• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi all going on a spotting jolly next wknd to london 3rd-7th march just want to ask a few questions.

1. is highbury and islington safe to spot as you get both overhead and dc 378's done gospel oak last yr for the 172 units and found that pretty safe.

2. whats bethnal green like ? as its unmanned as liverpool street is a pain to get numbers there is not one place you can stand and get everything been to stratford yes you get docklands but NOT everything out of the street.

3. do they let you on platforms for south eastern high speed at STP ? as last time i went for a bit of no crunching there i had to buy a return to ebbsefleet.

replies please ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
3. If you go round the 'back way' into Stratford Intl (through Westfield, go down the alleyway opposite the food court, between Primark and HSBC I think it is) and cross the service road, there is a second entrance which is usually unmanned. If it isn't - NRCoC says staff should provide you with a way to get onto the platform without boarding a train and without buying a train ticket e.g. to photograph trains, to meet someone from a train etc. So ask for a platform ticket or to be let through, and if not email Southeastern and see what happens!

(knowing what Southeastern are like at another station in London though, I wouldn't count on them following the rules!)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
2. Bethnal Green is fine in daylight hours. If you stand on the London platform you can see all traffic for both WA and the GEML.

I will be on a travelcard zone 13 (i think) as got a mate who lives at bushey so stop at his then get either overground or LM in to euston so will have a ticket but i know they are not valid on high speed.
Also another question :oops: whats the next station out of victoria like for spotting as victoria is a pain for no's as well.

Sorry this thread makes me look like a beginner but been spotting since the 70's and london always confuses me:D

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Battersea Park? Bit spread out though, and after that the SE and SN lines diverge. After that either Wandsworth Rdf or Clapham High St for Se or Clapham Jn for SN.

yep didnt thing everything from victoria went through the jct but the only ones that dont are the 465/466's isn't it

causton

Established Member
I will be on a travelcard zone 13 (i think) as got a mate who lives at bushey so stop at his then get either overground or LM in to euston so will have a ticket but i know they are not valid on high speed.
Also another question :oops: whats the next station out of victoria like for spotting as victoria is a pain for no's as well.

Sorry this thread makes me look like a beginner but been spotting since the 70's and london always confuses me:D

Bushey is in Zone 8 - there's no Zone 13 and I think you would need a Zone 1-9 ticket or an Oyster Card. Most travelcards are Zone 1-6 but a Zone 1-9 is just a little bit more. However, as you say you're with a mate who I presume will know all this and know just the ticket to get you ;)

oyster confuses me yes you're right its zone 9+ i think as went down last yr ,cant see how a oyster card can be cheaper than a O/P travelcard at £13 (thats where i get the 13 from)

causton

Established Member
oyster confuses me yes you're right its zone 9+ i think as went down last yr ,cant see how a oyster card can be cheaper than a O/P travelcard at £13 (thats where i get the 13 from)

It works out how much travel you have actually used instead of assuming you'll use more!

Say you go from Zone 9 to Zone 1 - then around Zones 1-6 for the day. It will charge you the price of a Zone 1-6 travelcard and then a single from Zone 9-6 or thereabouts - instead of a Zone 1-9. However, if you're doing spotting then Oyster has time limits and is a bit iffy if you need to spend a lot of time platformside in some places, so I'd recommend a paper travelcard :)

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Try Queenstown Road, you see everything on the Waterloo lines and if you have half decent binoculars you'll see all the Victoria traffic too.

The Colonel

or an Oyster Card.

If you are spending time on stations you do NOT want an Oyster card - you'll fall foul of the maximum permitted journey times and incur maximum fares - get a paper Travelcard. Oysters are fine for A to B "normal" journies but not for cranking around town.

Lampshade

Established Member
If you are spending time on stations you do NOT want an Oyster card - you'll fall foul of the maximum permitted journey times and incur maximum fares - get a paper Travelcard. Oysters are fine for A to B "normal" journies but not for cranking around town.

Whenever I've been to stations like London Victoria I've asked the gateline staff first if I could touch out (and open the barrier), but not exit immediately and could he let me through in 20/30 minutes' time; never had any problems.

Urban Gateline

Established Member

To be pedantic, I suppose it depends which stations. If it's an unbarriered one and he has Oyster, then it's easy to simply touch out on the platform validator to finish the journey, yet not leave the station! Genius? :p

I agree in principle though that a paper travelcard is more useful if spending long periods of time in a station!

causton

Established Member

Yes, exactly as I said :) I assume his friend will be advising him on what paper ticket to buy :P

transmanche

Established Member
If it's an unbarriered one and he has Oyster, then it's easy to simply touch out on the platform validator to finish the journey, yet not leave the station! Genius?
Although that could potentially leave one liable to a penalty fare...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
3. Do they let you on the platforms for South Eastern High Speed at STP ? As the last time I went for a bit of no. crunching there I had to buy a return to Ebbsfleet.

Well, yes they do - I've never been refused there being let through the barriers to get a few pictures when not travelling.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
yep didnt thing everything from victoria went through the jct but the only ones that dont are the 465/466's isn't it

The 375s don't go through Clapham Jct either.

decided !!! getting a travelcard zone 9+ at £13 a day not going to break the bank as like i said oyster confuses me big style.
queenstown rd ? and bethnal green yes they are stations just out of the terminus but they are both in very dodgy areas of london bit put off as in the 80's got mugged walking to speke yard and also got mugged walking to eastfield which was very dodgy areas.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
queenstown rd ? and bethnal green yes they are stations just out of the terminus but they are both in very dodgy areas of london bit put off as in the 80's got mugged walking to speke yard and also got mugged walking to eastfield which was very dodgy areas.

I have spent time on both over recent years, Bethnal Green in particular (as well as many other unstaffed suburban stations). I felt in no way intimidated or threatened by anyone - if you mind your own business and stay away from people you will generally be OK. With mass CCTV and trains passing every few minutes, I doubt much will happen.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Queenstown Rd is quite nice, it's not ever that busy so people won't get in your way and it's unmanned so you won't get staff hassling you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.