• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Kyle of Lochalsh leisure trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

This is my plan but it can be varied and I am 0pen to suggestions and "can't do that" feedback

Either a London to Inverness or Edinburgh with either a standard offpeak return
or a pair of Advance 1st class tickets to and from Inverness or Edinburgh (probably Edinburgh)
AND
to finish a club55 premier to Kyle

A club 55 condition of no break of journey except for connection purposes is an issue but as I will arrive too late to get a train to Kyle I thought I could/might spend the night of the first day in Inverness and continue my journey Kyle the second day? :?::?:

I also considered a sleeper up but had problems with the Scotrail's Advance members offer of a £99 return for two on any route not being available for me. (Even if I paid the £99 they would not let me board if the second person was not with me as the ticket would not be valid as it is for two people - but that is another point).

Travelling out on either 9th 10th 11th or 12th March but wanting to come back on Saturday 17th (unless I get the Sunday night sleeper back instead)

So many choices and permutations for a leisure traveller with a bit of time on their hands:)

So comments, suggestions on splits are welcome as my head is getting muddled

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pkkelly

I also considered a sleeper up but had problems with the Scotrail's Advance members offer of a £99 return for two on any route not being available for me. (Even if I paid the £99 they would not let me board if the second person was not with me as the ticket would not be valid as it is for two people - but that is another point).

It does not say in the T&Cs - http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/advance/2-99-caledonian-sleeper -that both people need to travel.

wintonian

Established Member
Strange Avantix comes up with a £19.00 S55 CLUB55 STANDARD restriction TI, Inverness to Kyle.

I assume the routes Club 55 is available on varies with each promotion.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Strange Avantix comes up with a £19.00 S55 CLUB55 STANDARD restriction TI, Inverness to Kyle.

I assume the routes Club 55 is available on varies with each promotion.

Is the problem not just that there's no First Class seats from INV - KYL?

wintonian

Established Member
Ah ok I didn't relise that 'Club 55 Premier' referd to the first class veriety, not being eligable for Club 55 for sometime yet I don't tend to pay much attention to it

cjp

It does not say in the T&Cs - http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/advance/2-99-caledonian-sleeper -that both people need to travel.

I know that is what i thought.

Scotrail have emailed me this today
"I am sorry that you have cause to complain about the terms and conditions of our recent Advance Members loyalty promotion that allows for two people to travel on the Caledonian Sleeper service for £99. I have raised your concerns with our marketing department who have advised that to allow for many Advance Members to take advantage of the promotions, the promotions have to vary."

Which was a prompt response from them but makes me feel no better and I would not have liked to turn quoting the TOC up only to refused boarding :cry:

Anyway any further thoughts on my ticketing ideas?
In particular the overnight in Inverness?
(and there is no first class beyond Inverness);)

cjp

The Kyle trains do, however, have first class seats in one end ( they're 158s ). They're just declassified north of Inverness.

Interesting.:o

I think my travel will be via Glasgow with Virgin up the West coast as I have not been that way for years and it saves a few pennies.

I just need to check tomorrow at Paddington that they can accommodate a bicycle in their trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.