• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground All Zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

motherwell334

Guys does anyone know the cost of the above ticket and is it unlimited travel?? is it cheaper to buy an oyster card or a travel card and what are the restrictions, im thinking of going down and doing a bit of bashing then get the sleeper to fort bill and then back to glasgow..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Assuming you mean a travelcard (covers all rail rather than just underground) and you don't want to start before 0930 on a weekday, the options are:

Zones 1-2: £7.00
Zones 1-4: £7.70
Zones 1-6: £8.50 (£5.60)
Zones 1-9: £11.60 (£7.60)

The figures in brackets are the price with a railcard. If you are bashing then I would definitely NOT recommend an Oyster. Zones 7-9 cover the outer bits of the Met in North West London (beyond Moor Park) and associated Chiltern lines.

Clip

Established Member
Dont forget the Croydon tram too Mike ;) and for clarity you would need a minimum of a 1-4 TC to bash that

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you are bashing then I would definitely NOT recommend an Oyster.

Can you elaborate on the above?

Excuse my ignorance of the other capitals transport system but I thought that the oyster fare would max out when you reach the daily cap limit thereby turning it in effect to a travelcard (the cap being the limit for the time/zones that you use equivalent to the respective travelcard). I just use oyster but I'm willing to change to travelcards if this suits me better - & is cheaper!!

I suppose a travelcard could lessen the times you have to touch in - touch out. Maybe?

As a First employee alighting from the sleeper the OP could bash FCC* prior to 09:30 when the off peak rates start.

*just walk to St Pancras/King's Cross a simple left turn along Euston Road from Euston

sonic2009

Established Member
Do you hold a Priv?

I'm not all clued up on PRIV tickets and what your allowed to buy in terms of tickets, but can you purchase Season tickets?

34D

Established Member
Do you hold a Priv?

I'm not all clued up on PRIV tickets and what your allowed to buy in terms of tickets, but can you purchase Season tickets?

You can add your priv to an oyster card (should be a form for it on the ATOC staff travel site).

marks87

Established Member
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/when-not-to-use-oyster/

Basically, the risk that you will end up exceeding a maximum journey time [and incur a charge not covered by the cap] while travelling around.
I don't think that's right.

What that website is saying is that if you don't intend to hit the cap, then you need to be careful of out of station interchanges (OSIs). But if you're fully intending to hit the cap, it's not a problem, because the worst that can happen by exceeding the allowed time between stations is that your "trip" is classed as two journeys.

Of course, there might be a problem if you don't leave the Tube. For instance if you touch in at Euston, spend ages bashing then touch out at King's Cross St Pancras several hours later you might be in bother. But I'm not sure, so I leave it to others to correct me.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't think that's right.

What that website is saying is that if you don't intend to hit the cap, then you need to be careful of out of station interchanges (OSIs). But if you're fully intending to hit the cap, it's not a problem, because the worst that can happen by exceeding the allowed time between stations is that your "trip" is classed as two journeys.

No the worst that will happen is your trip is classed as two *incomplete* journeys, with each attracting a maximum fare and neither counting towards your cap.

Of course, there might be a problem if you don't leave the Tube. For instance if you touch in at Euston, spend ages bashing then touch out at King's Cross St Pancras several hours later you might be in bother. But I'm not sure, so I leave it to others to correct me.

That is indeed where you would have a problem.

marks87

Established Member
No the worst that will happen is your trip is classed as two *incomplete* journeys, with each attracting a maximum fare and neither counting towards your cap.
Why would that happen?

If, for instance, I touch out at Euston, then don't touch in at Euston Square within 20 minutes, my journey is considered "ended" at Euston. If subsequently touch in at Euston after 20+ minutes, I've started a new journey.

Can you given me a scenario where I'd be charged a maximum fare?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Why would that happen?

If, for instance, I touch out at Euston, then don't touch in at Euston Square within 20 minutes, my journey is considered "ended" at Euston. If subsequently touch in at Euston after 20+ minutes, I've started a new journey.

Can you given me a scenario where I'd be charged a maximum fare?

You touch in at Euston. You spend a couple of hours travelling around the underground and touch out at Waterloo.

The maximum journey time for this journey (Mon-Fri daytime) is 90 minutes so the system does not link the two touches but charges you 2 maximum fares.

The problem is not how long you're out of the system, but how long you're in it.

RJ

Established Member
Do you hold a Priv?

