• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Windsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAPhil

If I purchase this ticket is the outbound journey restricted to from Waterloo and/or Paddington or would it be valid from elsewhere, e.g. CityThameslink?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There isn't a "Windsor Stations" group you can buy a ticket too. And journey planners won't sell you a journey to Riverside that goes via Slough, or to Central that goes via Staines.

That aside, a ticket valid to Windsor Riverside can be used from any of the "Southern Region" London Terminals - i.e. Vauxhall, Waterloo, Waterloo East, Victoria, Charing Cross, London Bridge, Cannon Street, Blackfriars or City Thameslink.

SAPhil

The GWR one appears to!

2021-07-09_12-41-38.png

As it happens I would probably go via Waterloo anyway. Given that the ticket won't include a Maltese cross I'd have to go via London Bridge and Waterloo East.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The GWR one appears to!

View attachment 99472

As it happens I would probably go via Waterloo anyway. Given that the ticket won't include a Maltese cross I'd have to go via London Bridge and Waterloo East.
If a ticket is sold in conjunction with a particular itinerary it's valid.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee hassle-free travel.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The GWR one appears to!

View attachment 99472

You would be issued a ticket to Windsor & Eton Central if you purchased this. It wouldn't be valid to travel by train from Riverside.

island

Veteran Member
In practice, a ticket to W&E Central won’t be accepted by the barriers at Waterloo (etc.), one to W&E Riverside won’t be accepted at Paddington, and a ticket from W&E Central won’t be accepted at Riverside; you will be told to buy a new ticket. Regardless of how much you go on about itineraries, contracts, or anything else.

There is no interchangeability between the two routes.

alistairlees

Established Member
The GWR one appears to!

View attachment 99472

That's a ticket to Windsor & Eton Central, with a walk for you from there to Windsor & Eton Riverside.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A ticket to Datchet used to be the workaround if you wanted to travel one way and return the other. Unfortunately there's a negative easement preventing this nowadays although technically I'm not sure if the easement can be enforced due to the 3 mile rule.

SAPhil

Thanks for the info. I won't try and be too clever then! Just to confirm that the ticket to Windsor & Eton Riverside is issued from London Terminals rather than London Waterloo?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for the info. I won't try and be too clever then! Just to confirm that the ticket to Windsor & Eton Riverside is issued from London Terminals rather than London Waterloo?
Yes, flexible tickets are normally issued from London Terminals rather than a specific station. This is no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.