• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Circle Map (note: huge image)

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmanche

Established Member
The splitting of the Northern line on this map is presumably based on real proposals to do just that, and for naming the London Overground routes I would keep it simple and use North London Line, East London Line, and Goblin Line (make it official, and yes, I know that would expand to "Gospel Oak to Barking Line Line"!)
As an aside, I'd keep the naming of LO routes (and DLR routes[*]) even simpler and just give them line numbers - like Tramlink. For example:

• Richmond/Clapham Junction to Stratford
  • Watford Junction to Euston
  • Gospel Oak to Barking
  • Highbury & Islington to Crystal Palace/Clapham Junction
  • Dalston Junction to New Cross/West Croydon
  • Liverpool Street to Chingford
  • Liverpool Street to Enfield Town/Cheshunt
  • Romford to Upminster

[*] And in the future, Crossrail (e.g. Crossrail 1, Crossrail 2, etc).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The splitting of the Northern line on this map is presumably based on real proposals to do just that said:
AFAIK the Northern Line 'split' is not yet official policy, so may never happen. As for Goblin, how many times a day is one asked to 'pop in your Personal Identification Number Number' ?:lol:

Yorkshireguy

Nice.

Aside from the text not being in Johnston (any other font just looks wrong on a tube map, IMHO), I would tweak it:
  • there's some wiggliness that feels unnecessary, e.g North London Line between Gospel Oak & Brondesbury, Bakerloo line between Baker St & Paddington
  • I'm not sure whether having interchange stations in bold is helpful or cluttering (and is the underlining of some station names significant?)
  • Mark Tramlink/National Rail interchanges with standard double arrow logo for consistency

The splitting of the Northern line on this map is presumably based on real proposals to do just that, and for naming the London Overground routes I would keep it simple and use North London Line, East London Line, and Goblin Line (make it official, and yes, I know that would expand to "Gospel Oak to Barking Line Line"!)

Whilst this version of the map renames some of the lines, there is a another version which keeps all of LO as LO and doesn't rename the Edgware section of the Northern line. The underlining of stations is due to it being on Wikipedia as an SVG, allowing for the ability for information when you hover over it, such as the closure of Tufnell Park. Unfortunately for the same fact it's on Wikipedia means that the font isn't in Johnston. :(

simple simon

I don't like the first map, not just because of the mistakes but because its too confusing. Perhaps is is because its so different to existing maps and therefore it 'jars'. The 'work of art' aspect is a valid point, however.

The second map however is pleasant on the eye. Since it shows Battersea Park so maybe it should show the route via Primrose Hill as this too is sometimes used by Overground passenger trains.

re: the Thameslink comment, perhaps it would be better to treat all of London's railways equally and make it a rail map of London, irrespective of transport operator.

For added interest I'd include some of the rail routes which suffered disinvestment after WW2 albeit as closed ("disinvestment Line?"). Northern Line, two routes to Uxbridge, Stanmore branch, Palace Gates branch.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.