• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billywizz

Hi all,
I will be travelling from Colchester to London Waterloo, in the summer 5 days a week for a new job I am starting. I have therefore done some research about finding the cheapest fare and i think the London Terminals Season Tickets is by far the cheapest option.

I just want to make sure my route would be valid which is as follows:

Colchester to London Liverpool Street (London Terminal).

London Liverpool Street - London Waterloo (London Terminal).

Would this journey be ok? The only thing im worried about is that from liverpool street to waterloo is on the underground? but both stations are London Terminals so is this acceptable?

All help would be much appreciated.
Regards Billy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
It is a known 'feature' of the National Rail season ticket calculator that if you enter a specific London Terminal, it will change it to mean 'London Terminals', even if the one you specified is not valid for your journey.

So, even if you put Waterloo, it will actually give you a price to Liverpool Street (without any warning that it has done this).

Billywizz

Thanks for your help SS4,
What would be the shortest Route then?
The only other season ticket that is coming up on the season ticket calculator on the nationalrail website is Colchester to London Zones 1-6?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tony how can i get a price for Colchester to London Zone1 seasonticket on the nationalrail site?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Travelcards from stations outside the zones must include at least Zone 6, so one that is valid into Zone 1 will need to include all the zones between Zone 1 and Zone 6.

You cannot have a travelcard from a station outside the zones including only Zone 1.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Travelcards from stations outside of the London Zones are only available as Z1-6 Travelcards (assuming you wish to travel to central London, outer zones tickets e.g. Z56 are available too).

A Colchester-London Terminals ticket is not valid to Waterloo as once you have arrived at Liverpool St the journey is complete. (it may be valid to some other London Terminals, e.g. Moorgate or Fenchurch St, but only by rail). To get to Waterloo you would need either the Travelcard option, a seperate ticket for the Tube (more expensive in this case), or to travel by bus or cycle (which would both be cheaper than the difference between the London Terminals and Travelcard tickets).

34D

Established Member
Zone 1 doesn't want to come up and it's not worth the trouble to get a separate Z1 from TfL.

£420.10/month to London Terminals (ie: Liverpool Street)
£504.60/month to London Travelcard Zone 1-6

I prefer to use London Midland's season finder (should work on any webtis site): http://tickets.londonmidland.com/lm/en/Journeyplanning/SeasonMixingDeck

Great advice from SS4 above. Just to clarify that a Colchester-London Terminals ticket is only valid into the appropriate London Terminal station - which is Liverpool Street and _possibly_ Fenchurch Street (I haven't checked).

Even though you typed in 'waterloo' this is (as already stated) a known issue.

The travelcard seems the best option, unless anyone else can find a Colchester to U1 fare.

Billywizz

So Cheapest is 5,500 for Yearly Season Ticket?.. Surely there must be a cheaper way if its 4,600 to Liverpool Street which gets me in Zone 1.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
How long do you want this season to last?

TP

Last edited:

Billywizz

Ok Thanks Guys,

Just one more idea possibly what about if i was to change at Stratford? which is Zone 3?
to last one year transportphoto.

thedbdiboy

So Cheapest is 5,500 for Yearly Season Ticket?.. Surely there must be a cheaper way if its 4,600 to Liverpool Street which gets me in Zone 1.

Unfortunately, that last bit is on the most overcrowded and expensive bit of the public transport network hence costing £900 per year. Your best bet would actually be to register for membership of the TfL Cycle Hire scheme and cycle from Liverpool St to Waterloo. Trust me, it will also be quicker and more comfortable!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Changing at Stratford using the Jubilee line onward to Waterloo, you would require a Colchester to London Zones 1-6 season. £5256.00 per year.

TP

Billywizz

Changing at Stratford using the Jubilee line onward to Waterloo, you would require a Colchester to London Zones 1-6 season. £5256.00 per year.

TP

5 days a week probably leaving 6:30 am, and returning 5:30pm Starting 16th July for one year.
Thankyou everyone so much more helpful than national rail!!

