• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Torquay

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Looking at tickets to Torquay on Sat, returning Sunday.

On the FGW site.

There is more than one fare for Super Off Peak?

£89 and £95. They also sell an Off Peak for £110 which makes no sense at the weekend.

However the £89 fare has a lot of trains blanked out on the Sunday?

Advice please and also what is the little bed sign with the plus sign next to it mean?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are two routes - Any Permitted and via Honiton. Via Honiton is usually a bit (but not always) cheaper but means you have to travel from Waterloo to Exeter on South West Trains which is slower than the route from Paddington.

Note that there is engineering work on Sunday so FGW are running into Waterloo, which will probably be why some of the fares are blanked out.

You can get a first class upgrade on SWT at the weekends for £5 each way - no freebies but the seats are better.

Waterloo-Exeter via Honiton is in the Network Railcard area so look at splitting at Exeter if you have a Network Railcard or Annual Gold Card, as long as you're prepared to use this route.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the "Bed Plus" means the ticket can be used for a berth on the sleeper subject to an additional supplement

FenMan

Established Member
You can get a first class upgrade on SWT at the weekends for £5 each way - no freebies but the seats are better.

The SWT first class seats are wider certainly, but they are less supportive. The second class seats are probably the most comfortable on the network.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The SWT first class seats are wider certainly, but they are less supportive. The second class seats are probably the most comfortable on the network.

True, but they're 2+1 as well and arguably the ambiance is better. I've been on class 159's to Exeter that have been wedged in standard. Thankfully I paid the upgrade which was a far more pleasant experience.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Thanks all for your advice. The price was down to £50 odd via Waterloo but it takes so long I have decided to drive as I would have another hour at the London end both ways.

I can drive in 3hrs 45mins v 5h 39mins

Tank of petrol is £60 odd and I now have a passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.