• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London tube driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcdcm123

Hi what are the requirements to become a tube driver currently a London taxi driver and looking to switch over, are applications still only internal or was that just rubbish in the newspaper?

Thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
LU have recruited externally relatively recently for Train Operators for the night tube. But full-time roles are still generally filled internally

lcdcm123

Sorry to be a pain but are these available to view on TfL’s website or am I best off looking somewhere else? So I can keep my eye on them for the next time they come up

Thanks for your help

Knowledgeboy

Hi mate.
In all honesty it’s a closed shop. Trainee driver is through working your way up through other roles with LU, unless you apply for the part time night tube drivers vacancies if and when they are advertised. Then after couple years can go full time. I’m a cabbie also and have been trying to get a start as a driver for nearly four years with TOC’s overground . They far more often advertise externally for trainee drivers and the pay is similar if not more with some companies. It’s a long slog. I passed the assessments last year with a TOC and been sat in a talent pool ever since. Had an Interview elsewhere recently but to my surprise was rejected as felt interview went well. There are so many hurdles to jump through it’s even harder than than acquiring your green badge. Good luck mate any questions you can ask me or private message me!

Last edited:

Lewlew

There has just been an internal campaign for night tube drivers recently and the waiting list from the last external campaign a while ago is still pretty full so it's unlikely they'll be taking on external applicants any time soon unfortunately

anglian96

In all honestly get LU out your head and go mainline! Better money better T&C better rosters etc and variety of work along with the ability to change firm if you wish.

lcdcm123

How do I get in with mainline? Just keep checking there websites for vacancies or is it the same only internal applicants?

MiNi

How do I get in with mainline? Just keep checking there websites for vacancies or is it the same only internal applicants?
Just look on their websites or indeed. South western railway,great western railway,southern railway to name a few that work out of London.

Bucephalus

And when a trainee driver job does come up, be mindful that you may only have a few hours before it's taken down, so be ready to drop everything

Knowledgeboy

Sign up for email alerts in every TOC that operates out of London. Also many operators require that you live within 45-60 mins commute. When you do applications ensure you get across how your experience in previous roles match up closely to a train drivers role. Eg concentration, safety, customer service. It’s ridiculous how hard it is to get straight into a train driver role. You need a huge amount of luck and the experience to go with it. If there are 10 trainee jobs going with an operator you can guarantee there will be 10,000 applicants to sift through. Just apply to everything that comes up!

Lewis5949

As an LU insider I can confirm the majority of T/Ops positions are internal only with only a few going external. However all applications are night tube only and then you go on a waiting list to go full time. Most people take the station staff route in but even then you may be waiting a while. LU loves keeping very long waiting lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.