• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Evesham - via WOK/BSK/RDG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
I wonder if any of you can help here...

I have a London to Evesham CDS for Friday, but it turns out I'm going to be working from Woking.

Is WAT-WOK-BSK-RDG-EVE (or even WAT-GLD-RDG-EVE) a valid routeing for this ticket? It is "Any Permitted".

I've had a look in the Routeing Guide (which I can't claim to fully understand), but it suggests that I can use London Group and Oxford, and the valid routeings include CS (which includes BSK-RDG and GLD-RDG) and WX (which includes WAT-WOK-BSK) - am I reading that correctly? If so, does anybody have any experience of how likely it is to be easily accepted by SWT's RPIs?

Final question on this - I have a Annual Gold Upgrade, the conditions of which state, rather ambiguously, that it "may" be accepted by CrossCountry, subject to operator's discretion. Any experience of this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, it is my interpretation that it is valid via Basingstoke using CS+WX.

As for what RPIs think, my advice is to take a copy of the NCoC/Routeing guide with you. Personally I would refuse to pay if anyone attempted to say it was not valid but the usual IANAL disclaimers apply.

glynn80

Established Member
This again under my interpretation is valid with a break of journey on your CDS so you can start at Woking.

I have had trouble with guards before with the routeing guide and generally on rather long routes away from the generally used one the only way they will accept it fully is with the copy of the NRCOC, a copy of the wording of the routeing guide and the maps involved. Even then they try to insist they are right, and with SWT's policy of Penalty Fare first appeal later you may have some issues. I wouldn't refuse to pay a penalty fare or refuse to give your name and address as these are railway byelaws so you would be breaking the law by doing so.

OwlMan

Established Member
..... with SWT's policy of Penalty Fare first appeal later you may have some issues. I wouldn't refuse to pay a penalty fare or refuse to give your name and address as these are railway byelaws so you would be breaking the law by doing so.

You can not be charged a penalty fare for being off route:

From The SRA guide:
• Ticket routing. A passenger who has a ticket for the journey they are making, but who is using a route on which their ticket is not valid, may not be charged a penalty fare. The National Rail Conditions of Carriage allow the passenger to pay an excess fare to travel on a different route from that shown on their ticket.

glynn80

Established Member

From The SRA guide:
• Ticket routing. A passenger who has a ticket for the journey they are making, but who is using a route on which their ticket is not valid, may not be charged a penalty fare. The National Rail Conditions of Carriage allow the passenger to pay an excess fare to travel on a different route from that shown on their ticket.

I was referring to the reports of SWT RPI's being informed to PF passengers if they have no valid ticket even if the ticket office is closed for example. This has been widely reported in the media. But I know I'd rather not recieve a PF in the first place than have to get one pay it and then appeal it.

stut

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, folks. I am yet undecided which way I'm going to go.

I've also just noticed that the Annual Gold Upgrade ticket specifically lists "London Paddington" (not "London Stations" like the CDS ticket), so this may cause further hassle - any experience there?

(Not that I've the slightest problem about sitting in Standard on an off-peak train for half an hour, but you know, I've paid for it and all...)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Those routes look valid to me.

From The SRA guide:

I think a thread has already discussed this to death.....

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think a thread has already discussed this to death.....
Indeed. And the result is... it depends on the RPI. Even 2 RPIs within the same company could not agree (the same topic was being discussed here and on moneysaving expert, where an RPI from the same company as our own RPI, said a completely different answer).

Without wishing to change topic back to PFs for being off route, the flaw with saying you can't be PF'd for being off route is that an RPI simply has to say that you are "overdistance" instead of "off route" and I can't find any clarification of when exactly "off route" becomes "overdistance", and it all appears to be subjective and clear as mud :|

Chris B

Re using the GoldCard - I guess to upgrade to 1st class?

Try it - go & sit in 1st class, show your GCard & ask for the upgrade. If XC accept, you'll get sold an upgrade for £5 to cover both out & back of your CDR. If they don't, they'll ask you to move. No harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.