• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London U12 ticket - is it unlimited tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdq

Hello
I'm going down to London for the day on Sunday 29th July with my son. I have a FF railcard. I'm looking on Red Spotted Hanky for tickets so I can use Tesco vouchers.

Journey - Wakefield (either) to London Kings Cross

OUT GC 0843 arr 1040 is £16.15 for us both
RTN EC 1905 arr 2105 is £12.45 for us both.

These prices are amazing!

If I want to add Zone 1,2 unlimited tube to this, I assume I only have to add it to one of the legs not both. As GC don't offer this fare, can I do Wakefield - KGX on the inbound and London U12 to WKF on the return, but use the return as soon as we arrive in London?

Finally, this ticket is showing as £14.95 for us both (just £2.50 more) - is this really an unlimited tube ticket?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Simply, a ticket to or from ZU12 will ONLY allow ONE journey on the underground within Zones 1 & 2. For unlimited tube journeys a travelcard would be best.

If you haven't yet bought the ticket, see if you can get a Wakefield to London Zones 1-6 ticket or otherwise buy a separate Z1&2 Travelcard on top of the ticket you mentioned. (£7 off peak or £8.50 peak)

pdq

Went on to the next screen and found the 'add travelcard' button. £7.60 for us both seems more like it, so I assume the U12 meant one single tube journey from somewhere in U12 to KGX.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you haven't yet bought the ticket, see if you can get a Wakefield to London Zones 1-6 ticket or otherwise buy a separate Z1&2 Travelcard on top of the ticket you mentioned. (£7 off peak or £8.50 peak)

If you have an F&F Railcard, you might as well just buy a discounted Zones 1-6 travelcard as there is no premium to pay compared to a Zones 1-2 one and is cheaper than a full-price Zones 1-2 one.

Yes, £7.60 sounds right as it's £5.60 for you and £2 for your child. It is the Zones 1-6 version.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
If you have an F&F Railcard, you might as well just buy a discounted Zones 1-6 travelcard as there is no premium to pay compared to a Zones 1-2 one and is cheaper than a full-price Zones 1-2 one.

Yes, £7.60 sounds right as it's £5.60 for you and £2 for your child. It is the Zones 1-6 version.

Sorry, I failed to read in the original post that the OP had a F&F Railcard!

Z1-6 Travelcard it is then :D They're well worth that £7.60 for the unlimited tube/train/bus travel in London Zones 1-6!

pdq

What age is the child?

He's six. First time for him to London so should be fun. Tickets all bought now. I reckon £36 return travel to and in London for us both is excellent value. As it's Olympic weekend I didn't want to hang around getting the cheap tickets.

We're going to the Family Prom at 3.30 so we'll try and see a few sights and have a ride on the Tube before heading over to the Albert Hall.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
He's six. First time for him to London so should be fun. Tickets all bought now. I reckon £36 return travel to and in London for us both is excellent value. As it's Olympic weekend I didn't want to hang around getting the cheap tickets.

We're going to the Family Prom at 3.30 so we'll try and see a few sights and have a ride on the Tube before heading over to the Albert Hall.

It is indeed great value! Hope you have a nice time :)

I believe John@Home may have asked the age of your child to advise that those under 11 years old get free travel on London Underground, London Buses, London Overground & DLR, hence a child ticket may not be needed for that.

On national rail services though, any child between 5-15 needs a child ticket.

MarkyMarkD

So, it would have been cheaper to buy a separate travelcard at the full adult off-peak rate of £7, instead of £7.60 for the railcard discounted equivalent for both of you.

Except that you are buying the tickets using Tesco vouchers, which you couldn't do if you wanted to buy a standalone travelcard.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Except that you are buying the tickets using Tesco vouchers, which you couldn't do if you wanted to buy a standalone travelcard.

Say what?

As pointed out, enquiring a journey such as Finsbury Park (or any other non-London Terminal station) - 0032 on RSH brings up the Zones 1-2 travelcard fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.