• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykn

I'm off to Bristol tomorrow for the day on a Super Off Peak return. I can't seem to book "Bristol (All stations)" using the First Great Western website, but I might want to travel in to Temple Meads and out from Parkway (I'm going to Bristol Rovers, almost exactly half way between the two).

The price is the same for each one, will I be able to go into one and come out via the other?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

exile

Established Member
As they are both in the Bristol Group in the Routeing Guide you should be able to
return from either station as far as I know. However someone here may know different.....

andykn

As they are both in the Bristol Group in the Routeing Guide you should be able to
return from either station as far as I know. However someone here may know different.....

Thanks, I just looked on the National Rail site too; it lets me search by "Bristol (All Stations)" but as soon as I select an outward journey on the Super Off Peak return it will only let me select the same station for the the return.

Brucey

Select Bristol Temple Meads.

As Parkway is between Temple Meads and London, you can effectively start your journey at Parkway and ignore the Temple Meads to Parkway section.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you're looking at either of the two tickets below:

London Terminals - Bristol Temple M
Route Any Permitted
Super Off-Peak Return
£51.50

London Terminals - Bristol Parkway
Route Any Permitted
Super Off-Peak Return
£51.50

then as exile mentioned above, you're permitted to travel to/from either Temple Meads or Parkway, or mix and match.

A Super Off-Peak ticket is a flexible ticket, so you don't have to travel on the train you have a reservation for (subject to applicable time restrictions, which in this case is provided here).

Booking engines are not configured to be able to handle different origin/destination combination for each leg of a return trip, however you are not obliged to stick to the itinerary given.

If you're going to the Memorial Ground, you might want to consider PlusBus, as bus fares in Bristol can be prohibitively high.

Last edited:

Have you checked day return fares London - didcot & didcot - Bristol. Used to offer good savings over London Bristol return and should be able to buy both at padd just need to make sure trains stop at didcot but think all do

bnm

Established Member
Have you checked day return fares London - didcot & didcot - Bristol. Used to offer good savings over London Bristol return and should be able to buy both at padd just need to make sure trains stop at didcot but think all do

Not on Saturdays. There are three trains an hour to and from Bristol on a Saturday for most of the day, excepting early morning and late evening. Two to/from Temple Meads, one to/from Parkway. One an hour to/from Bristol TM calls at Diddy.

Agree that a split at Didcot into two Day Returns will yield a saving, but being a Saturday that limits you to travel out and back to/from Temple Meads. (You can go to/from Parkway but would need to change at Swindon onto/off of a Didcot caller)

London - Didcot Off Peak Day Return £22.50
Didcot - Bristol Temple Meads/Parkway Off Peak Day Return £21.00
Total: £43.50

Saving £8 on the through Super Off Peak Return fare. More than enough for a half time pie and beverage of your choice at The Mem. Up the Gas! (Guessing the OP may be a Shrimper though....)

To note again. You must travel on services that call at Didcot for this split ticket combination to be valid.

Last edited:

andykn

Thanks all for the great advice.

I am indeed a Shrimper.

I did look at the Salisbury route as I have a Network Railcard to take me to Salisbury and live quite close to Clapham Junction but the first direct train there only gets in at 15.04 and we need to get back to London in time to take the ladies out.

Hadn't thought of the split ticket idea, will bear it in mind for future trips away, hopefully in League 1 :)

bnm

Established Member
Not to forget that your Network Railcard will give you 1/3 off the London Terminals-Didcot Day Return fare should you decide to use the split on future Saturday trips to Bristol.

If The Shrimpers do make it to Div 1 at the end of this season you could be travelling to As***n G*t* next season to play the hopefully going down City..... <(

Ivo

Established Member
I grew up in Southend and they are my second team. And it's my birthday next Saturday so I really wanted to go watch them at the Memorial today, especially now that one Mr Eastwood has returned. In fact, it's the second season in three that the Saturday immediately before my birthday has been Bristol Rovers vs Southend United, but I was in Birmingham that day in 2010 so I missed it too (forumites may know why I was in Birmingham - 'twas my first Challenge). But this time around I'm too tight on money to be able to afford the admission :cry: EDIT: Oh, come on, I've just realised I could have gotten in for £7! Not any more :cry:

Anyhow, lament over - forum duty calls. Splitting at Didcot Parkway is the best way to go, unless the Salisbury route appeals. Otherwise, the only advice I can give you relates to moving around Bristol on the day. As noted before, PlusBus is the way to go (£3.50). There are no direct buses between Temple Meads and the Mem to my knowledge, but this shouldn't be a problem. From the forecourt of Temple Meads travel on the 8 or 9 to the central area (ask the driver to tell you when you get to St Augustine's Parade) and then travel on the 73 or 75 to the Mem. From there you can travel on the 73 again to Parkway.

I think this is right anyway (I'm sure bnm could correct me if need be)...

bnm

Established Member
There are no direct buses between Temple Meads and the Mem to my knowledge, but this shouldn't be a problem. From the forecourt of Temple Meads travel on the 8 or 9 to the central area (ask the driver to tell you when you get to St Augustine's Parade) and then travel on the 73 or 75 to the Mem. From there you can travel on the 73 again to Parkway.

I think this is right anyway (I'm sure bnm could correct me if need be)...

No need for correction. All correct. ;) Either two buses (8 or 9 first to Broadmead/St James Barton) or a walk to Broadmead then the 73 to practically outside The Mem, or 75/76 to the top of Gloucester Road and a short walk to the stadium.

jkdd77

Or travel via Salisbury for £37.60 return, although it is a slow route.

It's not relevant to the OP for this trip (since he has already bought a ticket), but, for future reference, a rte Warminster/ Salisbury ticket to Severn Beach is merely £31, and permits BoJ on both legs.

If splitting at Didcot instead, trains from London to Bristol Parkway on Saturdays invariably don't stop at Didcot, but most trains from Bristol Parkway to London on Saturdays do stop there.

andykn

They could have let someone else take the penalty :|

As soon as we saw "Prince Harry" playing upfront my mate said put a bet on him being first scorer. He scored against us at home too, I believe. The curse of the reject has been heavy on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.