• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Glasgow Non-Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, the PLM is limited to 160 km/h and French schedules include a standard recovery time of 3.5 min or 4.5 min per 100km (62 miles).
Are the three or four sections where TGVs were permitted 180 or 200km/h no more then?

Interesting point about the recovery time, that's much more generous than I think BR was normally (outside when major engineering works were scheduled).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
It could have done it if it wasn't for a couple of issues, seems it had to slow down at Stafford for OHLE & speed & at Carstairs[not sure what the speed limit is through Carstairs for expresses, seemed to have to go slower than normal line speed], plus it failed by only 21 seconds, it is possible to do, needs a clear run with no issues such as OHLE.

Wonder if it's better trying an overnight run, one time if there's no maintenance taking place?
Just to clarify, we lost no time through Stafford due to any ESR's. We went through at the posted limits. I compared the data alongside some service runs and there was no time lost.
I have been through Stafford ever so slightly quicker - on a service train that was running slightly over the posted limit by 1-2mph in places.

Are the three or four sections where TGVs were permitted 180 or 200km/h no more then?

Interesting point about the recovery time, that's much more generous than I think BR was normally (outside when major engineering works were scheduled).
No 200km/h sections exist between Paris and Lyon. There are four sections of 180 to 200km/h between Valance and Marseille.

The geography also helped the new LGV route, as Paris-Lyon is 75km shorter than the old PLM route via Dijon.
HS2 will not be significantly shorter to any destination than today's lines.
Geography didn't help. It was the decision to use a high-power consist on a more direct route with steep gradients that would soar over the burgundy hills - taking advantage of of the trains kinetic energy on the downgrades like a roller coaster.

Last edited:

timmydunn

The APT probably played a large part in this failure. If it hadn't been for Tim Dunn and his model APT those few fewer grams would have got it there within the time.

It's also been suggested that if we hadn't all been tweeting and videoing so frantically throughout with our tech plugged in - perhaps there'd have been more power left for the train and we'd have beat the record.

Railperf

Established Member
It's also been suggested that if we hadn't all been tweeting and videoing so frantically throughout with our tech plugged in - perhaps there'd have been more power left for the train and we'd have beat the record.
No wonder the train wouldn't do 130mph!! Lol

Railperf

Established Member
LATE BREAKING NEWS;

Further analysis of the recorded GPS data has revealed that we ran at through the 50mph TSR at Carstairs for an EXTENDED distance of 1.66 miles where the TSR was originally reported as being less than a mile from 73 09 to 74 00.

Can anyone shed some light into why this is the case?

Was the TSR length extended prior to the run or on the day?
If the schedule had been planned for the TSR for less than a mile, this extended period of 50mph running for an additional 2/3 of a mile at 50mph certainly cost more than 21 seconds!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
LATE BREAKING NEWS;

Further analysis of the recorded GPS data has revealed that we ran at through the 50mph TSR at Carstairs for an EXTENDED distance of 1.66 miles where the TSR was originally reported as being less than a mile from 73 09 to 74 00.

If the schedule had been planned for the TSR for less than a mile, this extended period of 50mph running for an additional 2/3 of a mile at 50mph certainly cost more than 21 seconds!
Most unfortunate, I know 90 secs has been toted about as the cost of the 50 TSR - does the extended 50mph running equate to a 90 second delay against the schedule or worse? Would be interesting to compare.

The Planner

Veteran Member
LATE BREAKING NEWS;

Was the TSR accounted for at all though? I don't recall any allowances in the schedule though granted I was looking on RTT where {} doesn't show. You would normally show it as box time.

Senex

Established Member
Geography didn't help. It was the decision to use a high-power consist on a more direct route with steep gradients that would soar over the burgundy hills - taking advantage of of the trains kinetic energy on the downgrades like a roller coaster.
It's worth emphasising this point. The spur to action was the need for more capacity on the PLM main line and the French had the debate over how this was to be done, the question being whether to get it by quadrupling the existing route over Blaisy Bas or whether to take advantage of the technology by then available and get the capacity by building a completely new line, taking advantage of modern electric traction to use gradients impossible for the mid-C19 engineers to allow the much shorter direct alignment without having to go in for mad amounts of tunnelling and viaduct. They chose the modern technology solution, and the outcome is history.

nw1

Established Member
I guess the 'ideal' solution would be to have 1x fast and 1x semi-fast Euston-Glasgow each hour. This is similar to what LNER offers from Edinburgh to Kings Cross.

The issue is where to find the paths...... If you assume the Birmingham-Scotland service continues in some form (even if it doesn't start at Euston), then you need to find 1x extra path north of Crewe to enable 2ph Euston-Glasgow.

Presumably the semi-fast wouldn't have to go all the way to Glasgow though.

