• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminal advice required

Status
Not open for further replies.

cls

Been away from the scene (is that the right phrase ?) for the last 20 years or so , mortgage , family etc.....
Been reading this forum for last few weeks trying to understand todays railway :(:(:( Give me British Rail and there boring standard Blue livery anyday :D late running dirty steam heat locos etc...:lol::lol:

Planning on having a day out probalby around London stations , are all the London stations open or ticket barriers , would a London underground day ticket get me past any barriers ? What ticket would allow me to use the tube and local commuter trains (if any?)

Any other ideas or advise appreciated

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

junglejames

Established Member
If you are just staying around the London zones then an all day travelcard zones 1-6 will do everything you are after.
Cover all of the underground, and mainline services out as far as zone 6. Get a zones map to see how far it actually takes you. A Network South East type network map also shows routes within the zones.
Unfortunately a lot of terminal stations are now barriered onto the platforms. Obviously a platform ticket would get you onto the platform, but to travel around as well, an all day travelcard is the answer.
You can also use an oyster card as well, instead of getting a paper travelcard, and it should cap at the travelcard rate. No matter how many journeys you do. But if you intend to hop on and off all around London, then a paper travelcard is easier, and there is no chance of an oyster card failing to cap.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...., are all the London stations open or ticket barriers...
Many stations are in London have barriers.

would a London underground day ticket get me past any barriers ?
There isn't such a ticket, it was abolished around the late 1980s :)

(That's a good thing, because a Travelcard is much better!)

What ticket would allow me to use the tube and local commuter trains (if any?)
You need a One Day Travelcard (ODT). Where are you travelling from?

An "in-boundary" ODT for Zones 1-6 costs £8, however if you are only going in central areas a cheaper Travelcard (perhaps just for Zones 1-2) may suffice. Alternatively an "out-boundary" ODT may be available from your origin - if your origin is one of the stations in the former NSE area plus various additional stations e.g. Grantham, Newark, Peterborough and on FGW even, perhaps bizarrely, as far as Penzance! If you can provide your origin we can assist you further :)

cls

I will be travelling from Nuneaton using London Midland , looking to cover most of the major stations and as far as Clapham Jct , will have around 6 hrs to play with while there.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

BlythPower

A word of caution, if you do get the combined rail ticket/Travelcard (not sure what the correct terminology is) from Nuneaton, you might want to give Marylebone a miss as there's every likelihood that the barrier staff will believe you've used the London Midland ticket to travel to London on a Chiltern train. Getting the Travelcard in London as a 'tube' style ticket will avoid this. I've also had London Midland travelcards cause confusion on the barriers at Waterloo...

taxidave

Getting the Travelcard in London as a 'tube' style ticket will avoid this.
You can of course purchase the travelcard at your local station prior to your journey into London which might save you some time if there is a queue at Euston.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A word of caution, if you do get the combined rail ticket/Travelcard (not sure what the correct terminology is) from Nuneaton, you might want to give Marylebone a miss as there's every likelihood that the barrier staff will believe you've used the London Midland ticket to travel to London on a Chiltern train. Getting the Travelcard in London as a 'tube' style ticket will avoid this. I've also had London Midland travelcards cause confusion on the barriers at Waterloo...

I have never had a problem. The ticket is valid so they must let you through usless they can prove you came all l the way form the midlands on Chiltern. They are a suspicious lot there mind!

Bungle73

On Moderation

That would a much more expensive way of doing it than buying a combined ticket. You shouldn't even have to interact with any barrier staff since you'll just be sticking the ticket in the automatic barrier. And even if you do they have absolutely no reason not to let you through.

Status
Not open for further replies.