• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals - I think this is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see London Terminals as come up before, so I believe I am OK with my proposed journey - best to check though!

My Annual Gold Card gets me from Kent into Charing Cross each day. I think I am also permitted to change at Waterloo East then travel from Waterloo to Vauxhall (as I have a one-off need to go there). A quick Google suggests this is OK but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer - other than to hope the barriers open!

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Vauxhall is classified as a London Terminal and you are not using LUL services or crossing Farringdon, so it is valid, but barrier staff may disagree.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket Calculator lists all valid London Terminals for any particular season ticket. Vauxhall is among those listed if Charing Cross is also valid, so as long as you don't try to use the Underground you will be fine. I remember this being valid 40+ years ago so I'd hope that all staff would be aware as well.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Farringdon is not a London Terminal, so if you go via Farringdon then you have left London Terminals and the ticket is no longer valid.*

*There is an easement for season tickets routed Plus High Speed that can be used via HS1, St Pancras and Farringdon though

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Forgive my ignorance, what is the significance of Farringdon?

There has always been a rule that London Terminals tickets are not valid for travelling through Farringdon, or for alighting/joining there. A U1 ticket would be required.

There has been an easement for High Speed tickets introduced in recent years, but that is very much the exception.

gray1404

Established Member
There has always been a rule that London Terminals tickets are not valid for travelling through Farringdon, or for alighting/joining there. A U1 ticket would be required.

There has been an easement for High Speed tickets introduced in recent years, but that is very much the exception.

I do not think this rule is published enough and the average traveler would have no idea.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I do not think this rule is published enough and the average traveler would have no idea.

Unless 100% sure, the average traveller is expected to seek advice from staff, I imagine.

That said, it could do with better visibility.

gray1404

Established Member
I think I shall do some mystery shopping on this one. Next time I need a Brighton to London Terminals ticket (I use this example because it is a route I travel on a lot and also one which has several direct services to many different stations in London), I shall get the ticket in advance from somewhere up North and ask if I am able to get the direct "Thameslink" service from Brighton to St Pancras with it and get off there? I bet I know what the answer will be :)

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
London Thameslink is a destination for 'Thameslink' origins north of Central London (except Kentish Town). For the south it is either London Terminals, London St Pancras or a Travelcard.

CheesyChips

Thank you and maniacmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.