Minimum duration of one month and it takes up to 15 days for ATOC to return the authorisation form to allow the ticket to be purchased. Plus it's supposed to be for residential use so might be a bit tricky to get a request for a season ticket 400+ miles away from work base/home address.

You can add your priv to an oyster card (should be a form for it on the ATOC staff travel site).

Only if safeguarded or FCC employee and subject to the same authorisation process!

marks87

Established Member
You touch in at Euston. You spend a couple of hours travelling around the underground and touch out at Waterloo.

The maximum journey time for this journey (Mon-Fri daytime) is 90 minutes so the system does not link the two touches but charges you 2 maximum fares.

The problem is not how long you're out of the system, but how long you're in it.
I think that's what I said in my original post. The point I was making related to OSIs.

The reasonably straightforward way of guarding against problems with touching in and out is to leave then re-enter stations at regular intervals. Of course, you could still just buy a paper ticket, but I find Oyster far more convenient when in London because it can just stay in a ticket wallet, which then slips in a pocket.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think that's what I said in my original post. The point I was making related to OSIs.

The reasonably straightforward way of guarding against problems with touching in and out is to leave then re-enter stations at regular intervals. Of course, you could still just buy a paper ticket, but I find Oyster far more convenient when in London because it can just stay in a ticket wallet, which then slips in a pocket.

The point about OSIs is they can cause journeys that you might think are separate to become one. An example would be Upminster to Fenchurch Street then walk to Liverpool Street and go back to Romford. If you made the walk in under 40 minutes then it would add those two journeys together. When you touch out at Romford it looks up your overall journey (Upminster to Romford) sees that there is only one route in the database and that you have vastly exceeded the limit allowed for that single zone route, and charges you two incomplete journeys, neither of which would count towards the cap.

ashworth

Established Member
Last week I was in London for 7 days and decided to just use my Oyster Card as pay as u go. I would be using it regularly every day throughout the week but on some days would not be travelling beyond zones 1-3.
I thought about getting a 7 Day Travelcard loaded on to my Oyster but then would probably get one covering Zones 1-5, which would have cost me £49.80.

The total cost for my 7 days using pay as you go should have worked out at £50.90 which was only slightly higher than if I had loaded a travelcard on to my Oyster. However, the total cost actually came to £55.50 because I was charged an extra £4.60 for a journey from North Greenwich to Hampstead Heath (via Stratford) on top of my price cap for that day. The reason stated for this was that there was no record of me touching in at Greenwich North. I certainly did touch in at Greenwich North, otherwise how else could I have got through the barriers! It was extremely busy following an event at the O2 Arena, but I certainly did touch in.

I'm not worried about a small amount like £4.60. My question is would this have still happened if I had had a 7 Day Travelcard loaded onto my Oystercard or would I only be free from this extra charge if I had used a paper travelcard?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My question is would this have still happened if I had had a 7 Day Travelcard loaded onto my Oystercard or would I only be free from this extra charge if I had used a paper travelcard?

North Greenwich and Hampstead Heath are both within zones 1-3 and so is the route you took, so no, with a travelcard there would have been nothing deducted.

As a side issue, what may have happened was that your touch failed but the gates were opened by someone with a paper ticket behind you.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The reasonably straightforward way of guarding against problems with touching in and out is to leave then re-enter stations at regular intervals.

No. The reasonably straight-forward way of guarding against OSI problems is to touch on a bus/tram reader between your journeys, so that any potential OSI is broken. You do not have to travel on the bus/tram.

I echo Mike's advice on his website that Oyster PAYG is best avoided for bashing, if the cap is expected to be reached.

marks87

Established Member
No. The reasonably straight-forward way of guarding against OSI problems is to touch on a bus/tram reader between your journeys, so that any potential OSI is broken. You do not have to travel on the bus/tram.
I gave that advice regarding staying on the Tube, not stopping OSI problems.

HowMuch?

It occurs to me that people unfamiliar with Oyster won't fail to notice how any advice about Oyster from regular users of it (who are all too aware of its weaknesses) always comes hedged around with "shouldn't be a problem if..." and "OK providing you remember..." and "was only overcharged a little bit.." and "didn't have to spend too long on the phone explaining the problem before they agreed to refund he overcharging...". And the stories of people being prosecuted for fraud are very scary.

When I travel by train or bus I always want to have a piece of paper to prove I've paid. :roll:Not looking forward to electronic cards coming to South Yorkshire if they stop issuing monthly PTE tickets on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.