Great Forum :)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just one more idea possibly what about if i was to change at Stratford?

As above, it would cost the same but probably make for a more pleasant journey. I expect it would take about the same time (experience will tell). This is the way I make the connection on the rare occasions I'm going from SW London to East Anglia.

Alternatively you could bike or walk from Liverpool St to your destination, which would take 30-40 minutes (walking). Depending on how far your offices are from Waterloo this may not add all that much time to your journey (cycling would probably be faster than the Tube).

Billywizz

Thanks Lexy Boy i am rely thinking about just walking it? by office is 5 min walk from waterloo (SouthBank). Do you think this would be a good idea is it rely busy walking through london iv never been before? Also would it be relatively save say in the winter when it gets dark early?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Taken LexyBoy's suggestion, I shall recommend Barclays Cycle Hire. £45 for a years unlimited access. Couple this with a £4376 Colchester to London Terminals annual (gold card) it gives you £4421.

The season would be a Gold Card so you could get and register a PAYG Oyster card and load your gold card discount onto oyster and get discounted PAYG fares when you need to use rail/underground.

TP

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One possible alternative if you're really determined to cut costs is a Colchester - Zones 2-6 Travelcard. The cost is £4620 a year and allows you to do Colchester - Stratford, then the Jubilee to Canada Water, and then the 381 bus to Waterloo.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
One possible alternative if you're really determined to cut costs is a Colchester - Zones 2-6 Travelcard. The cost is £4620 a year and allows you to do Colchester - Stratford, then the Jubilee to Canada Water, and then the 381 bus to Waterloo.

That would be £4620.00 per 12 months.

TP

Billywizz

Taken LexyBoy's suggestion, I shall recommend Barclays Cycle Hire. £45 for a years unlimited access. Couple this with a £4376 Colchester to London Terminals annual (gold card) it gives you £4421.

The season would be a Gold Card so you could get and register a PAYG Oyster card and load your gold card discount onto oyster and get discounted PAYG fares when you need to use rail/underground.

TP

Sounds A good idea TP how does the bike hire work do you pick it up everyday from somewhere? near Liverpool street?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks Lexy Boy i am rely thinking about just walking it? by office is 5 min walk from waterloo (SouthBank). Do you think this would be a good idea is it rely busy walking through london iv never been before? Also would it be relatively save say in the winter when it gets dark early?

If you're not familiar with London then I would recommend checking out the route (there will be loads of course, some more scenic/interesting and some busier). There will be routes which avoid busy roads most of the way, it's just a matter of trying them out.

Walkit is good for planning routes, and gives the option to find the fastest route or a less busy route.

If you get an Oyster card you will be able to get a bus or the Tube if you're running late or it's chucking it down (do this too often of course and you'll lose the financial advantage).

In terms of safety, I'd feel safer walking around central London any time than Colchester! At the times you'll be commuting, there will be plenty of other people around.

Sounds A good idea TP how does the bike hire work do you pick it up everyday from somewhere? near Liverpool street?

You can take a bike from any of the racks in London (lots and lots of them) and return it to any of them. See here.

Last edited:

Nick W

Established Member
If you're working for the good future, I'd recommend a fold-up bike. I have a family member who commutes to Liverpool Street daily and cycles to a workplace near Waterloo. I can enquire as to which routes are best to cycle. Get a decent fold-up bike (£400 will probably still pay for itself pretty soon) as otherwise you'll spend every evening fixing things as they go wrong.

I used to cycle daily in Colchester and can confirm it's safe (with a few tips which I quickly learned). The road network is particularly good for cycling thanks to the number of "bus gates" whether you approach the station from the north or go via the centre of Colchester. (It may a month or two to cycle up some of the hills without getting off admittedly.)

34D

Established Member
Since the cycle hire scheme started, I often cycle between London terminal stations when I need to Cross London.

Liverpool St to Waterloo is a fairly long journey (by my own unfit standards). There is the 26 that links the two - others may be able to suggest how long it takes in the peak.

I like the idea of the 381 from Canada Water too.

Status
Not open for further replies.