I guess if the Glasgow went fast to Preston you could then have the second, slower train terminate at Preston (and maybe pick up some extra stops further south to improve connectivity). Warrington/Wigan to Glasgow could be covered by the Birmingham service. Then, if one in every two Glasgow trains called only at Lancaster and Carlisle north of Preston, you'd have a pretty fast service every two hours.

Aren't there some paths already? For example isn't there a peak hour xx57 path, or something like that?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There are xx33 and xx57 fast paths out of Euston in the peak, but until Norton Bridge was sorted they could not continue fast to Crewe.
These are the ones which stop in the Trent Valley (on the "slow" lines).
Because of the allocation of paths to Alliance/GC for Blackpool services, and lack of 390s, the capacity released by Norton Bridge is largely unused as yet.
Timings will have to be shuffled for the Hitachi 805/807 trains coming on stream next year, depending on their 110mph performance.

I don't think there's much point in re-optimising paths out of Euston before the HS2 Phase 2a timetable is defined, as those services will inevitably take priority north of Crewe (and replace the existing Euston trains).

Peter0124

Established Member
Well, looks like September won't be returning to normal if RTT is anything to go by:
Looks like the Avanti TT is almost the exact same 6tph timetable out of Euston that we have currently. Most of the Glasgow fasts revert back to xx:30 though by the looks of it and there are more departures to Chester.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Well, looks like September won't be returning to normal if RTT is anything to go by:
Looks like the Avanti TT is almost the exact same 6tph timetable out of Euston that we have currently. Most of the Glasgow fasts revert back to xx:30 though by the looks of it and there are more departures to Chester.
Presumably the Crewe stop being dropped, any news on the 9S/9MXX’s running to Glasgow?

Peter0124

Established Member
Presumably the Crewe stop being dropped, any news on the 9S/9MXX’s running to Glasgow?
Looks like they're being cut short to Blackpool again, not only that but it looks like the fast Blackpools are running too! Talk about a generous service for Blackpool North :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Looks like they're being cut short to Blackpool again, not only that but it looks like the fast Blackpools are running too! Talk about a generous service for Blackpool North :D
When I look at RTT I see a Blackpool and a Glasgow via Birmingham departing at the same time, and with identical times to Preston. They aren't running splitting Voyagers to Preston to cover both services with a single path to Preston?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
When I look at RTT I see a Blackpool and a Glasgow via Birmingham departing at the same time, and with identical times to Preston. They aren't running splitting Voyagers to Preston to cover both services with a single path to Preston?

No, that would be shown as one train from (Say) Euston to Glasgow with a seperate train from Preston to Blackpool. Regardless, there wouldn't be enough Voyagers to cover such an operation!

Simply looks like both variations are planned (Euston-Scotland, Euston-Blackpool) so that either can be implemented in the final timetable depending on how passenger numbers return.

zwk500

Veteran Member
No, that would be shown as one train from (Say) Euston to Glasgow with a seperate train from Preston to Blackpool. Regardless, there wouldn't be enough Voyagers to cover such an operation!
Because of a quirk of Avanti's reservation system, splitting voyagers are shown as a duplicate path where the portions run in multiple. There is (or at least used to be) a shadow 1Zxx Euston-Chester on top of the 1Dxx Euston-Holyhead, for example.
Simply looks like both variations are planned (Euston-Scotland, Euston-Blackpool) so that either can be implemented in the final timetable depending on how passenger numbers return.
Agreed, or somebody's forgotten to cancel out one of them.

Taunton

Established Member
Especially as it’s hourly. I think people have short memories with frequency on the full length of the WCML.
Actually, long ago it was much the same. At electrification in 1974 the base Glasgow-Euston service was every 2 hours. But these were supplemented by scheduled "reliefs" operating on various busy days, especially Friday/Saturday in summer/Christmas, just 10 minutes or so later. You'll find this detail in 1970s timetables. And separate services were provided for the stations between Crewe and Carlisle. So the same overall service as now, in fact more, as each provided more standard class seating than you get in a 9-car Pendolino, and more in tune with the daily demand. And the best services were still taking just 5 hours.

Peter0124

Established Member
In the opposite direction though only the Blackpool-Bham-Euston service appears to be running.

snowball

Established Member
The record run is discussed by Roger Ford on pp. 30-31 of the August Modern Railways.

Railperf

Established Member
The record run is discussed by Roger Ford on pp. 30-31 of the August Modern Railways.
Difficult to report on a run watching it on RTT, but there we go! It's an amazing feat to have clocked up that sort of time without exceeding 125mph and running within the normal passenger train speed limits - and at the same time slightly gutting - knowing that the APT time could have been beaten with one or two operational tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.