• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Trip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 37 Fan

After a failed attempt at getting 37417 and 37406 due to the fact they were delayed by nearly 3 hours when getting into London and the OOC canal towpath being closed for the day. I managed to get a few pics.

Freightliner 66530 in bad weather, 66072 only 1 hour 30mins earlier in bright nice weather and a few passanger units.

See below...

http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net

However all was not lost as having bumped into some friendly people I have secured a greta opportunity for another trip soon, with a lot more classic traction :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
The 37 Fan said:
However all was not lost as having bumped into some friendly people I have secured a greta opportunity for another trip soon, with a lot more classic traction :)
Sounds interesting... There are a few good pics there - shame about the weather!

T

Tom

The 442s are not being refurbished.

Simply being refreshed.

jonb

Established Member
Why do you upload the same picture 2/3 times??? For example the FL 66 + 2401

T

Tom

2401 is a different picture, but it was taken 3 seconds between each other.

Coxster

Established Member
jonb said:
They're not the same - they are a few centimetres out if you look very carefullly ;)

jonb

Established Member
Coxster said:
They're not the same - they are a few centimetres out if you look very carefullly ;)

Hes done it in other collections i've noticed as well...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jonb said:
This is a valid point, if I see a gallery of say 10 photos all of which offer a variety of location/vantage point, and traction, I may choose to view all of them. But if I see say 65 photos that have little variety including near duplicates then it's a turn-off for me and I probably won't go beyond viewing the thumbnails.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
What I do, and what Sprog suggested to me, was to multi-shot a subject (eg. a moving HST) and choose the best of the 3 to display and delete the others.

I choose which one to display but then ask someone else what they think (like I did at Mill Hill, I asked TM for his advice ;)) before the deletion.

Multishot, try it, it's worth it :)
[EDIT]
joea1 said:
I stopped doing that when I saw that the pros didn't do it... What's to be gained by posting several of the same picture?

Indeed. Take this collection for example:
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/c915103.html

16 pics of the same subject with little variety in angles etc.

Someone please tell me the point?

The 37 Fan

Point 1, how many times do you see a 687 at Waterloo.

Point 2, is I like it that way.

Point 3, is several photos can help modelers of the same loco from different angles this already being known to myself as I have helped someone recently with the repaint of a Lima 67 into 67029 in EWS silver, also a Loadhaul 37 was modelled using my photos.

No Jon the photos of 66530 arent the same. they are infact different, ie ones a close up! God what do you really want these days. I like it my way, I help modellers out and above all. The one of the SWT refrub 44201 was actually two differnt pictures, but as passanger trains rarely feature on my gallery I thought it may be approirpate.

Considering Jon I am nice to you do do take the desire to have a pop at me all the time, please refrain yourself from that if you would.

At the end of the day quite simple, if you dont like my agllery dont view it. Couldnt care less its well known and gets good hits anyway.

Now Jon its NOT in other collections and I am not called "he" as well, in the FL Basford Hall one a duplicate would appear twice at most, bar the 3 FL 66 line up. And with 66522 at Rugby being my last FL shed thought it worthy.
I see an issue in your fotopic site as well if I have to take the attitude you have...

http://jon-bradley.fotopic.net/p31007306.html

That to me is pointless.

Conclusion we all have likes and dislikes, lets accpet them not get bitter.

On a better note thanks to those who liked my pictures.

Craig

Established Member
The 37 Fan said:
What's a 687?? I assume you still can't type type fast.

The 37 Fan said:
Point 3, is several photos can help modelers of the same loco from different angles
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p27728133.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p27728141.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p27728142.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p27728144.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p27728406.html

Is there need for 5 photos which are pretty much the same?

The 37 Fan said:
Maybe, but at least he didn't upload it 12 times :roll:

rmt

The 37 Fan said:

Point 3, is several photos can help modelers of the same loco from different angles this already being known to myself as I have helped someone recently with the repaint of a Lima 67 into 67029 in EWS silver, also a Loadhaul 37 was modelled using my photos.

No Jon the photos of 66530 arent the same. they are infact different, ie ones a close up! God what do you really want these days. I like it my way, I help modellers out and above all. The one of the SWT refrub 44201 was actually two differnt pictures, but as passanger trains rarely feature on my gallery I thought it may be approirpate.

Considering Jon I am nice to you do do take the desire to have a pop at me all the time, please refrain yourself from that if you would.

At the end of the day quite simple, if you dont like my agllery dont view it. Couldnt care less its well known and gets good hits anyway.

Now Jon its NOT in other collections and I am not called "he" as well, in the FL Basford Hall one a duplicate would appear twice at most, bar the 3 FL 66 line up. And with 66522 at Rugby being my last FL shed thought it worthy.
I see an issue in your fotopic site as well if I have to take the attitude you have...

http://jon-bradley.fotopic.net/p31007306.html

That to me is pointless.

