• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

dggar

I have booked tickets for a journey from Newport South Wales to Doncaster.

I booked it as a single from Newport to Paddington and a single from Kings Cross to Docaster.

The tickets say Newport S.Wales to London Terminals.
Route Great Western only. and
London Terminals to Doncaster.
Route EC & Connections.

This may be a silly question but does this mean I can use the ticket(s) to tavel between Paddington and Kings Cross on the Underground?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
This may be a silly question but does this mean I can use the ticket(s) to tavel between Paddington and Kings Cross on the Underground?
No, you'll have to buy separate ticket/use Oyster/etc.

horizonflame

Can you confirm if you have booked advance singles or standard anytime / off-peak / super off-peak singles?

If your tickets are the later, a simple option would be to excess your Newport - London single to a Newport - Zone 1 single for around £3. This will enable you to cross London on the Underground without the need for an Oyster card.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
In order to have travel between Paddington and King's Cross included, one of your tickets should have been bought from/to Zone U1* Londn, ie. either Newport S.Wales to Zone U1* Londn or Zone U1* Londn to Doncaster.

But in reality it is cheaper to pay with Oyster PAYG anyway. The downside is that you may not be covered for delays while travelling on the Underground if paying by Oyster PAYG.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can you confirm if you have booked advance singles or standard anytime / off-peak / super off-peak singles?

Given the routing on the ticket, I think it is safe to assume that it is an Advance ticket.

David Goddard

Established Member
Sometimes I have found that it can come up cheaper if when splitting a cross London journey to book one leg to the first station beyond your cross London transfer.

An example in this instance could be Newport to Finsbury Park (thereby covering cross London transfer by Circle Line) and then Kings Cross to Doncaster.

Of course if planning to transfer by bus (205 links Paddington and Kings Cross) then a cross London rail ticket is not valid and you would need Oyster or cash.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An example in this instance could be Newport to Finsbury Park (thereby covering cross London transfer by Circle Line) and then Kings Cross to Doncaster.

While common sense says that you should, you may find that if both are Advance fares, you are not covered in the event of delays whilst travelling on the first leg of your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.