort of musing I ponder when I'm pottering around.
By the same token, maybe London Road (Brighton) should be renamed Not London and not Guildford either London Road Brighton. It's got a snappy ring to it and would give Llanfairpwllgwyngyll a run for its money.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I expect Waterloo East has the 'London' prefix only because of its neighbour - after all, they've also lettered the platforms there to avoid confusion! (I've occasionally wondered why Waterloo East is still a separate station to Waterloo; there are other stations where two different adjoining stations have become one single station.)

Incidentally, London Bridge is the only station on the London Underground that has 'London' in its name...

delt1c

Established Member
Could that be because people are traveling on The "London" Underground 8-)

Springs Branch

Established Member
....... Incidentally, London Bridge is the only station on the London Underground that has 'London' in its name...
Certainly true for stations managed and served by LU trains. But as a point of trivia, since the "orange" Overground lines became a feature of the Tube map, London Fields also appears on the map.
[EDIT] Plus London City Airport on the DLR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.