• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London travelcards - only Z1-6 available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Just a quick query - last Friday and Saturday, I bought a travelcard from a TfL machine at a tube station in Zone 3. On the Saturday Friday, it was about 11am that I bought the ticket; on the Friday Saturday, about 9am.

On getting to the screen that allowed me to select the ticket, I noticed that although there was an option to select a Zones 1-4 travelcard, this was greyed out and I only had the option to buy a Zones 1-6. I was just wondering why this was - have TfL withdrawn the Zones 1-4 card, but for software reasons it's still on the machine just unavailable?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Zone 1-4 is only available as an Anytime Day Travelcard. As it is the same price as a Zone 1-6 Off-peak Day Travelcard it would not be appropriate to sell it at off peak times.

causton

Established Member
Zone 1-4 only exists as a separate ticket during peak time, so perhaps you should have seen it on the Friday at 9am (as peak is until 09:30)... but off-peak, on a paper ticket, there is only a Zone 1-6 these days for £12.00.

At peak time there is the 1-4 for £12.00 or 1-6 for £17.00.

(There are also others including zones 7-9, Grays, Watford Jn etc...)

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares.pdf

Romilly

Established Member
A Zones 1-4 day travelcard is only available as an Anytime product (at £12), so at offpeak times you get a better deal by paying the same £12 for an offpeak Zones 1-6 day travelcard. (As Causton says.)

Last edited:

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Ah that would explain it then. Seemed a bit weird to have the option on the screen but to have it unavailable. I didn't realise that it was the same cost. (I won't bemoan the ridiculously high prices of a paper travelcard here!)

Thinking about it, as the 'special fares' had been updated with LO's (then) forthcoming foray into Essex, the software reason I thought initially wouldn't be likely.

(I've updated my original post with the correct days - the Friday ticket was bought at around 11, the Saturday at around 9.)

Status
Not open for further replies.