• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Dover Priory

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinstoke

It's been a good while since I travelled this route, can any remind me what stets were used on that run in 1982.
Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
It's been a good while since I travelled this route, can any remind me what stets were used on that run in 1982.
Dave.
Mainly Class 411 (4-CEP) and Class 423 (4-VEP) EMUs, and I think you also occasionally used to get 414s (2-HAPs) on the Victoria-Dover semi-fasts.

The CEPs were refurbished between about 1979 and 1983, so during that period there was a mixture of refurbished and unrefurbished units in service.

You also used to get Class 419 Motor Luggage Vans (MLVs) coupled to CEPs, I think mainly on boat trains but they may also have occasionally turned up on ordinary services especially where they interworked with boat trains on the same diagram.

Taunton

Established Member
No HAPs between Folkestone and Dover, they (and anything non-corridor) were banned in the narrow single-bore tunnels there. They could get to Dover via either Canterbury or Ramsgate. The through trains from London to Dover by all routes were pretty wholly just CEP.

I never encountered an MLV on a normal passenger service but they were used on parcels services, on their own or with trailing vans, and also even on freight. A real oddball duty was in the heatwave and water shortage summer of 1976, washing trains was banned at Ramsgate depot, until someone remembered BR had their own old well near Folkestone; some retired milk tankers were resuscitated and a pair of MLVs hauled them every day to Ramsgate depot washing plant.

bassmike

On Moderation
I used to see a M L V on it's own regularly rushing through Cooden Beach E B at about 80mph about 11.30 pm. (early 80's)

Status
Not open for further replies.