Michael,

We've had this discussion over many websites in the past 12 months, and it all seems to have ended the same way.

We all take our shots in different ways, lots of my shots are at the same locations, but I'm trying different ways of shooting things at the moment. Jon, in my opinion, is an outstanding young photographer (a thought echoed by many of the photographers I speak to), and a lot of people can learn a lot from the way in which he takes his photos. (I actually think the photo you've highlighted, is an interesting take on the differences between 'luxury travel' such as the Blue Pullman, and the downtrodden council estates of East London).

We are all still learning how to improve our photos, and no single person is perfect (I'll admit that myself). If one persons interpretation of a shot is different from yours, don't slag it off, look at it, and attempt to understand it (some of the guys I use as an influence can be found Here, Here, Here and Here). I don't try copying their styles, I look at how the way they work, and how I can do similar things.

You do take some good photos Michael, but I do feel that there is a lot of repetition within your collections. All it needs is a little message saying that you have more photos from different angles if anyone wants to drop you a line to see them. I don't put every photo I take online, in fact, I put less than 10% of my photos online. I'm sure Jon and others do the same.

All the best.

Rob.

The 37 Fan

joea1 said:
To be fair he has a point. Do you do this to make your collections look like they have a lot of different locos? To be honest it gets on peoples nerves. Another thing, why do you keep changing the URL to your site? I've put it in the links section of my site but I can't be bothered to keep up anymore :roll:

Identical - 60099

http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p30332641.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p30332656.html

Identical - 66407

http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p30332577.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p30332644.html

Identical - DRS Locos through fence

http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p30332597.html
http://37517smodernlocopics.fotopic.net/p30332652.html

These are not the only examples either.

As I said dont like it dont view it, I am NOT ASKING YOU TO CHANGE YOURS so dont ask me to change mine as it wont happen.. Thanks Jon for your reply, thast no problem mate. At the end of the day as I said two of DRS 37606 isnt an issue and any duplicats appear FAR down at the bottom, I admitt it used to be a bigger issue but I now have it under what I see as control. Whats wrong with twice, TBH No duplicates are next to eachother and are at the bottom, besides its up to the VIEWER of they want to view a duplicate isnt it now. So it doesnt HAVE to annoy you afterall you chose to take a look at both.

While I admire most peoples comments I myself dont go picking other peoples sites apart, I guess I just differ in my view, hence I DONT like mine commented on. I havent had any complaints over it from anyone else and it will stay as it is. It is good to work from others styles but I tend to have my "own" style which is different to some others.

I didnt say Jon wanst a good photographer, he is, we are of a similar level he is good, and keeps getting things I need for photos lol. However the window photo didnt really give me that "feel" if you like.

Thanks for your points Rob and eveyrone.

Rob I do admire your photos, well done indeed mate, and I do take notes of your comments but for now I will leave it as it is, but be aware I have taken note.

With regards to the URL changes its for a few reasons, ajminkly to personalise it more. I can however state it WONT be changing again this year or after that as for now. So it may annoy you joea1 but TBH fare be we all have our own views but if you really dont like it jsut tell me in private inseatd of on board.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
The 37 Fan said:
What the hell's a 687?? :lol:
If you meant a 67 well then not very often but then again just go to KGX and you'll see one there every day!

Maybe, but to me too many of those photos look the same, with as I said little variety in angles. Therefore = boring. :)

Speaking as a modeller myself, all I'd need is one single side shot of it and *maybe* a shot of the front cab detail. 67s are all the same apart from having 3 different paintjobs (EWS, Royal Plum, Silver), so masses of photos are not needed! Now say if you were modelling a specific class 47 within a specific time period then the differences are endless so then a ton of pics *may* be justified.
Or of course they could just ask me for my drawing of 67029..
67lol0ph.png

Hehehehehehe...

To you it may be, but from what I can see it is a worthwhile addition because it shows the contrast between the luxury of the Pullman against the suburbs of the East End. Just because it doesn't feature a 37 doesn't mean its "pointless".

I admit in the past I have taken too many "reference" pics but going by yesterday's group of pics I have started taking less pics than usual. Concentrating my photos on special, unusual workings with the odd unit thrown in. Of course I've removed alot of those "reference" style pics from my fotopic in order to bring the quality of photos up and not having several hundred pictures of desiros or like yourself the same loco..

Question: Do you really have to rant every time someone questions something about your photos or something you've posted? I notice you do this on WNXX alot.. seems to me to be a bit "pointless" don't you think?

OK! I'm going to bed now as it is tired and I am late :)

rmt

Forgot to mention last night, (mixture of alcohol and other things) Michael, all I do when you put new photos up, is look at the main page of your new collection. If I see that there is repetition within the photos, then I click the big x in the top corner, as I'll be damned if I attempt to spend time fighting through the "same" shots of locos.

That is all

Rob.

