London to Wakefield advance next Sunday

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by johntea, 19 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johntea

johntea Member

I'm going to London next weekend, my railcard runs out on the 21st April and I'm an old git now so ticket prices are currently making me faint! :lol: (I don't have many friends travelling by rail at the same time as me either so the Two Together isn't really going to help sadly!)

Anyway I managed to find a fairly cheap advance for Thursday evening at £22.35 but coming back on the Sunday I'm looking at about £40 for the 19:00 - 21:00 services. Are there any little tricks I can use or am I basically going to have to suck up the cost? (The late train is no good for me as it goes straight to Leeds after Doncaster).

2. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

Have you tried looking at trains via Sheffield to see if it churns out any cheaper fares?

In peace

Adam

3. asharpe

asharpe Member

The 19:22 to Kirkgate is a little cheaper. Sunday evenings do tend to be fairly busy on that route.

4. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

I've searched online for through and split fares via Nottingham, via Derby, and via Sheffield.

There is very little saving to be made, as I was seeing £24 from London to splitting point, then fares of around £18 to Wakefield.

Apologies I cannot be of more help - perhaps somebody who has more knowledge than me of that route may be able to offer better suggestions, if any.

In peace

Adam

5. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have you tried trainsplit.com to see if that can come up with anything better? It also checks for split advances now as well.

6. johntea

johntea Member

Thanks for that site, it managed to find a split at Newark for the 20:35 for £33 which is an ideal service for me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.