• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Bolton - Cheapest Train Fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sep

Hello,

I am looking for a train fare (return) from London to Bolton, cheapest fare. I don't mind a longer journey for this but here are the times:

1st September
Arrival Need to be at Bolton by 4pm, can stretch it an hour or so.
Departure after 8pm.

London Euston/ Kings Cross are good stations but can travel to others within London.

I'm not sure if trains go direct to Bolton but the postcode for Bolton starts with BL2.

I have a £10 voucher on Red Spotted Hanky if that helps bring the price down. If it is better splitting the journey then I'm sure I can ask family to pass their vouchers on to me too (£10 each) but it would have to be on Red Spotted Hanky.

What type of prices am I looking at? Not sure what the cheapest fare price is for this journey. Thank you for helpful replies in advance! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Plenty of £13.50 Advances on 1st September London - Bolton. You can book to Hall-I-Th-Wood if you want, but it will give you fewer trains to choose from. Same price though.

£74.20 for an off-peak return, if you book on Virgin Trains' website (not sure about red spotted hanky or other sites) you can book on a half return basis - £37.10 in one direction, the Advance fare in the other

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The cheapest fares will likely have all gone by now. They go on sale approximately 12 weeks in advance.

What have you found so far?

Plenty of £13.50 Advances on 1st September London - Bolton. You can book to Hall-I-Th-Wood if you want, but it will give you fewer trains to choose from. Same price though.

I don't see any at the times the OP wishes to travel.

sep

£13.50 sounds great! Is that on websites like RSH?

Only looked at a return ticket so far but going to look again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

£74.20 for an off-peak return, if you book on Virgin Trains' website (not sure about red spotted hanky or other sites) you can book on a half return basis - £37.10 in one direction, the Advance fare in the other

Thank you. Could you let me which website and options you are using to get the £13.50 fare as I'm getting over £26 for one way.

mullin

Although I'm on my phone and can't check, are all these prices via Manchester or Wigan? I always find it cheaper travelling through Manchester...

calc7

Established Member
Although I'm on my phone and can't check, are all these prices via Manchester or Wigan? I always find it cheaper travelling through Manchester...

Not surprising - 3 train an hour from London to Manchester but only 1 to Preston.

Status
Not open for further replies.