• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Basingstoke routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandroid

Established Member
I have booked a Super Off Peak Single from Sheffield to Basingstoke via London. I have to call in at Kings College Hospital on the way. The usual stations I use for that are either Loughborough Junction or Denmark Hill. If the time is right I would then go on from Denmark Hill via Clapham Junction to Basingstoke. I am trying to minimise any extra spend on travel within London. How far can I go within London on that ticket? What are the permitted routes through south London?

I know from experience that similar tickets have allowed me to exit at Brixton tube station (from where I would get a bus), but would prefer the simplicity of getting a train from St Pancras Thameslink southwards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
By asking for Sheffield to Basingstoke "via Elephant & Castle", I can get Sheffield-St Pancras-Elephant & Castle-Waterloo-Basingstoke itineraries for that ticket. I haven't managed to come up with an itinerary that gets you any closer to KCH.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd use Thameslink to Elephant as Romilly suggests, then bus to KCH and back to Waterloo - 68 or 468 both ways. You'd not be limited to the Basingstoke trains which call at CJ then.

Note that the Elephant-Waterloo leg is listed as a "transfer" in NRE, though I'm not sure whether you could still use the cross-London leg of your ticket for that or if it would be used up by St Pancras - E&C.

Wolfie

Established Member
I'd use Thameslink to Elephant as Romilly suggests, then bus to KCH and back to Waterloo - 68 or 468 both ways. You'd not be limited to the Basingstoke trains which call at CJ then.

Note that the Elephant-Waterloo leg is listed as a "transfer" in NRE, though I'm not sure whether you could still use the cross-London leg of your ticket for that or if it would be used up by St Pancras - E&C.

Re your last question the ticket won't have been through any tube barriers if St Pancras to Elephant is done by Thameslink so I assume would work Elephant to Waterloo on the Bakerloo line.

To minimise costs ensure Oyster PAYG used on the bus....

fandroid

Established Member
Thanks for your help. I was already on the move south of Leicester when I read your posts, so I booked a single online from EPH to LBJ, to be picked up at St Pancras, having checked that the first connection there was a Sutton train. I walked out of LBJ straight on to a no 45 bus to KCH.

I'm sitting in the Phoenix at Denmark Hill station (always a temptation after the Hurley-burley of KCH). The barriers at St Pancras rejected my through ticket but I was waved through anyway. I will Oyster my way back to EPH but will try the through ticket on the Bakerloo barriers there. Thanks again.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Excellent boozer the Phoenix. I'd forgotten that there are trains from Denmark Hill to E&C, hence the bus suggestion. I think the bus would take a similar time overall though.

To minimise costs ensure Oyster PAYG used on the bus....

Oyster or contactless are your only options unless you've a pass of some sort! Both £1.50.

fandroid

Established Member
The Sheffield-Basingstoke ticket worked the barriers OK at Elephant and Castle tube station (and of course at Waterloo).

I have a Concessionary Pass so buses cost nothing. However, I was keen to see how far my through ticket could stretch. I saved a princely 25p on the Denmark Hill to Waterloo journey (discounted with a Senior Railcard).

The convenience of using Thameslink from St Pancras is persuasive. There are tiny savings available from nuancing the journey further but I think it's a bit too much hassle.

pne

I booked a single online from EPH to LBJ, to be picked up at St Pancras, having checked that the first connection there was a Sutton train. I walked out of LBJ straight on to a no 45 bus to KCH.

I presume you mean LGJ (Loughborough Junction), rather than LBJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.