• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London travelcards for 4 of us using my Gold Card discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

Hi, on Sunday 16th I and 3 other adults will be travelling round London for a Scouting challenge. I currently have my Gold Card discount on my Oyster card for my normal visits but won't use it for this as I need a receipt for my ticket and tickets for the 3 other adults.
Can I just buy 4 travelcards using my discount from a machine? If so is there a difference between a train station machine or an Underground station machine?
Not certain what zones we need as we will be parking on the outskirts then getting in by train/tube.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi, on Sunday 16th I and 3 other adults will be travelling round London for a Scouting challenge. I currently have my Gold Card discount on my Oyster card for my normal visits but won't use it for this as I need a receipt for my ticket and tickets for the 3 other adults.
Can I just buy 4 travelcards using my discount from a machine? If so is there a difference between a train station machine or an Underground station machine?
Not certain what zones we need as we will be parking on the outskirts then getting in by train/tube.

As long as you have your gold card or gold record card with you then yes, you can buy tickets for up to 4 adults. You should be able to buy them from Underground stations, but the TVMs (POMs for LU) will look completely different. Off-peak there are only two day travelcards available: 1-6 and 1-9.

Fiyero

As long as you have your gold card or gold record card with you then yes, you can buy tickets for up to 4 adults. You should be able to buy them from Underground stations, but the TVMs (POMs for LU) will look completely different. Off-peak there are only two day travelcards available: 1-6 and 1-9.

Thanks any benefit of one machine over the other if we have a choice?

TonyR

Just to add the other ticket holders need to travel with you at all times they are using their Gold Card discounted ticket.

Fiyero

I'll add to this thread rather than start another as it is a very similar thing. I am running a similar trip, starting from Morden Underground station. Can I buy tickets online for a mainline station in the same zone including travel card and pick it up from my home station so we have them before we get there. i.e. Is the travelcard valid if you don't make the first bit of the journey (starting at Morden instead of Wimbledon for example)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'll add to this thread rather than start another as it is a very similar thing. I am running a similar trip, starting from Morden Underground station. Can I buy tickets online for a mainline station in the same zone including travel card and pick it up from my home station so we have them before we get there. i.e. Is the travelcard valid if you don't make the first bit of the journey (starting at Morden instead of Wimbledon for example)

An in-boundary travelcard is valid anywhere within the zones covered. The starting station is purely a technical matter required by ticket issuing systems. It may sometimes have an effect on internal revenue distribution, but it has no bearing on validity at all.

John @ home

Established Member
Can I buy tickets online for a mainline station in the same zone including travel card and pick it up from my home station so we have them before we get there.
Where is your home station?

You can do this if your home station is a GB rail station which offers collection facilities for tickets bought online. You can not do this if your home station is a London Underground station not served by National Rail.

Last edited:

Fiyero

Where is your home station?

You can do this if your home station is a GB rail station which offers collection facilities for tickets bought online. You can not do this if your home station is a London Underground station not served by National Rail.

It is a South West Trains station, I have used the collection lot before (for journeys actually starting there) but this is 70 or so miles out from London - I'd collect them the day before.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That would be fine, the tickets would be issued as any other ticket. You could also buy them from the ticket office (if there is one) unless buying Railcard-discounted tickets for which you don't have the applicable Railcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.