• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LONDON to LEIPZIG by TRAIN Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyal

Hello, i would like to travel to Leipzig from Central London by train but am slightly daunted by the prices i have found and what seem to be very limited options - i'm sure there are other possibilities out there. Would like to arrive in Leipzig sometime on Friday 25th Sept and leave on the evening of the 26th or 27th. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me on this one, i usually drive to Germany but would love to start making this journey by train! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railjet

Hello, i would like to travel to Leipzig from Central London by train but am slightly daunted by the prices i have found and what seem to be very limited options - i'm sure there are other possibilities out there. Would like to arrive in Leipzig sometime on Friday 25th Sept and leave on the evening of the 26th or 27th. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me on this one, i usually drive to Germany but would love to start making this journey by train! :)

What kind of prices would you consider to be acceptable? Minimum fares on this route are €98 return, but they need to be booked well in advance and are not available for your dates, unfortunately.

loyal

thanks for the replies! regards price, well just the diesal alone on a trip like this would cost me around £200 and i then need a hotel after the 12 drive so i think anything would be an improvement - although saying that i'd love to keep it down to a minimum, however i don't think i could face a six person couchette!

will1337

Deutsche Bahn have started doing €50 each way tickets from Germany or vice versa if you book through their website. I'm not sure if they are available from Leipzig but they certainly are from the big cities.

Railjet

The problem is if you leave Friday am from London, you hit Germany in the late afternoon/evening, and this is the busiest time of week for train travel so special fares are not available or have already dried up.

Could you leave London on Thursday afternoon? There is a 14:34 departure from StP (but you would have to overnight in Cologne): fares are currently €79 2nd class, €99 1st class.

Coming back, currently there are the following possibilities:
Saturday 26th dep Leipzig 14:11, arr London Sun 27th am: fare €49 2nd class, €99 1st class.
Sunday 27th: same time, 1st class only available €99.
In both these cases you would have to overnight in Brussels. However, there is a choice of Eurostar departures from Brussels in the morning, and if you are travelling 1st, you will get a nice breakfast :).

(All fares bookable on-line on the DB website).

loyal

..for the reply Railjet - i could leave on the Thursday afternoon but what do you mean exactly by 'overnight it', is this a euphimism for park bench? Also, was wondering if you have any idea about the seat size/accomodation difference between 1st and 2nd class on this route and generally what is offered?? I'm pretty excited about the possibility of pulling this off - do you know if DB operate an English speaking info/booking line? Very grateful for all your help on this :D

Railjet

By overnight I mean you would arrive late evening and leave in the morning, so you would have to find somewhere to sleep (hotel, hostel or park bench :)) depending on your financial resources.

The DB booking engine is in English and is fairly easy to use. However, sometimes you have to play around with the connections to find the cheaper fares. If you need any specific help, just ask.

Your travel in Germany would be mainly on ICE trains which is 2-2 across seating in 2nd class and 2-1 across in 1st class. In 1st class, apart from the extra and less crowded space, you don't get much more (a German newspaper sometimes and at-seat food and drink service by the conductor, but you have to pay for it). Personally, I think it is worth it for long journeys, especially at weekends when many trains are very busy. You can also use the DB lounge at Leipzig (and at connecting stations eg Frankfurt and Cologne).

Of course, a 1st class ticket also gets you Leisure Select on Eurostar, which is also 2-1 seating, and catering is included.

The prices I quoted include the reservations on Eurostar, but not on German trains when not compulsory. (You can pay extra for them if you want them).

Edit to update: I guess that leaving Leipzig on Saturday morning on the return would be too early for you. Then you can do the journey in one day:
Leipzig dep 09:11, London StP arr 19:22. Fares: €49 2nd, €99 1st.

Last edited:

j0hn0

I recently booked from Düsseldorf to Rugby about 2.5 months in advance.

Regio to Köln, ICE to Brussels, Eurostar to London, Pendo to Rugby.

all for €125 which is loads cheaper than any other option.

It was booked through a special on db website, excellent value really and travel all the way on a selection of the continents best trains, sweet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.