London to Koln on two tickets, with a French strike

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by BahrainLad, 27 Nov 2019.

1. BahrainLad

BahrainLad Member

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can advise. We are booked London Brussels on the 1104 departure on Friday 6th December, which is when the French will be having a general strike. The plan was then to connect to the 1425 ICE to Koln (actually then on to Dusseldorf). We are on separate tickets.

According to Eurostar they still plan on running our train, but I'm thinking about what happens if - for whatever reason - there is a strike-related delay and we miss the connection (there's 20 minutes and hopefully as the Eurostar continues to Amsterdam it will be a cross platform change at BXL or at least something close to it)

According to Railteam's website we can avail ourselves of the HOTNAT rule but it would be good to know how this works in practice? I have seen online that we could find the train manager for a form, or get a stamp from somewhere (not sure how that works with iPhone tickets :) )? Or should we just head for a ticket office once we have arrived at BXL and have definitely missed the train?

The only other thing - our E* tickets are actually London-Amsterdam, as they were the only ones available on the 1104 when we originally booked the trip.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. island

island Established Member

The train chef can give you an endorsement on your ticket to confirm you can use the next train. I would suggest picking up traditional paper tickets for the Eurostar to allow for this.

I don’t know if that will still hold valid though as you don’t have connecting tickets – I’ve always found Eurostar to be extremely helpful in cases of disruption, but how Deutsche Bahn will treat it I cannot say.

4. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

DB are fine dealing with disruption, I doubt they'd bat an eyelid. I did Bensheim-Brussels last month on a Sparpreis (fixed train) and changed the reservation to an earlier service due to engineering works. No quibble whatsoever

5. BahrainLad

BahrainLad Member

Thanks, from a deeper dive into Seat61 it seems getting the stamp from the Chef du Train on Eurostar is the best idea - and thanks for the tip to print tickets, we’ll definitely do that.

6. BahrainLad

BahrainLad Member

Incidentally, the Railteam website would be a hell of a lot more useful if it actually had some detail about the HOTNAT offer rather than just marketing guff. A guide as to what to do when you want to use it would be a start.

7. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

Surely the chef would be busy preparing meals, not faffing around with tickets. :lol:

8. flash

flash Member

Well your tickets are to Amsterdam.... so why should they worry about a connection at Brussels?

9. 30907

30907 Established Member

Explaining that you booked when DB weren't able to offer Sparpreis London and ES weren't offering London-Brussels will probably work. (I am guessing that's the reason for splitting?)

10. BahrainLad

BahrainLad Member

Yes, basically.

11. Spoorslag '70

Spoorslag '70 Member

You will quite likely be all right when asking the Eurostar staff for confirmation and briefly explaining the situation to the host or train manager (depending on who checks you) and briefly explain your situation.

As you would have some time to spare in Brussel Zuid, you might also drop down to the international ticket office (IIRC it's near the "international" (1-5 or so) platforms in the central tunnel) and see what they can do for you.

Worst case would be them pointing out that there are no official rights (in the sense of the EU legislation) on split tickets (the Germans deny them at least on domestic journies) but most staff on the ground is very reasonable.

12. 30907

30907 Established Member

BTW it should be a cross-platform connection, with the ICE at the North end of the platform - based on a couple of months ago, it was P4 to P3.

13. Spoorslag '70

Spoorslag '70 Member

14. BahrainLad

BahrainLad Member

Thanks - I've been keeping an eye on that page - it seems to be changing quite a bit though, as for example the trains that are cancelled on 7/12 only appeared on that site overnight last night.

15. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

Surely CIV rights exist on international connections, with tickets marked CIV, providing you have a recognised schedule, whether or not it's one through ticket or a series of them (especially since the latter is often necessary these days, unlike the integrated through tickets of years gone by)? I'm not sure of the "split ticket" relevance here, since so many international journeys can now only be done on "split tickets".

16. paddington

paddington Member

Does Eurostar officially permit stopping short - especially when doing so to get a cheaper fare? I know nobody will care in practice.

17. island

They do, but the journeys have to connect end on end.

18. urpert

urpert Member

Zone 5 or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
    Agreed - I’ve found the international ticket office staff at Midi incredibly helpful in case of disruption before.

19. island

Officially they allow it in the UK but not anywhere else.

As you say, in practice nobody will care.