• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Oxford, starting short by an odd route

Status
Not open for further replies.

iron oxide

Hello,

I have an unused return portion of an Off Peak Return Oxford -> London, route Any Permitted. I think - but I wanted to check - there's no reason why I couldn't use this to travel from High Wycombe to Oxford tomorrow afternoon.

Permitted routes between London and Oxford include those by map CS, which appears (I think!) to allow travel Marylebone - Banbury - Oxford. If I understand the rules correctly, I'd be allowed to start short (i.e. at High Wycombe). Is this right? (And can I expect any hassle if I try to use my ticket like this?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Correct! It's a reasonably obvious route anyway so don't foresee you'll have any issues :)

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I don't think that's allowed as you would be doubling back through Kings Sutton. For the benefit of broken booking engines there is also Easement 52:
NRG Easement 52 said:
Journeys from stations south of Kings Sutton may not go via Banbury to
London nor via Banbury and London to stations beyond London. This
prohibition applies in both directions.

route:oxford

Established Member
But you could go High Wycombe to Bicester North, walk to Bicester Village, do some Winterval shopping, then get the shuttle back to Oxford from Bicester Town.

Look out for roosting bats in the tunnel on the way.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Ah OK so it's just the easement that bans it then. In addition to the Bicester route you could also change in Kings Sutton. E.g.
dep High Wycombe 14:09 arr Kings Sutton 14:53
dep Kings Sutton 15:14 arr Oxford 15:39
seems to be possible on Sunday afternoon.

island

Veteran Member
But you could go High Wycombe to Bicester North, walk to Bicester Village, do some Winterval shopping, then get the shuttle back to Oxford from Bicester Town.

[OT]You need to get your handle changed to route:via oxford btw :)[/OT]

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd not be suprised for this to be questioned- it's not especially obvious and the fare to Banbury is considerably more. I agree that it does seem to be valid - at least the last time I looked into this routeing.

There is an easement explicitly forbidding this for some journies, can't remember the exact wording and whether it would be relevant here.

Status
Not open for further replies.