• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"London Underground and DLR Zones 2-6" to Norwich - break of tube journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Hello.

We're looking at travelling from Heathrow to Norwich, and the cheapest option is a pair of Advance Single tickets from "London Underground and DLR Zones 2-6" to Norwich.

Is it possible, using these tickets, to break the journey in Central London en route? And if so, I presume we can only break the ticket outside zone 1?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
That ticket isn’t valid to enter or pass through zone 1 so you’d have to take a pretty roundabout route.

Break of journey is not allowed on Advance tickets other than for the purpose of changing trains, staying overnight when necessary, accessing station facilities, or complying with the instructions of staff.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
No you are not allowed. Tube journies end when you exit the barrier and you have to pay to enter again to travel onwards.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks both for the info.

Meanwhile I’m still trying to find the right ticket that allows us to start at Heathrow Underground, stop off in central London, and then continue to catch a train from Liverpool Street or Stratford to Norwich. Any suggestions welcomed...

That ticket isn’t valid to enter or pass through zone 1 so you’d have to take a pretty roundabout route.

Is this definitely the case? I thought TfL was officially lenient on Zone 2-6 journeys in that it assumes you don’t traverse zone 1 but won’t penalise you if you do. (I may have been misinformed by one of Geoff Marshall’s videos for Londonist).

Also, I’ve noticed some inconsistency between TOC websites; GA for example don’t sell tickets to/from ‘London Underground and DLR Zones 2-6’, despite having (at Stratford) a major London interchange that would make such a ticket very useful.

jawr256

Is this definitely the case? I thought TfL was officially lenient on Zone 2-6 journeys in that it assumes you don’t traverse zone 1 but won’t penalise you if you do. (I may have been misinformed by one of Geoff Marshall’s videos for Londonist).

If it's the video I'm thinking of (sorry if not), Geoff was making a specific point about using Oyster/contactless that if the system can't tell whether you've gone through zone 1 or not, it gives you the benefit of the doubt and charges you the not-zone-1 fare. The example was Kew Gardens to Highbury and Islington.

Your case is different because you're looking for a fixed ticket rather than a pay-as-you-go fare, and specifically if you leave the Underground network in zone 1 the barriers would reject the zones 2-6 ticket as it is not valid there.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Your case is different because you're looking for a fixed ticket rather than a pay-as-you-go fare, and specifically if you leave the Underground network in zone 1 the barriers would reject the zones 2-6 ticket as it is not valid there.

Thanks <:D

island

Veteran Member

Meanwhile I’m still trying to find the right ticket that allows us to start at Heathrow Underground, stop off in central London, and then continue to catch a train from Liverpool Street or Stratford to Norwich. Any suggestions welcomed...
I would just use Oyster/contactless for the Heathrow-X and X-Liverpool Street trips and a point to point ticket from London Terminals to Norwich.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would just use Oyster/contactless for the Heathrow-X and X-Liverpool Street trips and a point to point ticket from London Terminals to Norwich.

I agree. Contactless is ideal for this type of trip.

I also agree with others that you can't use a Zones 2-6 ticket to travel via Zone 1.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I also agree with others that you can't use a Zones 2-6 ticket to travel via Zone 1.

Noted, thank you. Although of course, if we just decide to go directly from Heathrow to Stratford via zone 1 to avail ourselves of the cheaper Advance fare, I will deny all knowledge of this thread :D

RJ

Established Member
Hello.

We're looking at travelling from Heathrow to Norwich, and the cheapest option is a pair of Advance Single tickets from "London Underground and DLR Zones 2-6" to Norwich.

Is it possible, using these tickets, to break the journey in Central London en route? And if so, I presume we can only break the ticket outside zone 1?

Many thanks!

If it's most important to be able to do it on one ticket, I'd suggest a Norwich One Day Travelcard for £60.20 - http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=NRW&dest=0035&tkt=ODT

Haywain

Veteran Member
Noted, thank you. Although of course, if we just decide to go directly from Heathrow to Stratford via zone 1 to avail ourselves of the cheaper Advance fare, I will deny all knowledge of this thread :D
I doubt that anyone at TfL is watching thread on here in order to catch people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.