• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Employment Queries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it true that you can only apply to be a Train Operator after you do other work for LU/TFL? If so how often do they advertise for station staff and is it a good job/well paid? How much to Tube Driver earn? I am intrested in working for LU and am keen to get my foot in after school/colledge/sixth form is done with. (I'm 15).

Any answers thankfully appreciated and will be helpful.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and I currently live in West Yorkshire so would have to move to the London area first. Does anyone know how many LU staff actually live in Central London? Or do most live in outer areas like Croyden, Sidcup, Watford, Feltham e.t.c?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I believe they recruit for Train Operators internally and only very very very very rarely excruit externally. Similarly, they also very rarely recruit for the CSA grade - I've only seen the CSA vacancy once in my two years of looking at the LU job site.

Daniel

Established Member
If you're 15 try looking at the London Underground Operational Apprenticeship scheme.

carriageline

Established Member
They have recently done a mass recruitment drive for CSA, I have got to do my telephone interview

Tubeboy

When did they do that? :s

The last couple of months

Re the OP, I agree with Daniel. I work for London Underground, and thoroughly recommend their apprenticeship scheme. At the end of which you could be a station Supervisor, train operator or signal operator. Keep your head down at school. Get good grades.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/jobs/17156.aspx

You could apply next year as this year's intake has closed. The link gives you valuable info.

Last edited:

The last couple of months

Re the OP, I agree with Daniel. I work for London Underground, and thoroughly recommend their apprenticeship scheme. At the end of which you could be a station Supervisor, train operator or signal operator. Keep your head down at school. Get good grades.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/jobs/17156.aspx

You could apply next year as this year's intake has closed. The link gives you valuable info.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to move and live in London on my own on 13K per year.
Unless anyone knows any differant and it is possible?

NY Yankee

I'm an American with a college degree. I currently attend law school. I'm 99.9% sure the answer is no, but is there any possibility of me getting a job with the Underground?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm an American with a college degree. I currently attend law school. I'm 99.9% sure the answer is no, but is there any possibility of me getting a job with the Underground?

If you were prepared to move to the UK, you'd have the same chance of getting employment as anyone here.

There are definately a few Underground employees with American accents, so who knows?

Daniel

Established Member
Re the OP, I agree with Daniel. I work for London Underground, and thoroughly recommend their apprenticeship scheme. At the end of which you could be a station Supervisor, train operator or signal operator.

Sorry, defiantly no opportunity to directly become a signaller, almost certainly no opportunity to directly become a train operator, probably to become a supervisor, worst to worst a certain job as a Customer Service Assistant.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to move and live in London on my own on 13K per year.

Unless anyone knows any differant and it is possible?

You could get a season ticket to London? You get an interest free loan and a 75% taxable reimbursement scheme.

benk1342

I am an American with an American law degree and am starting in September on the Underground's commerical procurement graduate scheme. So it is possible. I already live in the UK, though, and am authorised to work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.