• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground celebrates Diamond Jubilee by decorating Jubilee line trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

Jubilee line trains on the Tube are being wrapped in decorative jubilee livery to mark the Queen’s 60 years on the throne.

The first of two special trains went into service yesterday [Monday] and will run up and down the Jubilee line until the celebratory weekend in June.

The second comes into service next week.

There are also 250,000 limited-edition Oyster cards available featuring a portrait of Her Majesty.

The cards are available from Zone 1 stations as well as at Heathrow Underground stations, with the exception of Terminal 5.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: “Across our great city, an array of magnificent events will mark this momentous occasion and be a spectacular curtain-raiser to this coming summer like no other.

“This special edition Oyster card is not only your passport to the easiest way to get around London, but will also make a wonderful souvenir.”

Transport for London has also published detailed travel advice for all those planning to attend one of the many events being held in London over the Diamond Jubilee weekend when central London is expected to be very busy.

People are advised to use public transport, plan their journeys in advance, and to check the TfL website before they travel.

http://www.london24.com/news/london_underground_celebrates_diamond_jubilee_by_decorating_jubilee_line_trains_1_1378594

I personally think that the carriages look tacky. There are a million better ways to honor Queen Elizabeth. The Oyster card, however, looks ok.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
Should we assume the requirement for doors to be in a contrasting colour to the rest of the body to have been dropped?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Don't you think one overall colour- perhaps purple, or something Royalish - would like so much nicer than all these garish multi-colour pieces of tat, all incorporating that silly Blue Peter Prizewinner logo?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I know the logo was designed by a kid, but will most people realise that? It is probably going to look stupid to a lot of people, and I wouldn't be surprised if nobody realised that they forgot to make the doors contrasting colours - and the news (or Daily Mail) will be reporting about 'health and safety gone mad/PC gone crazy' in the coming days.

tom1649

I don't like the livery at all I'm afraid. They could have come up with something a lot smarter.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I don't like the livery at all I'm afraid. They could have come up with something a lot smarter.

Agreed, it looks awful. I'm not too keen on the Oyster card either - looks like the typical naff royal even souvenir... oh wait, that's exactly what it is :lol:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Whilst I don't like the design, and agree that the logo is terrible, I am quite impressed that they've applied it to 96060

tsr

Established Member
Whilst I don't like the design, and agree that the logo is terrible, I am quite impressed that they've applied it to 96060

If that is the best logo the children of this country can come up with, I will continue to dread the national future prospects of industrial and graphic design!

Putting it on 96060 is probably the cleverest and most inventive thing they could do in the circumstances.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It probably wasn't the best logo, as you most likely had some hipsters judging that picked it simply because it looked like it was done by a kid.

Just like our Olympic logo and our silly looking mascots (even if the stories behind them is quite clever), it seems that it's cool to be 'edgy' and 'controversial' these days.

I'd love to know how sales of Olympic merchandise is doing (primarily the mascots) compared to, say, the mascots for the China Olympics and previous ones.

I'd also love to know if the logo was in any way enhanced or modified after being drawn by the winner.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That livery is even worse than the Lycamobile 378 rattling around at the moment.

Awful, tacky, cheap. I know it was designed by a kid but even so.

dosxuk

Established Member
Just like our Olympic logo and our silly looking mascots (even if the stories behind them is quite clever), it seems that it's cool to be 'edgy' and 'controversial' these days.

I'd love to know how sales of Olympic merchandise is doing (primarily the mascots) compared to, say, the mascots for the China Olympics and previous ones.

The Olympics has quite a history of silly looking mascots - http://www.olympicmascot.co.uk/

VTPreston_Tez

If that is the best logo the children of this country can come up with, I will continue to dread the national future prospects of industrial and graphic design!

Putting it on 96060 is probably the cleverest and most inventive thing they could do in the circumstances.

You've clearly never met a Prestonian graphic designer. Top notch. this is coming from the guy who's going to study GCSE graphics though...

The design looks good for a kid certainly, albeit what like a ten year old? I'd appreciate it if the design was designed professionally because it would probably look a lot better and I don't really like the idea of a lack of contrasting doors...

Schnellzug

Established Member
Are British Airways going to have one? I think their Olympic one on the A319 looks quite dignified. Or Virgin? Surely Virgin would have one. :-/

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I am quite sure that was deliberate. Is this the one coupled to 96097? I'm hearing there are two trains done, so I'm guessing that means two rakes so there's another pairing out there like this?

Or does "two trains" literally just mean these two units?

TomJ93

If anyone is kind enough to get me a queenie oyster I'll be happy to cover the cost plus postage :)

Dstock7080

Established Member
I am quite sure that was deliberate. Is this the one coupled to 96097? I'm hearing there are two trains done, so I'm guessing that means two rakes so there's another pairing out there like this?

Or does "two trains" literally just mean these two units?
I would interpret "two trains" as being 4 units, as you can't operate a Jubilee Line train with 1 unit.

The 2nd train will be released on Monday.

whhistle

On Moderation
Actually, I'd say it isn't bad.
Take the silly child's logo off of the train and it looks smarter than the attempts in the other thread. Not great no, but better.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
aye, without the logo it would be quite good- though still mystified by the doors!

Clip

Established Member
Don't you think one overall colour- perhaps purple, or something Royalish - would like so much nicer than all these garish multi-colour pieces of tat, all incorporating that silly Blue Peter Prizewinner logo?

That garish multi coloured piece of tat you refer too is the Union Flag. The top half of one anyway.

Much better then then bright pink that was on the central line.

Schnellzug

Established Member
That garish multi coloured piece of tat you refer too is the Union Flag. The top half of one anyway.

Much better then then bright pink that was on the central line.

that's what I mean. It never makes a good overall livery for anything because it's too complicated.

Clip

Established Member
that's what I mean. It never makes a good overall livery for anything because it's too complicated.

I dont mind it. Think it does its job of standing out rather well. Though they missed a trick by not making the front ends as a crown.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just get the driver to dress as the Queen. That would get Twitter/FB buzzing!

eps200

If your going to have it all wavy and such you avoid thick lines and solid colour, it's not rocket science.
The capital of culture liveries Mersey rail did weren't great but they did use some design sense.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would interpret "two trains" as being 4 units, as you can't operate a Jubilee Line train with 1 unit.

The 2nd train will be released on Monday.

Saw both today within a few minutes of each other; I think unit 96074 is one end of the second one but couldn't get the unit at the other end of it.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is it it 96052? Given they've managed to do 60, 52 would be the other other obvious choice.

Clip

Established Member
Was on one of these today. Filthy already on the outside. Mind you im sure they havent ever heard of a train wash on the Jubilee line. Though I do know they have one.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Was on one of these today. Filthy already on the outside. Mind you im sure they havent ever heard of a train wash on the Jubilee line. Though I do know they have one.
London is officially in drought, no train washing.

Status
Not open for further replies.