• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Finsbury Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Would a London Terminals to Finsbury Park return be able to get you from Kings Cross to St Pancras International via Finsbury Park by travelling from Kings Cross to Finsbury Park and then from Finsbury Park to St Pancras using Great Northern and Thameslink services (operated by GTR)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yep, and more expensively than a London Terminals to Hornsey return ticket.

Kite159

Veteran Member

I wonder what the oyster system will think if someone tapped in at Kings Cross and tapped out at St Pancras having gone via Finsbury park (and using a train which used platform 5 at Finsbury park which doesn't have barriers).
:lol:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I wonder what the oyster system will think if someone tapped in at Kings Cross and tapped out at St Pancras having gone via Finsbury park (and using a train which used platform 5 at Finsbury park which doesn't have barriers).
That's a more interesting question. Wherever I look there are no fares found. Perhaps the system would simply charge a maximum fare at both ends?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think in the mind of anyone with an ounce of common sense it would be the correct course of action to not touch out at Finsbury Park then in.

Can't say I would feel any sympathy for anyone not doing so and ending up with two maximum fares.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Or for that matter used a GTR train service both to and from Finsbury Park which would allow you to change from one train to another at Finsbury Park without having to go through any barriers (unlike Birmingham New St).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Fair point but no thanks, I don't want to use Oyster.
Do you have a particular reason to avoid Oyster?
Yep, and more expensively than a London Terminals to Hornsey return ticket.
Thanks, I suppose I could use that instead then.
Ah yes, the difference between fares set by TfL and RDG on behalf of London TOCs.
That's a more interesting question. Wherever I look there are no fares found. Perhaps the system would simply charge a maximum fare at both ends?
That's unlikely. Whenever I've tested a pair of stations without fares set the system usually manages to come up with an appropriate fare. Why don't you try it out next time you're in London?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Why don't you try it out next time you're in London?
I was in London just yesterday but unfortunately I only saw this thread too late to try it out. I'll certainly try it the next time I'm in London.

OwlMan

Established Member
which would allow you to change ... without having to go through any barriers (unlike Birmingham New St).
There is no need to pass through any barrier to change at New Street. All platforms are connected inside the barriers at the western (towards Wolverhampton) end of the station

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I don't think in the mind of anyone with an ounce of common sense it would be the correct course of action to not touch out at Finsbury Park then in.

Can't say I would feel any sympathy for anyone not doing so and ending up with two maximum fares.
Geoff Marshall did this with Catford / Catford Bridge, and it charged him the appropriate fare. There's no reason why anyone would be charged two maximum fares.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Geoff Marshall did this with Catford / Catford Bridge, and it charged him the appropriate fare. There's no reason why anyone would be charged two maximum fares.
Just saying, but no, I have never experienced two maximum fares due to the fare not being defined in the Single Fare Finder, but without definitive proof that possibility cannot be ruled out.

paddington

If you touch out at Finsbury Park NR then try to touch in at a standalone validator (on the barrierless platforms), it will count as a "continuation exit" and you will not have a valid ticket on the second train.

At least something like that happened to me at FPK 2-3 years ago, but I can't remember exactly now. Maybe MikeWh can confirm.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Catford to Catford Bridge is defined in the fares database.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you touch out at Finsbury Park NR then try to touch in at a standalone validator (on the barrierless platforms), it will count as a "continuation exit" and you will not have a valid ticket on the second train.

At least something like that happened to me at FPK 2-3 years ago, but I can't remember exactly now. Maybe MikeWh can confirm.
If you touch out at a gate line then touch a validator it will be an entry. Only validators can set continuation exit.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does that mean that although you cannot buy a ticket from one to the other, the Oyster system recognises it as a valid journey
Yes it does. It's also underpriced, though I suspect that is a clustering type error. It should be a zone 2-3 journey but it's priced as zone 3 only.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Or for that matter used a GTR train service both to and from Finsbury Park which would allow you to change from one train to another at Finsbury Park without having to go through any barriers (unlike Birmingham New St).

Finsbury park has barriers on platforms 7 & 8 which is where the bulk of stoppers away from London call, however platform 5 has no gateline. Likewise towards London platforms 1 & 2 are open but platform 4 has barriers.

clagmonster

Established Member

I believe the platforms at Finsbury Park are an Out of Station Interchange with each other, so it shouldn't matter if the passenger touches out and in or not. The OSI is presumably set to allow journeys such as Kings Cross - Drayton Park to involve a barriered platform.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
They are OSIs, and King's Cross - Drayton Park is a perfectly legitimate journey.

I cannot possibly buy the idea however that King's Cross - St Pancras International via Finsbury Park is a single journey anyone would make rather than a return trip to Finsbury Park.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I believe the platforms at Finsbury Park are an Out of Station Interchange with each other, so it shouldn't matter if the passenger touches out and in or not. The OSI is presumably set to allow journeys such as Kings Cross - Drayton Park to involve a barriered platform.

They are OSIs, and King's Cross - Drayton Park is a perfectly legitimate journey.

I cannot possibly buy the idea however that King's Cross - St Pancras International via Finsbury Park is a single journey anyone would make rather than a return trip to Finsbury Park.
I can find no details of an internal OSI at Finsbury Park NR. Only between NR & LU.

Of course KX to SP is absolutely as ridiculous as Catford to Catford Bridge by rail. I blame Geoff Marshall.

xotGD

Established Member
I recently planned to travel Blackfriars to King's Cross via Finsbury Park (to then catch an onward service north). However when I saw the barriers at Finsbury Park I decided against it and got back on the train to Stevenage and changed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.