• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Glasgow Non-Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
From Instagram, apologies for not being able to quote it in the normal way:
Screenshot_20210615-130643_Instagram.jpg

-Peter

Last edited:

d9009alycidon

Thanks for that, if my experiences of northbound WCML expresses are anything to go by, chances are that it will get stuck behind a local somewhere between Carstairs and Central! :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, if my experiences of northbound WCML expresses are anything to go by, chances are that it will get stuck behind a local somewhere between Carstairs and Central! :D
And this is exactly why the previous record could easily still stand. It's very unpredictable what will happen on the day.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

In theory, its path should allow for that, combined with some favourable regulation along the way. A quick inspection of RealTimeTrains suggests it doesn't have much in front of it (or crossing in front) on the approches to Glasgow.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Don't mean to be a downer but I've had a look at the path and, well, it looks "courageous"!

Presume this must be a Preston driver, or driver manager?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think things like this are kind of pointless unless they are actually going to run such a train in service in future.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Don't mean to be a downer but I've had a look at the path and, well, it looks "courageous"!

The last time this happened in 2006 there were two Preston drivers aboard but I believe that the same chap sat in the seat for the whole of the journey.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Great - A pointless stunt that should go down well with the general public!

( yes i am this grumpy)

PS any fule kno records are broken between York and Darlington

cle

Established Member
People are so negative on here.

It's the wrong way, the APT had a stop... this is progress. We should be encouraging more folks from London<>Glasgow to travel by train. It's also a good (very) initial buzz for the train vs HS2, which will see 20-25 mins off Glasgow times at Phase 1, with another 20-25 off at Phase 2.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's a chance for First/Trenitalia to get one over on the former Virgin Trains before GBR start dictating services.
Presumably it's the TOC, possibly with Alstom support, who are paying for this, rather than HMG?
It might be a branding event, now they have whole trains in the right colour..

brad465

Established Member
I think things like this are kind of pointless unless they are actually going to run such a train in service in future.
Some good publicity/attention never does any harm.
IIRC for a while there was a service from London Euston-Glasgow Central that only called at Preston en route (either for convenience of passengers wanting that station and/or crew change). I can't remember how many there were each day, only that it doesn't run anymore.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
IIRC for a while there was a service from London Euston-Glasgow Central that only called at Preston en route (either for convenience of passengers wanting that station and/or crew change). I can't remember how many there were each day, only that it doesn't run anymore.
Just the one a day, in recent times.
After electrification there were several which only stopped at Preston and Carlisle.
Stations in the NW (Warrington-Preston-Carlisle) mostly had separate services from London (Blackpool/Carlisle terminators).
Even Birmingham-Scotland was non-stop Crewe-Preston.
Manchester/Liverpool-Scotland were maybe 3 per day and picked up all the stops, as well as usually dividing at Preston and/or Carstairs.

Falcon1200

Established Member

There was, and great attention was paid to its running. One day it was unfortunately stopped outside Glasgow Central, and not only did the Signaller get it in the neck, but also the Signalling Centre Shift Manager for not instructing the Signaller to keep it running (which was a standing order anyway), and the NR Controller for not instructing the Shift Manager ! No doubt a very close eye will be kept on this run....

Ianno87

Veteran Member

1630 off Euston. Ran Dec 2008 to (IIRC) May 2014 or so.

The Planner

Veteran Member

No TSRs or conflicts then it should do it without much trouble. I have no doubt the word is out not to put anything in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.