• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals - Harlow - valid on Underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepy1209

Hi,
I recently needed to do a single journey from London Euston to Harlow Mill - National Rail advised the sensible route of Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale, and National Rail from there. I used a vending machine (London Midland) at Euston and it was pretty confusing to use but I managed to buy my ticket - Anytime Single, £13.40. This had an origin of 'London Terminals' and I didn't see any other options. I wanted a through ticket to avoid having to touch out at Tottenham Hale, not knowing at that point that the two stations are behind separate barriers anyway (I was there on business, not a regular visitor).

This ticket was rejected at the barrier to the Underground, and I was advised by the gateline assistant that I'd be best using contactless - I tried explaining but I think she thought I was trying to get to Victoria.

This means I paid £3.30 more than I was expecting, and while it's not a massive amount I'd like to understand whether my ticket was actually valid, or did I need to buy something else?

If it was valid I'll try for a refund from TfL, but I'm more interested in whether I've misunderstood something.

Ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Just had a look on one of the train booking sites, and the £13.40 ticket is valid via the Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale.

The fact that it was rejected by the gates at Euston tube station does not alter it's validity.

I would seek a refund from Tfl if you paid extra for a single from Euston to Tottenham Hale.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A "London Terminals" to Harlow ticket would not be valid to enter the underground at Euston.

London Terminals does not actually mean ANY London Terminal, but only those appropriate to your destination.

Now someone will no doubt add which are the appropriate origins for Harlow, but this problem has definitely come up before in the more general sense, for example people have bought tickets from "London Terminals" at Euston that were only valid from terminals in the south of London such as Waterloo or Victoria...

Brucey

A "London Terminals" to Harlow ticket would not be valid to enter the underground at Euston.

London Terminals does not actually mean ANY London Terminal, but only those appropriate to your destination.

Now someone will no doubt add which are the appropriate origins for Harlow, but this problem has definitely come up before in the more general sense, for example people have bought tickets from "London Terminals" at Euston that were only valid from terminals in the south of London such as Waterloo or Victoria...

According to National Rail Enquiries, the only valid London Terminal on this ticket would be Liverpool Street.

What the OP needed was actually a ticket from "ZONE U123* LONDN" to Harlow Mill. This would allow a single tube journey in zones 1-3 (i.e. Euston to Tottenham Hale). Note this ticket is also £13.40.

Last edited:

Sheepy1209

According to National Rail Enquiries, the only valid London Terminal on this ticket would be Liverpool Street.

What the OP needed was actually a ticket from "ZONE U123* LONDN" to Harlow Mill. This would allow a single tube journey in zones 1-3 (i.e. Euston to Tottenham Hale). Note this ticket is also £13.40.

Thanks - thought it had to be something like that. Unfortunately the National Rail app doesn't mention any of that (it quotes a price for 'London Euston', not 'London Terminals'), and the ticket machine I used was one of the worst examples of usability I've come across. I didn't think I'd asked for 'London Terminals', I thought I'd asked for 'Euston' - but who knows, the screen was a confusing mess)

Interesting that the single from Tottenham Hale is £10.10, meaning that the £3.30 from Euston makes it the same price on two separate tickets as NRE quoted for a through ticket (as you point out).

I don't think I'm the first to get caught out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.