• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to East Grinstead return via Tunbridge Wells

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughes_jane

My hiking group want to walk the Forest Way from East Grinstead to Groomsbridge and then get on the Spa Valley Railway train to Tunbridge Wells West. I am expecting we'd have to pay the Spa Valley fare separately as it isn't part of national rail.

We'd then have dinner in Tunbridge Wells and go back to London via Tunbridge Wells.

Is there any way of making this a return fare? East Grinstead and Tunbridge Wells and I think are different train companies and aren't on the same line so I am guessing we may simply have to buy 2 singles.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there any way of making this a return fare? East Grinstead and Tunbridge Wells and I think are different train companies and aren't on the same line so I am guessing we may simply have to buy 2 singles.
Yes, they simply aren't on the same line and East Grinstead is a dead end. You could get the 291 bus from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead instead of going direct to East Grinstead but nothing much else to avoid the need for two single fares from and to London.

London Terminals to East Grinstead is £15.00 single
Tunbridge Wells to London Terminals is £15.90 single

Total = £30.90

The following combination is slightly cheaper

London Terminals to Tunbridge Wells £17.60 return (valid via Redhill as well as via Sevenoaks)
East Croydon to East Grinstead £11.00 single

Total = £28.60

Unfortunately, the Redhill - Tonbridge and Oxted - East Grinstead routes meet in the middle of nowhere.

alistairlees

Established Member
My hiking group want to walk the Forest Way from East Grinstead to Groomsbridge and then get on the Spa Valley Railway train to Tunbridge Wells West. I am expecting we'd have to pay the Spa Valley fare separately as it isn't part of national rail.

We'd then have dinner in Tunbridge Wells and go back to London via Tunbridge Wells.

Thanks!
How many of you are travelling? What time / day of the week would you like to set off from London, ideally?

I walked some of the Forest Way from groombridge a few weeks ago, it is very pleasant and easy going.

Happy to recommend a few places to stop off or to eat in Tunbridge wells.

steamybrian

Established Member
I live local to the area and I have walked the whole route of the Forest Way many times. I am also probably one of the few readers who travelled over the route by train...!
Warning - Be aware of the cyclists who seem to think it is their own race track.
I can also recommend places to eat on the route and at Tunbridge Wells.
If you require any further information please contact.

kieron

Established Member

Which station do you plan to start from? You mention London, but give your location as Croydon, so I'd rather not assume. The other questions in this post are quite relevant, too.

A return to Tunbridge Wells would be valid as far as Upper Warlingham (the idea being that you could walk back to Whyteleafe, catch a train to Purley, and go south from there), but it's not worth it if you're starting from East Croydon.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A return to Tunbridge Wells would be valid as far as Upper Warlingham (the idea being that you could walk back to Whyteleafe, catch a train to Purley, and go south from there), but it's not worth it if you're starting from East Croydon.
Starting at East Croydon, a ticket from Croydon Stations to Tunbridge Wells is presumably valid to Hurst Green if Edenbridge Town - Edenbridge is a valid walk for the shortest route consideration (but the original message referred to going back into London and I don't think it can be argued that London Terminals to Tunbridge Wells is valid via the two Edenbridge stations as it isn't the shortest route, within three miles of going via Sevenoaks, or mapped).

hughes_jane

You can use Groupsave on both routes depending on your time of travel to further reduce the cost.
Thanks - we will definitely use groupsave for those who intend to travel together

I live local to the area and I have walked the whole route of the Forest Way many times. I am also probably one of the few readers who travelled over the route by train...!
Warning - Be aware of the cyclists who seem to think it is their own race track.
I can also recommend places to eat on the route and at Tunbridge Wells.
If you require any further information please contact.
Ha ha thanks Brian - yes I've run the trail three times but wasn't aware of the Spa Valley Railway until Sunday when I went out to see it at Groomsbridge and had a chat with the ticket officer!

There are alot of cyclists indeed - I would say they are the predominant users of the route. It's not an issue when I am by myself as I tend to keep clearly to one side of the path so that they can pass, but the hiking group will spread out so I need to make them aware of cyclists behind and ahead.

Have you ever found the toilets at Forest Row? I have never managed to find them - this isn't a big issue by myself but when I lead the hiking group they are going to ask me where the toilets are!

You can use Groupsave on both routes depending on your time of travel to further reduce the cost.
Thanks yes, we will!

Which station do you plan to start from? You mention London, but give your location as Croydon, so I'd rather not assume. The other questions in this post are quite relevant, too.

I live in Croydon so will probably get on there but the rest live close to central London so will begin at London Victoria. The return leg would get us into London Bridge or Charing Cross if we return from Tunbridge Wells

Last edited:

hughes_jane

Yes, they simply aren't on the same line and East Grinstead is a dead end. You could get the 291 bus from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead instead of going direct to East Grinstead but nothing much else to avoid the need for two single fares from and to London.

London Terminals to East Grinstead is £15.00 single
Tunbridge Wells to London Terminals is £15.90 single

Total = £30.90

The following combination is slightly cheaper

London Terminals to Tunbridge Wells £17.60 return (valid via Redhill as well as via Sevenoaks)
East Croydon to East Grinstead £11.00 single

Total = £28.60

Unfortunately, the Redhill - Tonbridge and Oxted - East Grinstead routes meet in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks - yep this is similar to what I reckoned. I have to say I was impressed by the amount of train lines in the area! Normally, this is simpler for our hiking group as alot of areas just have one train line and we effectively walk from one station to another.

How many of you are travelling? What time / day of the week would you like to set off from London, ideally?

