• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Gatwick 1st July

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some wise words from the forum on a trip I need to make from London to Gatwick Airport mid-afternoon on Friday 1st July.

It has been a few years since I've made that journey and I would ideally like to travel on something new so I need to bring myself up to date with what to expect. I can travel from pretty much any central London station - Victoria, Blackfriars, London Bridge etc.

Looking at the options, I would like to plan/avoid the following:

~ Southern 377 - avoid if possible, although I haven't yet been on a 377/6 which might therefore be good.
~ Thameslink - would like to see the 387 in action, but have been on too many 319s so avoid them if possible (do they still even run to Gatwick?)
~ GatEx 387 - would be nice, although I assume I need to pay extra. I recall a few threads a while back that said a Southern ticket was OK though.
~ 442 - would be a nice nostalgia trip. But as above, are these GatEx or not, and how many are actually running nowadays?

As I say, all suggestions welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
377/6s and /7s you will see on many metro services out of Victoria or London bridge.

Thameslink 387s are on 50% of Brighton/Three Bridges to London Bridge and Bedford at least.
You might even catch a 700!

Gatwick Express 387/2 are more and more frequently seen instead of 442s. Not sure about ticketing.

A guaranteed 442 is the late afternoon London Bridge to Eastbourne service (a non gatwicks express service).

Last edited:

Tunnel Bore

Thameslink use a wild mixture of 377/2, 387/1 and even 387/2 with 319 still occasionally used on services via Gatwick.

GatEx, as remarked above, using more 378/2 each week and pattern keeps changing. At present 06:35 and 07:35 ex GTW are established 378/2 diagrams as is 18:26 ex VIC. These are my regular commutes.

Main thing to expect is chaos and meltdown on GatEx. Mostly like outcome is that the train you aim for is cancelled as was the previous one, the next will be short-formed and leaving late. You an picture how pleasant that will be. Enjoy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are, in order of increasing expense Thameslink-only, Not-Gat-Ex and Any-Permitted (i.e. including Gat Ex) tickets. You can also use contactless and Oyster. Touching in at GTW and touching out at platform 13/14 at VIC will trigger the Gat Ex fares. Not sure what happens when Gat Ex goes to/from the "wrong" platforms at VIC, which is increasingly common. There are means to keep the cost down wit contactless but I think that means touching in and out at East Croydon.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Until such time as a separate gateline appears at platforms 5/6 at Gatwick Airport you will be charged normal contactless fares for travel from the 1-7, 8, 9-12 and 15-19 gatelines at Victoria. Only travelling from the platform 13/14 gatelines triggers the higher Gatwick Express fare.

Of note is the 2000 from Victoria on a weekday which is booked to depart from platform 17 (but is not yet a 387/2 service).

However, the current issues and delays mean that Southern trains are often found in platform 13 and 14 (with customers directed to enter / leave via the 9-12 gateline) and Gatwick Express services end up in platform 12, 15 or wherever there is space.

Last edited:
Thameslink use a wild mixture of 377/2, 387/1 and even 387/2 with 319 still occasionally used on services via Gatwick.

Thanks all. Looks like Blackfriars might be a good option for the variety Thameslink offers. Fingers crossed for no 319s (always enjoy them but frankly am looking for variety!).

Status
Not open for further replies.