The 37 Fan

Fare enough but their are thumb nailes, you dont HAVE to see any duplicate and you can by all means look and whatever you want without closing the box. So the chances are you do have a look through but dont click on any near repitions of photos. Fare enough, but yet again I *coukd* not that I would say I think your photo site is rather complicated and too fiddley to access pass collections so I dont bother. As this type of thing works two ways, if you used fotopic , ok may not be as fancy but is easier to manover through dont you think?

As I said I am happy with the layout and thats how its staying, 50149 you may think their boring, myself and others dont so your point is? We all have differeing opinions and in the past have already remoulded my site (ie new background) to suit to everyones needs. Enough is now enough I think. No more "suggesting" ways to change my site as much as I admire your advice I am happy doing what I do and how I do it and I DONT pay fotopic permium for people to boss me aroound on it, for the price I pay it stays as it is. End Of.

Once again thanks for everyones views etc, as I said before taken note BUT if I were you please dont reply to this with more advice on it, I pay £50.00 for ofotpic permium and quota I have it how it is and my site has changed enough and it wont be changing anymore.
[EDIT]
Fare enough but their are thumb nailes, you dont HAVE to see any duplicate and you can by all means look and whatever you want without closing the box. So the chances are you do have a look through but dont click on any near repitions of photos. Fare enough, but yet again I *coukd* not that I would say I think your photo site is rather complicated and too fiddley to access pass collections so I dont bother. As this type of thing works two ways, if you used fotopic , ok may not be as fancy but is easier to manover through dont you think? Any dpulicates, take my FL Bashford Hall collection appear at the bottom of the collection and NOT ONE duplicate above it, so out of interest Rob did you view those or click the "X"??? Just wondered???

As I said I am happy with the layout and thats how its staying, 50149 you may think their boring, myself and others dont so your point is? We all have differeing opinions and in the past have already remoulded my site (ie new background) to suit to everyones needs. Enough is now enough I think. No more "suggesting" ways to change my site as much as I admire your advice I am happy doing what I do and how I do it and I DONT pay fotopic permium for people to boss me aroound on it, for the price I pay it stays as it is. End Of.

Once again thanks for everyones views etc, as I said before taken note BUT if I were you please dont reply to this with more advice on it, I pay £50.00 for ofotpic permium and quota I have it how it is and my site has changed enough and it wont be changing anymore.

The 37 Fan

Well why didnt you view my Basford Hall collection, that is the top 8 rows as NO duplicates and all different locos!!!

Not a bad price there actaully, slightly cheaper than fotopic's permium price :lol:

rmt

The 37 Fan said:
Yes no problem I understand, I assume not a fan of Freightliner then :lol:

Have fun at the pub!!!

I am a fan of FL, but I've seen all of the stuff at Basford Hall too many times to remember.

I enjoyed the pub. Lots of beer is fun ;), you'll learn that sometime.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
The 37 Fan said:

Don't ask for comments about your site if all you're gonna do in return is throw your toys out of the playpen (again).

Also I haven't asked you to change anything. Al I've asked is what the point is of having 16 pictures of the same subject with very little variety in angles and at least 5 of them are pretty much exactly the same photo.

When looking at fotopic sites people generally want to see quality NOT quantity. That is a general rule across all types of photography, am I correct?

You can pick up all your toys now mate...

The 37 Fan

I didnt ask to get my whole agllery commented on JUST the new photos thats all, then everyone rants on and WOW suddenly an old collection from 06/04/2006 is found!

I do have hits and average 100 - 200 per day that I am happy with, when I update can have 300 - 700 hits a day for a week THAT ALSO KEEPS ME HAPPY.

I didnt ask for the whole gallery to be commented on the way it as so I feel my responce is within reason actually for once, End of.

T

Tom

And now in the style of 00Wrong:

I didnt ask to get our whole forums commented on JUST the new posts thats all, then everyone rants on and WOW suddenly an old post from 01/01/1970 is found!

I do have hits and average 400 - 1000 per day that I am happy with, when I update can put dupes up and also have 1000000 - 3000000000 hits a day for a week THAT ALSO KEEPS ME JUMPING UP AND DOWN LIKE AN IDIOT.

I didnt ask for the whole forums to be commented on the way as so I feel my responce [sic] is within reason actually for once, End of. Except for the other comments for this post I accept.

;)

rmt

:D:D:D

Well, I've had about 16000 hits on my site since I rejigged it all in March (works out about 120 a day), and I couldn't really care less. People look at my photos if they want to, I can't do much to change their opinions on it, but I'll try.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The 37 Fan said:

Who was getting bitter? No-one as far as I can determine.

If you choose to ignore my advice that is entirely your choice, and I respect that choice. But you will have to respect my choice, which is not to view them (for the reasons myself and rmt have stated).

There is no problem here; you can do whatever you want with your site, it's yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.