I walked some of the Forest Way from groombridge a few weeks ago, it is very pleasant and easy going.

Happy to recommend a few places to stop off or to eat in Tunbridge wells.
Could be up to 30 people. We will travel on a Saturday so I imagine the trail will be quite busy - I normally run in on a Sunday morning.

alistairlees

Established Member
Could be up to 30 people. We will travel on a Saturday so I imagine the trail will be quite busy - I normally run in on a Sunday morning.
Then you should contact Southeastern as you may get a better group discount: https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/tickets/ways-to-save/group-travel

You may also need to do the same with Southern (as your outward journey will be with them).

If this does not work out better, then split your booking into three or four bookings, each of no more than 9 people, to get the public GroupSave discount.

JB_B

Established Member
It might also be worth considering Southern Daysave 4 ( unlimited travel for 4 people anywhere on Southern's network for £42 - no time restriction at weekends).

See: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prbd690bc35ce74100a7ae34c3df5fff.aspx for details.

If you're willing to accept a slower route back from Tunbridge Wells to London ( Tunbridge Wells -> Tonbridge -> Redhill -> London ) then you could get the overall cost down to £14.20 per person out and back.

steamybrian

Established Member
As far as I am aware there are no public toilets in Forest Row. Before the pandemic when I have visited the village I have used the facilities in one of the cafe or pubs in which I have taken refreshment. Since the pandemic many of the toilets have been closed so I do not know the latest update on these facilities. Forest Row village has a good range of pubs and cafes but some are expensive..! Hartfield village has one pub and cafe. At Withyham the pub "Dorset Arms" is about 10 minutes walk from the station on the B2110. Finally toilets at Groombridge Spa Valley Railway station as well as refreshment kiosk. Usual last train at 1706 to Tunbridge Wells.
It would appear that you are familiar with the route otherwise take an Ordnance Survey Map. In the past I have met many people who have tried to walk along Beeching Way in East Grinstead or tried to walked along the Spa Valley Railway or got lost in Groombridge. I have met someone navigating with Google Maps on a mobile phone.

Hophead

Established Member
Throwing another option at you....

Brighton & Hove Buses number 29 runs from Tunbridge Wells to Brighton. En-route it passes Eridge Station (well, it stops on the A26, so near enough). Eridge is on the Southern network and joins the East Grinstead line 26 minutes away at Hurst Green. It may be cheapest of all to get returns to Hurst Green and add on a single to East Grinstead, along with the bus fare, which will be £3 (or nothing at all, perhaps, for some of your group). Having made a quick check, that is, it has to be said, quite high for a 10 minute journey.

Unfortunately, the bus is only hourly in these Covid-affected times and makes either a poor, or leisurely depending on your preference, connection at Eridge. 30 minutes or so does allow for any traffic congestion to be absorbed.

A couple of positives, though, are that the bus will call at Tunbridge Wells Sainsbury's adjacent to West Station and the Huntsman pub at Eridge may appeal if there's time.

This is the link to the 29's page on Brighton & Hove's website (it should come up with the timetable for this coming Saturday):
https://www.buses.co.uk/services/BH/28?date=2021-06-12&direction=inbound

Mind you, before setting out for any journey involving the Uckfield branch, I'd be checking for the latest disruptions - it's not a reliable line, though tickets are generally accepted via alternative routes (including the 29).

To quickly add - I note that there could be 30 or so travelling: the 29 is operated by double-deckers, so you should all fit on!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Brighton & Hove Buses number 29 runs from Tunbridge Wells to Brighton. En-route it passes Eridge Station (well, it stops on the A26, so near enough).
Isn't that a bit contrived when the 291 goes direct from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead and is equally run with double decker buses (for the most part)? £5.60 single from Tunbridge Wells - runs hourly in less than an hour.

Hophead

Established Member
To be honest, I'd assumed that the 291 would take longer than 47 minutes to get to East Grinstead. I'd also not taken account of it picking up so close to West Station (at The Pantiles).

steamybrian

Established Member
Throwing another option at you....

Brighton & Hove Buses number 29 runs from Tunbridge Wells to Brighton. En-route it passes Eridge Station (well, it stops on the A26, so near enough). Eridge is on the Southern network and joins the East Grinstead line 26 minutes away at Hurst Green. It may be cheapest of all to get returns to Hurst Green and add on a single to East Grinstead, along with the bus fare, which will be £3 (or nothing at all, perhaps, for some of your group). Having made a quick check, that is, it has to be said, quite high for a 10 minute journey.

Unfortunately, the bus is only hourly in these Covid-affected times and makes either a poor, or leisurely depending on your preference, connection at Eridge. 30 minutes or so does allow for any traffic congestion to be absorbed.

A couple of positives, though, are that the bus will call at Tunbridge Wells Sainsbury's adjacent to West Station and the Huntsman pub at Eridge may appeal if there's time.

This is the link to the 29's page on Brighton & Hove's website (it should come up with the timetable for this coming Saturday):
https://www.buses.co.uk/services/BH/28?date=2021-06-12&direction=inbound

Mind you, before setting out for any journey involving the Uckfield branch, I'd be checking for the latest disruptions - it's not a reliable line, though tickets are generally accepted via alternative routes (including the 29).

To quickly add - I note that there could be 30 or so travelling: the 29 is operated by double-deckers, so you should all fit on!

Isn't that a bit contrived when the 291 goes direct from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead and is equally run with double decker buses (for the most part)? £5.60 single from Tunbridge Wells - runs hourly in less than an hour.
On Sundays the last no. 291 bus leaves Tunbridge Wells Town Centre at 1644.

Status
Not open for further replies.