• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Vienna

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
With friends in St Polten, Austria, I'm looking to find an alternative to the frankly ridiculous air fares from Manchester over the festive period (and for future trips if it works out well), and wondered how practical/costly it is to travel via train instead. I assume the route will be St Pancras > Brussels > Frankfurt > Vienna, and that if I got the first service to Brussels it would be doable in a day?

Could anybody confirm if my assumptions are correct, and where the best place to plan/book tickets would be? I'd be looking to go 28/29 December and come back 2/3 January.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
You will need to split-ticket somewhere in Germany, as a Sparpreis London wont get you further than Passau (or Salzburg, but that's slower).

You might be able to do the Austrian bit on an OeBB Sparschiene slightly cheaper, but I'd book both with DB to save arguments over delays and missed connections.

Travelling from Up North I would reckon to overnight in Brussels rather than London (unless I was staying privately of course), which tends to reduce the fare as well as break the journey up.

BTW the Frankfurt-Wien ICEs are about 25 minutes earlier into Wien in the new timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.