• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to East Grinstead 1st class fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miken

Hello, Forgive me if this has been asked before.... I'm new round here.... Can anyone comment on why a 1st Anytime Day Single from London Victoria to East Grinstead is £16.30 whilst the same ticket from East Grinstead to Victoria is only £15.90? Many thanks, Mike

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
It's because that's the price Southern thinks people will pay!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)

Return
fares are cheaper if bought from London Terminals as the origin, perhaps because the market of people going for a day out from East Grinstead to London is far higher than the other way round.

However singles are cheaper if bought from East Grinstead as the origin. I can't think of any logical reason for that, but it's Southern's decision so you can try asking them.

In 2007 the fares were identical (Source: Avantix Traveller NFM95) in both directions, for both single and return tickets.

Southern

It's often cheaper to travel into London than it is to travel out, hence the fares you found. Traveling to Charing Cross from Folkestone at 3pm today would cost me £20 for a Super Off-Peak Day Return. If, however, my journey had began at 12pm today FROM Charing Cross, the cheapest return fare available is £28.50.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Within the LSE area, it's generally cheaper to buy fares away from London, or that fares away from London have more favourable restrictions, due to historical reasons, probably down to the fact more people want to leave London than go into it. This is shown in the case of return fares from London Terminals to East Grinstead being lower than the reverse. However for some reason FDS and SDS tickets are the other way around in this case. I suspect this is more likely to be a cock-up rather than intentional.

Some Tocs however have gone the opposite and sell Super Off-peak Return tickets only available on Weekends into London rather than out of it, which is daft, however fortunately others sell these tickets for both ways.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's often cheaper to travel into London than it is to travel out, hence the fares you found. Traveling to Charing Cross from Folkestone at 3pm today would cost me £20 for a Super Off-Peak Day Return. If, however, my journey had began at 12pm today FROM Charing Cross, the cheapest return fare available is £28.50.
CDR fares are identical in both directions.
SVR fares are slightly cheaper from London to Folkestone.
SDR fares are considerably cheaper from London to Folkestone (because there isn't really much point charging a premium in the morning 'peak' going towards Folkestone).

However there is a specific fare that is only available routed Not HS1 issued specifically to Charing Cross (not London Terminals) that is only available with London Charing Cross (CHX) as the destination, making it cheaper to do a day out from Folkestone to London if you are using the slow route to Charing Cross, and returning the same day.

Miken

OK... Thank-you everyone for those comments, interesting and helpful. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.