• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Stoke On Trent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonlaw91

Hi I live in London and go to university In Stoke-On Trent. I used to pay £8.00 for a single and usually about 15-16 for a return (this is from Euston). About 3 months ago, without any explanation, the price has gone from 8 to what seems to be a minimum of 29 pounds! Also, I always got a direct train and now the only trains showing involve changing somewhere in between. When I go on the website to book, the prices at the top say "Single £8-£106" yet when I click on that, it doesn't show the £8 fare. Even now, on londonmidland.com theyre offering half price fares and the top says £4-106 but I see no £4 fares. Bear in mind I am booking 2 weeks in advance. 4 months ago I could book 2 days in advance and get it for £8. I know that this is not simple inflation or a fare increase, because they surely can not get away with increasing a fare from 8 to 29. I found one for £16 but that was at 5am. As a student I can not pay 30 pounds every time I come home, especially after paying 8 pounds for the last 2 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure what date you are looking at, but I've looked at a couple of random dates in early May and found loads of cheap tickets (£2-4 singles). What dates are you looking for?

MKD

Well at least the current London Midland Sale on till 7/5 for travel to 31/5 should give you plenty of £4 fares for the next 5-6 weeks (thats without any extra 'card' pricing).
Are you searching ON London Midland's OWN site ? If not worth doing so to see if you get the same results. If necessary go into the "show other routes" and set as "valid on LM only" eg even for 2 days hence 24/4 Stoke-EUS has loads of £4-6 fares.
MKD

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Depending what side of Stoke you are East Midland sometimes come up with reasonable fares from Longton to St.Pancras (£20 for a non discounted First Class single over Easter) though it does involve changing at Derby and being stuck on a mobile kennel for the first leg.

jasonlaw91

When I choose 6th or 7th May at any time in the day and choose euston to stoke on trent, the cheapest that shows up is £29? Is it possible for different prices to show up on different computers? Ive tried loads of options such as London midland trains only and it becomes even more expensive. whats going on with this site.

MKD

Ah bank holiday weekend. Think there are NO trains for much of it just buses over segments of the route and hence lack of regular fare reductions. Check London Midland Engineering works - and for the future worth keeping an eye on the posters at the station (recall seeing them on Stoke station last Tuesday when I was there).

Maybe try going on Monday via Megabus train ticket from St Pancras up to Derby for £10-£15 and across from there ? (Likely to me more flexibility that route than via West Coast lines anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.