• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Trip - advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i fancy a bit of a potter around that London to continue my travels with my oyster card and i wonder if anyone can recommend somewhere interesting to go.

Obviously i want to take some pictures of trains and/or undergrounds :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

General Zod

For trains activities : Willesden Junction, Kensington Olympia Acton Mainline, Stratford, Gospel Oak, or a station on the north end of the Bakerloo line for WCML traffic.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
For trains activities : Willesden Junction, Kensington Olympia Acton Mainline, Stratford, Gospel Oak, or a station on the north end of the Bakerloo line for WCML traffic.

cheers - been to Willesden the other week to try and catch a steam special, been to Stratford several times so might try some of the ones you suggest.

I am just after something interesting really!

Yew

Established Member
The science museum has the original Rocket steam train (or a replica wit some original parts) there are also loads of cool engineering things in there if that interests you and you feel like a break from trains. :)

General Zod

There is a Southern Service which runs through ( and picks up passengers) at Shepherds Bush London Overground. It continues to Milton Keynes but stops at Wembley Central so Oyster is valid. You get to go on some rare track and alongside depots and goods yards in the Willesden, Harlesden, Stonebridge Pk and Wembley areas. I always see some odd traction there !

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There is a Southern Service which runs through ( and picks up passengers) at Shepherds Bush London Overground. It continues to Milton Keynes but stops at Wembley Central so Oyster is valid. You get to go on some rare track and alongside depots and goods yards in the Willesden, Harlesden, Stonebridge Pk and Wembley areas. I always see some odd traction there !

The overground is suspended between Willesden and Clapham so i am not sure if it will run. I have been down that way a few times anyway.

Even with living down here for two years i still don't know London well. I always fear i will get off the train somewhere and find myself in a less than salubrious area!

General Zod

Even with living down here for two years i still don't know London well. I always fear i will get off the train somewhere and find myself in a less than salubrious area!

:D I was going to suggest a good photting spot outside Willeseden Junction station as you head down towards North Acton which is good for NLL/WLL freight. Or maybe something besides the canal close to Old Oak Common, however, you can easily bump into some unsavoury types in that area who may persuade you to part with your camera, wallet or other mobile device !

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Try this in October (if you haven't already been).

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-depot/events

Next to Acton Town station and the Underground depot so lots of Piccadilly/District trains passing close by.

If you go on the Saturday, I'll probably be in the doorway trying to get you to join the Museum Friends!

i am hoping to do that visit if i can

General Zod - i have a new camera and would quite like to keep that. It does look a bit rough down that way! The bravest i have been is the foot bridge over the WCML at Willesden

district

Not rail/LU at all but why don't you try the new cable car from North Greenwich or Royal Victoria?

rail-britain

Established Member
i fancy a bit of a potter around that London to continue my travels with my oyster card
When roughly is this trip?
Are there any specific days / times?

My next (non-business) trip to London is October, but it is not railway related
My next business trip is Olympics related, I am not looking forward to it

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Be careful using Oyster if you intend to spend much time on stations or travelling without touching out, you could end up going beyond the maximum journey time and getting penalised. A paper Travelcard could work out better (plus you wouldn't have to touch out if you took the aforementioned Southern service back to MK, for example)

Kentish Paul

Yes, the maximum Oyster journey time caught me out once.

Was attending PTS refresher in which the trackside bits were on the NR lines junction at Farringdon. Touched in at Leytonstone and alighted at Farringdon and remained in the station for the course. Returned to course HQ at Vauxhall by which time i'd been inside the system for about 5 hours(is the limit 2?) without touching out and a card devoid of credit. Only learnt about the maximum journey time at that point.

P.S. This was a while ago when Thameslink were still running to Moorgate.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@District - I went for the Airlink think but the ques were siply horrendous at both ends that i gave up. I kind of ended up in an aimless potter about the tube and DLR crossing off bits i needed!

@Lexyboy - i didn't get caught by that and tbh i didn't know it existed. Sometimes i think the paper travel cards work out better!

@GeneralZod - i might even have a look at those spots you suggested when i get a bit bolder!

@railbritian - it as today but thank to you guys i have some future trips marked out!

So rough itinerary today was:

Blethcley - Kenny O on the Southern, then Overground to West Brompton ( don't ask!) District Line to Wimbledon, tram link to East Croydon - Southern to London Bridge - Jubilee line to North Greenwich (failed Airlink sortie No.1!) Jubilee to Canning town (got confused by triple level station!) DLR to Royal Victoria ( failed Airlink sortie no.2!) DLR to Canning town - got on wrong train so DLR to West Ham - C2C to Fenchruch Street- walk to Tower Hill (eat ice cream marveling at Tower of London) Circle Line to Baker Street -Bakerloo Line to Queens Park then Stonebridge and finally Harrow and Wealdstone (who does the calling pattern n that line?) and the Southern train home! :)

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

You could always try Clapham Junction. I've seen so much action there and so many opportunities and as well as chances to explore the station it's well worth it.

bkhtele

I like a run on DLR around the docklands and past London city airport, and on to Greenwich for an explore? Also fun is the Thames Clipper - discount with travel card. Good to go up the Thames in a ferry.

Status
Not open for further replies.