• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Norwich - 90 min timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Your max rating for the 91 isn’t right, it’s also just under 8k hp.

The acceleration is largely down to gearing which in turn reduces TE at low speed. A 91 will continue to accelerate hard well after a 90 has passed its peak.

4.54MW continuous
4.7MW maximum

From a BR technical document and just about every publication that quotes such information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
Thank you for mentioning that, whilst the offset was correct it was setup with the incorrect berth step. This will be corrected very soon. Trowse Lakenham Junction is an official timing point, it is mandatory in the up direction for trains travelling over the down line from Trowse Junction and returning to the up line at Lakenham Junction.

Trowse Junction (diverge for Ely) is the timing point, Lakenham Junction (Crossover) has no reports :)

LAX54

Established Member
It's a shame that the maximum speed of the line was not raised to 110mph. At least then, you would have a chance to make up some extra time - especially North of Ipswich. I recall the Class 86 farewell rail tour which ended with a glorious run of just over 82 mins Norwich to London, with speeds over 100mph being the norm for most of the current 100mph sections , 112mph through Diss, 114mph before Stowmarket, 110 through Brantham before 73 at Manningtree, 111 through Kelvedon, 107 at Witham, later reducing speed through and after Chelmsford, but still 95mph before Ingatestone and 99mph between Brentwood and Harold Wood...after that signals started to intervene, and then run-in from Gidea Park was closer to 'normal. And that was an '86' with load 10.

Well, that must have scared the users at the AHB's that are timed for 100mph ! They must have been barely 'down' before the train passed !

But of course do we actually need Nin90 ?

louis97

Established Member
Trowse Junction (diverge for Ely) is the timing point, Lakenham Junction (Crossover) has no reports :)
Plenty of reports at Lakenham Junction on RTT, note the correction as previously mentioned is still to be applied.

Established Member
There are numerous locations in RTT that are not 'official' timing points. Those that the industry uses are defined in Network Rail's timetable planning rules.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well, that must have scared the users at the AHB's that are timed for 100mph ! They must have been barely 'down' before the train passed !

Beating the barriers on the East Suffolk was all the rage back in the day. How times have changed.

eastdyke

Established Member
No confusion when the Box had a sign on it 'Trowse Lower Junction'
Diagram from 1966 courtesey The Signal Box:
https://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=507
Great picture of the old Trowse Bridge from the same site:
https://signalbox.org/gallery/e/trowseswingbridge.php
:o:o
The travelling public? Pretty much not, especially all those along the route who thought that they were going to get faster trains too. Norwich Estate Agents and Developers on the other hand ...

chubs

I've already seen Norwich in 90 on a current estate agent listing for a flat in the city centre!

Pretty outrageous as it isn't even going to happen for another couple of months, and it's only 2 trains a day.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

That’s the thing that scares me about those runs. The difference would only have been a couple of seconds, but had there been an incident with the crossing the person authorising the train to run at a speed higher than the limitbwould hasve been in serious trouble had they not planned for it. Same issue for every footpath crossing and sighting times. I assume that there was someone in orange on each one.

dk1

Veteran Member
I've already seen Norwich in 90 on a current estate agent listing for a flat in the city centre!

Pretty outrageous as it isn't even going to happen for another couple of months, and it's only 2 trains a day.
As long as it happens then it's all good. Hopefully will boost my property price in Brundall. Waitrose also planning to open down the road too so that's another 3% :p

Railperf

Established Member
As long as it happens then it's all good. Hopefully will boost my property price in Brundall. Waitrose also planning to open down the road too so that's another 3% :p
Prices will go down when the 37's leave :lol:

HLE

Established Member

Brundall, yer posh bugger :D

Great pub next to the station. Nearly flattened a chicken once parking up there.

dk1

Veteran Member
Brundall, yer posh bugger :D

Always visit the pub next to the railway station when I'm in norfolk. Nearly flattened a chicken once parking up there.
They certainly have nine lives. Not sure how they are fairing with all the construction work & the fact the pub car park was shared for many weeks with rail users.

eastdyke

Established Member
They certainly have nine lives. Not sure how they are fairing with all the construction work & the fact the pub car park was shared for many weeks with rail users.
Brundall? Lived there for about 12 weeks in 1971. Houseboat in Bell's Boatyard, Moonrakers (Colin Chapman) were just statiung up. Great place :) Lots of ducks though :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
90001 'Tin Rocket' all decked out with red buffer beam & silver buffers ready for tomorrow's 09:00 up launch train.

cambsy

On Moderation
dk1, I’m on the 11.00am Liverpool Street-Norwich and 17.00pm Norwich-Liverpool street tomorrow{20th May}, are you driving either of these? Do you think we will do it either way in 90 mins?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yep!! Sleepless night ahead for a few at the top :lol:

Well I wish them the best of luck in getting a nice clear run without a hitch. Are they doing anything special to help it keep time or is it just a case of if it's late - it's late, it doesn't matter?

cambsy

On Moderation
I’m going to be interested to see how how my 11am and 5pm Norwich in 90 mins trains perform, the main problem I see for the 11am, is the 10.30am Liverpool Street-Norwich 1P20, which needs be punctual or with only 3 mins arrival ahead, will delay us, unless it held at Ipswich or looped if there are any loops between Ipswich and Norwich, sure there could be other conflicts too but I’ve not looked at them, the 5pm back to London might be easier as at least it 4 track into London, should be interesting though, might be few top brass on it too.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well I wish them the best of luck in getting a nice clear run without a hitch. Are they doing anything special to help it keep time or is it just a case of if it's late - it's late, it doesn't matter?
Oh with so much regional attention it will be at all cost & cost no object. Let's hope no jinx falls on the day as lots of preparation has gone in to ensuring all goes well from all those involved at GA & NR. Then again, the best made plans...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Oh with so much regional attention it will be at all cost & cost no object. Let's hope no jinx falls on the day as lots of preparation has gone in to ensuring all goes well from all those involved at GA & NR. Then again, the best made plans...

So they will be trying more than usual to meet the booking.

Is this a shorter set as well, to improve acceleration?

dk1

Veteran Member
So they will be trying more than usual to meet the booking.

Is this a shorter set as well, to improve acceleration?
Meet the booking? Was supposed to be a load 8 but not entirely sure whether the buffet is staying in the set. There are catering staff booked to work the 90min trains initially.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Meet the booking?

Scheduled journey time.

Was supposed to be a load 8 but not entirely sure whether the buffet is staying in the set. There are catering staff booked to work the 90min trains initially.

Thanks, I thought they'd maybe reduce the length to less than 8 to improve on acceleration, but then they did timing trials with the 90s some weeks back.

dk1

Veteran Member
Scheduled journey time.

Thanks, I thought they'd maybe reduce the length to less than 8 to improve on acceleration, but then they did timing trials with the 90s some weeks back.
I don't think it makes that much difference to be honest but they seem to.

Status
Not open for further replies.