• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Manchester Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgsh2011

Can anyone tell me if the return portion of an Off Peak Return , Manchester -London Terminals Return (svr) would be valid to start short at Richmond (London) and go via Reading?

A staff member tried to argue that it was not but his manager overruled him saying it was. That being said I have just checked the routing guide and I have a "nasty" feeling the staff member may have been correct!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
The relevant "London Terminal" for Manchester is Euston I believe, so no, you cannot start from Richmond using a London Terminals to Manchester off-peak return.

Richmond is not a london terminal, neither is it on the Route from Euston (or possibly another London terminal in north london)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you'd need either a Richmond-Manchester ticket or possibly a Zone U1234 to Manchester ticket to start the journey from Richmond? Maybe there is the potential to pay an excess fare?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The relevant "London Terminal" for Manchester is Euston

Or St Pancras, or Paddington, or Marylebone...

Unfortunately there are no mapped routes covering Waterloo-Reading so it is not valid. You could potentially excess your ticket as Urban Gateline suggets, although this is likely to be a faff and you would probably find it easier to use Oyster to travel to somewhere the ticket would be valid from.

If you wanted to travel via Reading you could start at Ealing (65 bus from Richmond station to Ealing Broadway station).

cuccir

Established Member
Among other routes, this ticket is valid on map 'CS'. This permits travel via Reading - Didcot - Oxford - Banbury - Birmingham - Stafford/Crewe.

However, it does not include Richmond. Presuming that you got the direct train from Richmond to Reading, your ticket wasn't valid between Richmond and Wokingham. From South-West London the ticket is valid from Calpham Junction or Paddington onto Hayes, or from Marylebone.

In theory you should have paid a small excess - the difference between a Manchester-London and Manchester-Richmond off-peak return is £3.30 so I think a return-leg over distance excess would have set you back £1.15!

calc7

Established Member
I believe you'd need either a Richmond-Manchester ticket or possibly a Zone U1234 to Manchester ticket to start the journey from Richmond? Maybe there is the potential to pay an excess fare?

Zone U1234* would only really be useful if the OP wanted to travel from a valid London terminal (Euston, Marylebone, St Pancras or Paddington). Instead, the OP wants to travel from Richmond outwards, so is looking for a ticket that permits travel via Staines.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Overdistance excess would be the full difference in fares, if sold as an excess (rather than a separate ticket to cover the extra distance).

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
True, I believe the official procedure is for the excess to be the full difference (see here) but many TIS are configured to use the older calculation, which is fine for the customer!

It definitely wouldn't be £1.15 though!

cuccir

Established Member
True, I believe the official procedure is for the excess to be the full difference (see here) but many TIS are configured to use the older calculation, which is fine for the customer!

It definitely wouldn't be £1.15 though!

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.