• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London-Sussex routeings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey

I’ve been playing with the routeing guide and think I’ve got my answer, but would love if someone could corroborate my interpretation...

I think a Slough-Rye SVR is valid for a circular route, out via Ashford (HS1) and back via Lewes... is that right?

And if so, how does ‘break of journey’ work in practice, particularly with multiple stops? Let’s say I were going for a few days, could I do (for example) Rye, Hastings (break), Eastbourne (break), Brighton (break) and back from there? How is best to arrange this on the day, just ask a conductor/gate line staff at each station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
If I understand it correctly (and I may be wrong here!) then the ticket should work the barriers. If not, just ask staff and you should be let through. Though I don’t know if it would be valid via Brighton.
I would, and still do, regularly break tickets to Cambridge. I travel between London and Cambridge/St Neots so frequently I would often have unused portions. It depends where I can get picked up. So I would regularly come back from Croydon on a Cambridge ticket, switch to a St. Neots one at KGX (pre TL) and then use the Cambridge portion at another date. Never had a problem.

Veteran Member
If you can get NRE to show the fare via Lewes, yes it is fine.

If you used Hastings instead of Rye I'd be absolutely certain (Brighton included!).
BOJ (unless it is specifically forbidden, which is unlikely) is fine so long as you keep within the restrictions. You do not have to ask, but there's no harm in informing staff that you are breaking your journey, in particular overnight.
From reports over the years on here you may encounter staff who do not know the rules, and need to stand your ground.

Aljanah

Is this the £49.90 fare? Seems to check out. I can get itineraries for both Lewes and Ashford at that price. Long list of invalid times for Paddington/Slough though, so be careful.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
I’ve been playing with the routeing guide and think I’ve got my answer, but would love if someone could corroborate my interpretation...

I think a Slough-Rye SVR is valid for a circular route, out via Ashford (HS1) and back via Lewes... is that right?

And if so, how does ‘break of journey’ work in practice, particularly with multiple stops? Let’s say I were going for a few days, could I do (for example) Rye, Hastings (break), Eastbourne (break), Brighton (break) and back from there? How is best to arrange this on the day, just ask a conductor/gate line staff at each station?
Yes, the roueting if fine. It applies to all the Marshlink stations. Rye doesnt have barriers at the other stations you will usually have to seek assistance to get out but the barriers will let you back in. Conductors will be fine, living near Rye I do it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.